the burning man megathread?

Abracadabra

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 7 months later...

August 28, 2007 3:44 AM PDT

The Man burned on Monday

Posted by Daniel Terdiman

BLACK ROCK CITY, Nevada--The Man burned Monday night. Seriously.

For years at Burning Man, the joke has been, "We should burn the Man on Wednesday."

Credit: Elinor Mills/CNET News.com

The Man, not yet on fire, in 2005. The Man, of course, is the tall wooden figure at the center of the annual countercultural arts festival.

Well, late Monday night--OK, early Tuesday morning--the mantra came true.

As groups of people were gathered around, watching the eclipse of the moon, just as the moon went into full eclipse, word--which I listened to--started to filter across "Com," the official Burning Man organizational radio communications system, that someone had set the Man ablaze.

In the first moments, it sounded like a joke. But within a minute, the reports were that one of the Man's legs was on fire.

People in earshot of the radio--carried by many volunteers and staff members--rushed to places where they could see if the reports were true. They almost completely forgot that the eclipse was happening.

And within the shortest period of time--maybe five minutes, the wooden figure was completely engulfed.

On Com, most of the officials discussing what to do were remarkably calm. I was impressed, though, of course, that this has to have been a contingency that has been rehearsed again and again.

Still, it took several minutes before fire crews were able to get water onto the Man, and it is likely that, though it did not fall, it is irretrievably damaged.

As a reporter, I apologize for not being able to provide a photograph, but the burning took place so quickly, there wasn't time to grab my camera.

In any case, perhaps the most poignant moment of all, however, was when Crimson Rose, one of the six people on the Burning Man board that runs the event and the person in charge of the Man, said, on Com, "I want that asshole arrested....And I want the first shot."

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9767310-7.html

bilde?Site=J7&Date=20070828&Category=NEWS18&ArtNo=70828023&Ref=AR&border=0&Maxw=299

The Man burns early Tuesday morning at Burning Man near Gerlach. Paul Addis, 35, of San Francisco, was booked into the Pershing County jail on suspicion of arson and illegal possession of fireworks, according to the sheriff’s department.

bilde?Site=J7&Date=20070828&Category=NEWS18&ArtNo=70828023&Ref=V1&Profile=1184&MaxW=800&MaxH=600&Site=J7&Q=100&Border=0&Title=1

Burning Man will be rebuilt; arrest made

CARLA ROCCAPRIORE

RENO GAZETTE-JOURNAL

Posted: 8/28/2007

STORY CHAT(read or post comments) Zoom [+]

CARLA ROCCAPRIORE/RGJ

The Man burns early Tuesday morning at Burning Man near Gerlach. Paul Addis, 35, of San Francisco, was booked into the Pershing County jail on suspicion of arson and illegal possession of fireworks, according to the sheriff’s department.

Paul Addis, 35, of San Francisco, was booked into the Pershing County jail on suspicion of arson and illegal possession of fireworks, according to the sheriff’s department.

advertisement

Reno woman dies watching Lunar eclipse

Protestors greet Bush for Legion speech

Burning Man will be rebuilt; arrest made

SF man booked for Burning Man blaze

Bush pitches Iraq strategy in Reno speech

Nebraska has Nevada on its mind

Police: Owen Wilson attempted suicide

Related news from the Web

George Bush

Powered by Topix.net

advertisement

An arson investigation is underway and one person is in custody on suspicion of setting a fire to the Burning Man early Tuesday at the counterculture arts festival in Black rock desert, event staff said today.

Paul Addis, 35, of San Francisco, was booked into the Pershing County jail on suspicion of arson and illegal possession of fireworks, according to the sheriff’s department.

Burning Man officials said the 40-foot man will be rebuilt.

“We have the means and the will,” said Andie Grace, Burning Man communications manager. “The event continues on scheduled and the man will burn on Saturday night.”

Burning Man is expected to attract more than 40,000 people this year with the event climaxing when the effigy burns Saturday.

The unplanned fire was reported at 2:58 a.m. and attracted thousands of burners who watched in awe and speculated about how it happened.

Crews that came from three separate stations on the playa put out the fire in 23 minutes as staff worked to keep spectators behind a perimeter.

Burners yelled things such as “save the man” and cheered as fire crews began spraying it with hoses. No injuries were reported and there was no confirmed cause of the ignition.

The man’s structure was salvaged but singed but Grace said officials are rebuilding the man because the structure might be at risk of falling.

The art in the pavilion underneath the man wasn’t damaged, Grace said.

Burners said the stunt pulled by the suspect was unwelcome.

“It’s a sign of no tact,” said Jennifer Brucker, 31, of Napa, Calif. “A lot of people are probably really disgusted about it.”

Michael Murphy, a lawyer from Napa, said it’s sad that someone would commit such an act.

“Nowadays people seem to want to use terrorist acts for political reasons rather than by debating, taking or reasoning,” said Murphy, 56.

The man last required rebuilding in 1990 when it was accidentally cut up with a chain saw while in storage prior to the event, Grace said.

http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070828/NEWS18/70828023

Alright. This year was so fucking epic I'm having a hard time thinking about it. Yeah, the guy burning the Man on monday was pretty fucking hilarious, everyone I talked to thought it was pretty awesome, so I wouldn't listen to those news reports about people being bummed about it.

But that shit was petty compared to the fucking ENORMOUS explosion that happened on Saturday after the man burned. I mean this thing was fucking nuclear status, the entire event had smoking eyebrows after it. Here's the only picture Ive found of it so far, there should be shit tons more rolling in as people get back to their homes. You can see people on the lower left corner... that little blue string of lights is actually this big motherfucker, so you have an idea just how fucking gigantic this thing was. I was standing about 3/4 of a mile away from it and it still punched me square in the face, shit was out of control.

Go to Burning Man. Trust me.

I dunno. I took a couple of pictures and a lot of video clips that I'll put on youtube, but really, taking pictures at burning man is a fantastic waste of time unless you're really into photography. There's amazing shit happening constantly and it's a huge bummer to experience it through a viewfinder or a tiny LCD screen when it's happening right in front of you.

• 5 years later...