bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Bottom line guys... this is a thread for cyclists. You ride a bike and have a passion for riding then you're welcome here. I don't care if it's a jacked up tricycle. Appreciate that folks ride and want to share that with you, a fellow cyclist, and maybe learn a little something about rides you don't know anything about.

This isn't the fixed gear community thread... keep that in mind.

And since I mentioned a jacked up tricycle, here's one of my favorites:

Vanilla Tricycle

you know what bothers me about teh big manufacturers is how in order to drop the price points they go swapping out cranks, brakes, headsets, setas, posts, clamps for shit level or even off brand stuff. i mean i see how its kinda necesary to keep people buying, but it annoys me to death. truvativ anything infuriates me.

that said i had to replace the headset on my nago and got a cane creek because i wasnt ballin at the time. haha.

Bottom line guys... this is a thread for cyclists. You ride a bike and have a passion for riding then you're welcome here. I don't care if it's a jacked up tricycle. Appreciate that folks ride and want to share that with you, a fellow cyclist, and maybe learn a little something about rides you don't know anything about.

This isn't the fixed gear community thread... keep that in mind.

And since I mentioned a jacked up tricycle, here's one of my favorites:

Vanilla Tricycle

yeah, seriously, who gives a shit what you ride as long as you ride.

I've damn near got every bike possible except for a high wheeler, bmx and a trike. Last count was something like 23 bikes. I really gotta thin the herd. The last nice bike I bought was a custom Rock Lobster 29er. I'm running it as a SS, rigid fork and disc brakes. Love that bike. Vanillas are dope...and so are Badgers. I'm kicking around the idea of getting a custom cross bike seeing as how it's the only racing I still do.

Rubbish... I've seen several Vanillas at races, mostly guys on the Gentle Lovers team since Sasha sponsors them. I'm sure they still have to wait forever to get their bike though. The wait is crazy, and the price just as, but when you think about what you're getting and that it's hand made in your back yard... it seems so worth it. I'm positive a Vanilla is in my future. I'm getting closer and closer to my mid-life crisis and I'm not a car buff or an electronics whore so a nice custom bike seems appropriate.

Swedish... I ride the Optimo Disc as a commuter / winter training bike. I love it! It handles really nice and rides very smooth. It's a workhorse for sure. I would recommend it if you're seriously considering it. I went with the disc option because I live in a very wet climate during winter months and being able to stop is always nice. I test road the caliper version as well and it seemed to ride just the same, only not as heavy feeling in corners... or uphill. Ugh.

Steve... long time brotha! Glad to see you're still around. Hope all is well. Badgers?... never heard of that one. Time for a Google search!

Good alleycat (I guess you could call it that. more like impromptu race, but whatever) yesterday. Highlights include:

-Dude eating it hard on concrete in the dash to the bikes, rode the whole thing anyway bleeding all over everything.

-Some guy on a 29'er mountain bike who managed to beat several hipster track bike dudes by 5 mins or so. Props to mountain bike guy.

-Some guy getting arrested for blowing a light or god knows what about 1000 feet from the finish, going to jail because he had a warrant in Utah.

-Big glasses of whiskey at one of the checkpoints. Ick.

Big ups to el cheapo races. Someone recommend me a good online place for track wheelsets in the sub $500 dollar range. Nothing great, but no ebay crap either.

amorphic, are you trying to get a true track wheelset, as in lightweight rims like araya's made to be ridden with tubular tires laced to looseball hubs, or are you talking about a "track" wheelset that you plan on taking to the street... as in formula/phil/miche hubs sealed laced to some deep v's/open pro's/whatever... if you're trying to go the second route, benscycle.net has about the best deal you'll find, but it'd be good to get them trued after they ship because they're not the best builders in the world. velocity/formula (2) would run you about $235 shipped, more for phil woods/nicer hubs. dunno what to say for the first route because i don't run tubulars.

but if you can get something comparable in price locally, it's way better to just seek out the best wheel builder in town and have him build up your wheelset. saves time and supports local bike shops.

i actually just got the same whip for my girl, hablamos.

dropped the stem down on the steerer so all the spacers are on top.

the intention was/is to cut it down, but the "love nub" has grown on us.

its a tall frame though. her 53 has the same main triangle measurements as my 55cm pista.

first beautiful weekend of the season!!

Last night i rode 30 miles out on my beater to go see that movie fracture. Pouring rain. I was prepped enough with my ski jacket and fenders. After the movie had to ride back. Pouring still. After thirty minutes i couldnt have been any more drenched and it wasnt that bad. Apparently ski jackets arent entirely waterproof. And even with fenders my legs and my bike were still covered in shit. Brand new KMC bmx chain almost looked like it was showing rust afterwards.

Also, scrapped the concept, kept the cranks and bb, new frame fork and wheelset will hopefully be here before NACCC.

oh yeah, on the DH bikes. whats this new thing w/ the mini chainring going through the seat tube to the other side? just a way to keep tension and shit? never saw that.

yeah its a way to eliminate the chain from slapping/ loosing tension when the wheel changes positions during travel and keeps it from affecting the braking power...they pioneered that system and mad companies tried to copy it various ways which all fell short of their design

racelink1.jpg

racelink2.jpg

Steve... long time brotha! Glad to see you're still around. Hope all is well. Badgers?... never heard of that one. Time for a Google search!

Hey, what's up Joker? Good to see you're still racing. I still do a wee bit of cross racing on occasion, but really don't have any time for training due to all the other "stuff" I have going on. I believe the cross nationals are in my neck of the woods this year...and next. If you go, be sure to holler.

Badger Cycles. I checked his website and it looks like it's having some difficulties, but Rob's one of my friends and he makes one hell of a bike. Paul, of Rock Lobster fame, really helped him out getting started. If you're ever interested in one...drop my name.

amorphic, are you trying to get a true track wheelset, as in lightweight rims like araya's made to be ridden with tubular tires laced to looseball hubs, or are you talking about a "track" wheelset that you plan on taking to the street... as in formula/phil/miche hubs sealed laced to some deep v's/open pro's/whatever... if you're trying to go the second route, benscycle.net has about the best deal you'll find, but it'd be good to get them trued after they ship because they're not the best builders in the world. velocity/formula (2) would run you about $235 shipped, more for phil woods/nicer hubs. dunno what to say for the first route because i don't run tubulars.

but if you can get something comparable in price locally, it's way better to just seek out the best wheel builder in town and have him build up your wheelset. saves time and supports local bike shops.

I'm sort of looking for something in between. Clincher, definitely not tubular. Something that could be taken to the track and not immedietely smoldered, but also is down for streetability. I suppose I'm asking for the best of both worlds; Light and not as heavy as the Deep V's, but still tough enough to thrash on. I've been looking at Mavic Ellipses. I just don't want something that is going to be completely unusuable at the track.

i actually just got the same whip for my girl, hablamos.

dropped the stem down on the steerer so all the spacers are on top.

the intention was/is to cut it down, but the "love nub" has grown on us.

its a tall frame though. her 53 has the same main triangle measurements as my 55cm pista.

first beautiful weekend of the season!!

Yeah I test rode an 07 57 cm and that was just too big for me somehow (I guess they have wierd sizings) but the guy who works there told me that 53 is equivilant to about 55, or 56 cm, and I was confused as to this statement but test rode it and it felt pretty decent. I ride a lot but now after being hit I'm afraid of riding in certain trafficed areas and started wearing a helmet/no death. So this bike should be good for riding to spots/cruising around the city, we'll see when my fear factor gets lower again I can start fuckin' with traffic again. I think I need a bike with brakes.

I'm sort of looking for something in between. Clincher, definitely not tubular. Something that could be taken to the track and not immedietely smoldered, but also is down for streetability. I suppose I'm asking for the best of both worlds; Light and not as heavy as the Deep V's, but still tough enough to thrash on. I've been looking at Mavic Ellipses. I just don't want something that is going to be completely unusuable at the track.

look into mavic open pros and velocity aeroheads as well. are you a heavy guy or not?