80's Hip Hop

Joker

Back in the mid to late 80's I had a 12" single from Busy Bee. And one of the songs was called "We drink old gold"... or something like that. It was in tune to a Erik B & Rakim song which I can't for the life of me remember the name of.

Pretty vague for information, but does anyone know this song by Busy Bee? And if so, is it available on CD? Or download?

Thanks!

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Now all I have to do is find this damn thing...

Artist: Mr. X and Mr. Z

Title: We Drink Old Gold/Kick It Wicked - 12"

Label: Urban Rock Records - 1987

Producer: P-Fine, Hank Love

Essentially a parody of "I Know You Got Soul," "...Old Gold" as the title suggests is a anthem to a certain alcoholic beverage. Mr. X, the rapper, matches Rakim's flow bite by bite over the same track with a little Earth, Wind, and Fire thrown in for extra flavor. Meanwhile, Mr. Z complements the mix with scratching that surpasses Eric B's effort. The song got over on mix shows that utilized the original with the parody, a trend inspired by the Roxanne saga and continued to lesser degrees on success (answers to "Wild Thing" "Gangsta Bitch," etc.).

As cool as "We Drink Old Gold" was, the real sleeper was the B-side, "Kick It Wicked." An early breakbeat mix with lots of dope cuts, this song included some of the first widespread uses of entire breaks instead of programming (to coincide with the trend of the time). It still sounds good today; this song was, and is, vastly underrated. Mr. X and Mr. Z later followed up with another single on G-Fine records that went nowhere and wasn't all that good. But at least they left us with one classic 12".