family guy/obey giant

casekonly

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by heavyLox+Jun 15 2005, 12:35 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (heavyLox - Jun 15 2005, 12:35 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-H. Lecter@Jun 15 2005, 11:10 AM

I don't think you can give someone full credit for paper campaigns,

I know for a fact that this shepard guy has/had other people putting his shit up..

It is all over, but that does'nt mean he put them there..

IMO its tuff to judge his shit on graff standards when he works on a different set of principles.

[/b]

^that's my point exactly...

I've given dude his credit for doing his thing, particularly on a business standpoint...

and for the record,he does'nt masquerade a graffiti writer, but he does know about graffiti

to a certain extent..and pays plenty of attention to it.

My comment was in direct response to this comment,

"why are you hating. the man gets up probably more than any writer or "street/guerilla artist"

feel me?

Originally posted by dELiSs@Jun 16 2005, 05:02 AM

I'm not even talking about that Andre the Giant thing . If you like that obey shit go rent the movie "THEY LIVE" by John Carpenter and you'll see what I'm talking about. It's obviously copied. Trust me that OBEY thing is not original . If you dont want to see it I can explain a bit. Its actually a pretty cool movie even though its old.

Good for him he is making the $$$. Selling clothes in NOrdstroms, the obey idea he copied is everywhere, he has his own magazine (swindle) post no bills,doing art shows ..

That's very interesting.

However the concept of a society of sheep slaves who obey their masters is not new.

This concept is all over the sci-fi genre....

In fact the very first sci-fi movie "metropolis" by fritz lang revolves around this concept.

Nice flash site for metropolis...

http://www.kino.com/metropolis/

Guest imported_El Mamerro
Originally posted by villain@Jun 16 2005, 03:27 PM

That's very interesting.

However the concept of a society of sheep slaves who obey their masters is not new.

This concept is all over the sci-fi genre....

In fact the very first sci-fi movie "metropolis" by fritz lang revolves around this concept.

That's pretty obvious, dude. I think she means the specific way the movie uses the "obey" concept, even down to the nearly identical typography. And it's funny, I hadn't seen the connection until now, even though I saw that movie a very long time ago (and enjoyed it immensely).

theylive.jpg

they_live_obey.jpg

Still, the Andre the Giant concept had nothing to do with the "obey" tagline before it became widespread. It got pretty famous on the "has a posse" thing alone.

I see the similarities... it's just hard to say someone is biting such a commonly used word in block letters is all I'm saying. The underlying concept, as I've stated, is not new, it would be possible for these ideas to develop independently and in isolation of each other since the concept itself is so prevelant.

I don't think it would hurt though for Giant to reference "They Live" as an influence if that is indeed the case. Just for the record.