Leave OJ alone

CATS

Wednesday, 24 October, 2001, 20:48 GMT 21:48 UK

OJ Simpson cleared of 'road rage'

Simpson's relief at the verdict was obvious

Former US football star OJ Simpson has been cleared of assault and burglary charges following a "road rage" incident last year.

Upon hearing the verdict Mr Simpson put his hand to his chest and mouthed "thank you" as he nodded his head toward the jury, who had deliberated for two hours. He then hugged his attorneys.

If I cut you off, I'm sorry, but stop frigging following me. I told my kids when I got back in the car, 'this guy needs some decaf coffee.'

Simpson testimony

The incident followed an argument near Mr Simpson's home in Kendall, Florida, last November.

Another man, Jeffrey Pattinson, alleged that Mr Simpson reached into his car and pulled his sunglasses off his face, scratching him.

Mr Simpson denied the charges, saying Mr Pattinson was the aggressor.

Differing accounts

The confrontation began after Mr Pattinson, 55, said he had sounded his horn at Mr Simpson's car because it went through a stop sign.

Mr Simpson said that Mr Pattinson got him to stop by tailing him, flashing his lights and "sitting on his horn".

His ex-wife was stabbed to death

The former football star had denied any wrongdoing.

He said Mr Pattinson shouted at him and he shouted back, then returned to his car and drove his two youngest children home.

Mr Simpson would have faced up to 16 years in jail had he been convicted.

Televised trial

Mr Simpson was acquitted of killing his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ronald Goldman in 1994, but was later found liable for the deaths in a civil trial.

He was ordered to pay $33.5m in damages.

His televised trial captivated public interest in America and around the world.

Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman were stabbed to death in California in June 1994.

Mr Simpson moved to the Miami area early last year.

Since then, police have responded three times to reported disturbances between Simpson and his girlfriend, Christie Prody.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

OJ. What a joke! Did you hear his testimony? He can't even lie good. I don't know about whether he was guilty of the crimes, but he did sound like he did some extra lying to make himself sound like the voice of reason when confronted by a "crazed mad man that chased him and his kids down with a 'Jamaican' accent".

OJ IS THE TEFLON DEFENDENT!

Archived