- ATHENS 2004 - OLYMPIC GAMES -megathread-

Guest imported_Tesseract

Guest imported_El Mamerro

I know!!! It fucking drives me up the wall, cause with other browsers you'll get a red x or broken image link and you can right-click it and try to reload it, but Mozilla (I'm using Firefox) won't show anything. I'm saying Red X because it's pretty apparent there's nothing between the words.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest imported_Tesseract
Originally posted by El Mamerro

I'm saying Red X because it's pretty apparent there's nothing between the words.

I'm using firefox too...i'm saying Red X because i loaded the page on IE after i knew somethings going on..haha

I didn't know Australia as good at (insert Puerto Rican Stereo type here).

that was lame. sadly, there is no significant puerto rican population here so i am not able to proplrly zing you. i was going to say making beans and rice, but that is lamer than this explanation.

:huh?:

Hey Look!

http://www.wannahaves.nl/images/images_static/miss/olympic/detail/nik05.jpg'>

Guest imported_El Mamerro

Australia: 82

Puerto Rico: 87

WHAT, BITCH.

WHAT.

That was a scary fucking game, which ended in complete upheaval at my place where we were all watching. We've ensured a pass to round 2. Next up... Tesserland!

Guest imported_Europe
Originally posted by nomadawhat

fucking badmitton... are you kidding me? thats shits silly.

but i guess the koreans are good at it. two korean team in the finals.

what excitement.

so whats the worst olympic sport?

badmitton

ping pong

speed walking

others?

Fuck you and your prejudice ass. You got anymore nonsense you wanna spit?

Just cause certain sports arent big in your area doesnt mean the whole world feels the same.

Both badminton and tabletennis are big sports to certain nations and we couldnt give a fuck about softball, baseball, fake ass "football" etc... Guys like you shouldnt even be watching the Olympics.

haha!

Friends and Money in Athens

By Jim Caple

Page 2

ATHENS, Greece -- I'm not sure how the scalper knew I was American, but I suspect it was the Minnesota Lynx T-shirt that I was wearing while I stood in line at the ticket booth outside the Helleniko Olympic Complex on Sunday.

"Excuse me, you're from the United States?'' he asked with a slight German accent. "Do you want a ticket to the basketball game?''

No, I'm going to the Greece-Netherlands baseball game.

"Greece? Why? The U.S. is playing basketball tonight. You should go to that. Only 50 Euro.''

No, I'm much more interested in the baseball game than watching the U.S. beat up on Puerto Rico.

"Make an offer.''

No, I'm going to the baseball game.

"Basketball is right across from the baseball. Make an offer.''

Hmmm. Maybe he's right. What if the U.S. gets upset by Puerto Rico? I'd kick myself if I missed that.

But I don't know where the seat is. I don't know the face value of the ticket. I only know that the basketball game is sold out.

I offer 30 Euro (about $38).

"Thirty-five.''

Thirty.

"Thirty-five,'' he says and starts to walk away.

OK. Thirty-five. I reach for my wallet.

"No, not here! We must go somewhere else and sit as if we are friends.''

A downside of the beefed-up security at the Olympics is the number of people who don't have anything better to do than be on the lookout for scalpers. The scalper tells me it's difficult to make sales, almost as bad as it is at Formula One races. Before he sells me the ticket, he must go through an elaborate pretense that we are just friends having a good time. So we walk to a plaza and sit down on a curb for a friendly chat.

He has longish blonde hair and looks to be in his late twenties. I ask how he got started in scalping, and he tells me he began driving people to trade shows in Hamburg. Then he began sneaking them into the trade shows. And then one day, a security guard stopped him and gave him a handful of trade show tickets to unload. A career was born. He's been doing it for three years.

He says the police busted him at the French Open this year, taking all his money and tickets and threatening him with jail. He avoided that punishment with an ingenious defense. It was all a misunderstanding. He says he told them that he wasn't a scalper, he was gay and he was just trying to pick up the undercover cop for a romantic rendevous.

"And I said it with a completely straight face,'' he says. "They let me go.''

We laugh at the story.

"So, now we are friends,'' he says and slips a crumpled ticket into my backpack. "Now you can give me the money. We are just friends making a small deal.''

I slip him the money and he shakes my hand.

"Someday, maybe we will meet again. And then you will write a book about me and we will go into business.''

Yes, I assure him. That is what we will do. After all, we are now friends, an American sportswriter and a German scalper. The Olympics have made the world just a little smaller.

And as he walks away, I inspect my ticket. It's worth 20 Euro.

My new friend charged me nearly double.

Jim Caple is a senior writer for ESPN.com

Guest imported_Tesseract

Hahahaha, thats a fuckin awesome story..so well written that i cant be sure that dude made it up cause he got the screenwriters gift...in any case, a good read!

Originally posted by Europe

Fuck you and your prejudice ass. You got anymore nonsense you wanna spit?

Just cause certain sports arent big in your area doesnt mean the whole world feels the same.

Both badminton and tabletennis are big sports to certain nations and we couldnt give a fuck about softball, baseball, fake ass "football" etc... Guys like you shouldnt even be watching the Olympics.

whoa there buddy. prejudice?? no. sorry if i offended any koreans for saying you were good at that event. i didn't mean it. (wtf? are you talking aobut) nonsense, yes.. i wasn't being all out serious. i think its kind of funny event, but i'm really not trying to offend. sorry there bud. and if you couldn't give a fuck about baseball, softball (which i really am not into those either ) and football (which isn't in the olympics) why should you be watching the olympics and not me? at least i have multiple medal winning to watch for. (jokes, homie) c;mon man, there's lots of sports being played and some jsut seem kind of funny or ridiculous to some. maybe because they are not that popular here but also because they don't seem to involve that much athletism. skill, yes. athletism, no. but i am not trying to take anything away from those individual and their fans. so lighten up.

Guest imported_Tesseract
Guest imported_Tesseract
Guest imported_Tesseract

this just in, Greece murders France on mens volleyball and passes on to the 8 phase.

Lithuania kicks US's ass....i think these guys will get the gold.

was watching boxing yesterday on telemundo and they completely did the Dominican kid wrong. he dominated thoughout the whole match but at the end the fight was given to some guy from Kazikistan by like an 11point margin.

one of the biggest screwup in the olympics so far has to be Mali letting Korea equalize from 3-0, plus having scored on themeselves to cause the tie.

hahh you guys are really smashing the US bball team. yea i agree they are pampered babies but you gotta give credit to the rest of the world, the competion level aint the same say around MJ & Larry Bird days. There are alot of overseas players in the NBA which helps to kill the whole perception of the US being invincible. Plus alot of the teams overseas have alot of high percentage shooters which you really cant say about the US.

Guest imported_Tesseract

However, the us is at the top with most medals in number and now, more golds than china, dopping them to No2...greece stands on 13, not bad

1 USA United States 19 15 12 46 1

2 CHN China 18 13 10 41 2

3 JPN Japan 12 5 5 22 6

4 AUS Australia 11 6 10 27 5

5 GER Germany 9 8 11 28 4

6 RUS Russia 6 13 14 33 3

7 FRA France 6 7 7 20 7

8 ITA Italy 6 6 5 17 10

9 UKR Ukraine 6 2 3 11 12

10 KOR Korea 5 10 4 19 8

11 GBR Great Britain 5 6 7 18 9

12 NED Netherlands 3 5 5 13 11