bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

with the right gear ratio it can be done. theres this 38 year old whos beaten everyone whos ever rode on the BC trails with his singlespeed and BC is the best singletrack east of the mountains in NC. as long as you can get up the hills and you know the track a singlespeed will compete with a geared bike.

with the right gear ratio it can be done. theres this 38 year old whos beaten everyone whos ever rode on the BC trails with his singlespeed and BC is the best singletrack east of the mountains in NC. as long as you can get up the hills and you know the track a singlespeed will compete with a geared bike.

SS mtb's are slower overall then a geared bike. Yes, you save wieght, yes its much more reliable (the best reason to ride a SS mtb, esp if u are mtb touring), and it is possibly more fun as well. In terms of speed though the geared bikes are just better, which is why they are used 99 percent of the time in races). The execption to this i have seen is races that were ultra muddy and very technical (such as a race i was at in washingtons rainforest) or there is some section of the course very likely to cause a shifting related mechanical issue. I do know alot of adventure riders were SS for there mountain bikes but speed isnt an issue doing this and reliabilty is a MAJOR issue since if u break down u are in the middle of nowhere. Gearing isnt as important in MTB racing as it is on the road or CX course, but it still provides you with endurance benifits since you are able to maintain a good cadence on non technical sections fo the course both flat, uphill, and downhill where needed, With a SS bike your are probably gonna be pushing hard on any steep sections of climbing and spinning out on some fast sections. haha sry about the rant.

Fuck. I feel ya, been feeling the same way especially when my rear derailleur has been all kinds of fucked up despite my wrench tinkering with it. Sleeping is the worst when it comes to rash, I've been dealing with that for 2 weeks now.. ugh.

Last two days I've been going MTBing and having a total blast. Friday we went out on Ridgeline/Baldy in Eugene and I took my CX bike... well, climbing was great, descending sucked ass, tree roots were a bane and I had three different mechanicals (brake pads rubbing at the rear, slow leak front flat, bars tweaking in the stem). Wasn't so ideal because descending I'd have to be on the hoods to modulate speed and that put my weight forward a bunch.

Yesterday, after telling a friend at the shop about the ride, he let me burrow his scandium SS rigid 29er (!!!), a Kona Big Unit all pimped out with Chris King, carbon risers, disc brakes etc. Man, what a difference. Cornering and descending on that bike were a different world vs. my CX bike. So much fun. Even got the balls to hit a couple jumps on the trails and clear the gaps on point. The only thing that sucks is now I'm hooked and can't go back to the CX bike on those trails. The gear homie had on it was a good climbing gear too and descent on the flats, but all in all a great cardio workout. Brings me back to my days of riding through thick tree sections on my snowboard and finding lines. Still would like to try a hard tail though...

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/outcast29_08.htm got my eye on this piece.

rubbish..

go with this:

Monocog29er-blk-800.jpg

monocog single speed 29er.. i have one, and i swear by it. it's fucking bullet proof and i got mine for like $4-500.. it's fun as hell

i know of at least 4 people with them, and we all swear by it if ur looking into a ss...

of course u can get an on-one ss and ball out haha

rubbish..

go with this:

Monocog29er-blk-800.jpg

monocog single speed 29er.. i have one, and i swear by it. it's fucking bullet proof and i got mine for like $4-500.. it's fun as hell

i know of at least 4 people with them, and we all swear by it if ur looking into a ss...

of course u can get an on-one ss and ball out haha

word. thanks for the tip. i got a mechanic at my shop down to sell me his for 5 bills, ridden twice, but i think i can bargain him a little lower. stoked as hell if he still has it when i get the funds together.

see this is exactly the worn out trend im talking about.

is this directed at me or wholseuth? if at me:

trend? i think you should maybe do some research about what REAL mountain biking was...

anyone who hasn't seen that documentary and is in to mountain biking needs to.i don't ride singlespeed because its "trendy," i ride it because i don't need mechanical aide to be a better, stronger rider.

i ride bikes that do what i need them to do.

i go out for a ride, i ride to the trail, i find a nice spot and stop for a smoke.

maybe then i cruise out and back at a steady clip popping over roots and such.

i am by no means a mountain biker and the trail does not require anything more than i have.

would i go ride a pacific northwest trail on my track bike? no.

would i enter a road race on my track bike? no.

would i ride a century on my track bike? maybe.

would i ride my track bike on the street (gasp) to get from one spot to another? certainly.

i am not trying to tell anyone what bike they should ride.

anyone who hasn't seen that documentary and is in to mountain biking needs to.i don't ride singlespeed because its "trendy," i ride it because i don't need mechanical aide to be a better, stronger rider.

subliminal messeges.

and im getting my bike fixed up tommorrow

sweet