bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
actually, getting on it....you guys are right. My seat is to low (like I said, noob status)

when the pedal is at its lowest point my knees is really bent, not slight like some internet sites say.

also i can stand on the balls or almost my whole foot while on the seat....

but I like that kind of safety but I guess i am only hurting myself...i might raise it up but this is how i am comfortable

:(

dont judge me

the thing is, you may be comfortable because you have the safety of being able to put your foot down, but if you do absolutely any type of real riding on your bike at all with the seat too low, especially considering you're going brakeless, you'll RIP through your knees like no other. when you're running brakeless on the street, you have to be very conscious of good bike fit because if your fit is fucked up, it can be really hard on your legs. and the most important part of this equation is proper saddle height, and fore/aft position.

What is the point of the super skinny hard seats that everyone seems to be riding on? They are really, REALLY fucking uncomfortable to me. I replaced my stock seat with a cheap seat from a local shop that has a good amount of padding. It's not a cruiser seat or anything. But anyway, my question was what's the reason behind riding on a seat like that. Especially if you're doing miles and miles. Please enlighten me.

well, first of all, we really have no idea what kind of "super skinny hard seat" you're talking about. at the hardest end of the scale is the plastic bmx seats of the 80's / 90's. very few people ride these, they're hard as hell, but i've known one or two people to like the feel of stripped down plastic. than there's what could be considered "hard" by some people (selle italia turbo, fizik arione, flite, etc.). when you're on a bike pedaling for a long time, you need support and not so much cushion, especially when you're riding in a more aggressive position. in fact, if i ride and overly cushy saddle i get MORE uncomfortable than if i ride a firm one. also, upper end lightweight saddles are going to be made with the expectation that the buyer is probably going to be wearing padded cycling shorts, in some cases.

plus most of the time you are not on the seat anyways if you are racing.

not necessarily. it all depends on what kind of racing and what terrain. gotta stay in the saddle to spin those higher RPMs effectively.

yo and whoiseuth, there's a deal for two spin trispokes on ebay right now going... 650 though. that's the problem... very hard to find them in 700c.

bikeresize1.jpg

http://velospace.org/node/7098

My nice bike for sunny days and velodrome fun.

khsflite.jpg

http://velospace.org/node/7099

My beater for everything else / no worries locking up. Working on slowly upgrading this one... Dura Ace crankset is on the way, trying to find a 10cm 3T Mutant stem, Thomson or other 2 bolt seatpost in the future, and eventually replace the frame for the Kilo TT Pro thats coming out in May (same everything as my KHS but the tubing will be Platinum OX).

look what i found on teh intarwebz...super(duper)week 2007

harjq9.jpg

Look how Euro you are with the netting around your bandages ;)

Are you training for next year right now or are y ou going to win races again without much training? If so... I may give that program a try because I'm already tired.

i don't know. i've got a bunch of other shit i want to pursue, but its really hard to let go of cycling. i can't really decide, i literally have dreams about it. part of me says that i already dedicated 5 years of my life to racing bikes, lets move onto other things, while the other part of me misses the hell out of it. regardless, i want to start riding after the holidays, just because my lungs are so jacked up.

you do any lifting over the winter? what are your plans for this season?

Merry fucking christmas bikers. Soltice has peaked and I wish you all longer, warmer and not-so-rainy days!

Truth be told I can't say the last time I rode. Might've been a month, really don't remember. Part from the motorcycle and freezing weather I've been pretty fucking lazy. Definitely not gonna take January lackadaisically. Come friday I'm back on it, who's with me? Rah!

i don't know. i've got a bunch of other shit i want to pursue, but its really hard to let go of cycling. i can't really decide, i literally have dreams about it. part of me says that i already dedicated 5 years of my life to racing bikes, lets move onto other things, while the other part of me misses the hell out of it. regardless, i want to start riding after the holidays, just because my lungs are so jacked up.

you do any lifting over the winter? what are your plans for this season?

I hear you on that note. I had told myself the same thing toward the end of the season this year. Just wanted to concentrate on art... but the bike kept calling me. It's kinda like Graffiti... you never really give it up.

I do lift over the winter. Three times a week from October to March. Though I usually taper off the eary part of March because I'm so sick of being in the gym.

My plans for the season are to have no DNF's!! Shit... I had seven this year alone. My other goals are to place well in my favorite road race in May and the crit at the end of the season that I really like... which I DNF'd this year due to be really, really tired.

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Melton. Respect.

I had a Melton. A friend has it now. Gorgeous racing machine.

Yo do you know how rare that bike is?

The quality and craftsmanship is second to nothing. Melton is a very

accomplished American builder. He made all the USA team track bikes

for the 82 Olympics. Man the lugs on mine were so finely filed to such

sharp points. Clean lines the whole way through. Fork was tighter though.

23c only. Same head lugs too.

Wow.

You have an incredible bicycle.

Take care of it.

Pretty cool to hear all that. I know it's rare based solely on the fact that i've found essentially nothing in the way of info about him or his bikes. i know he did some work for huffy, and i knew he helped with bikes for the olympics in the 80's. a bike shop owner in my hometown filled me in a little as well. said Mike was a VERY solid frame builder who paid much attention to detail. the lugs on mine are pretty much flawlessly filed as well. the fork clearance is a little bit of an eyesore but i've gotten past that. i felt a little bad covering up the original paint, but it wasn't in too great of shape, and i wanted a white bike. i was considering having his original decals reprinted and clear coating them, but i've never gotten around to actually doing it. Good to know there are people out there who can appreciate the rarity of a bike. i love common frames to death, but knowing my bike is more or less one of a kind is a good feeling. if you've got pictures of your ex-bike, post them up, i'd love to see 'em.

if you've got pictures of your ex-bike, post them up, i'd love to see 'em.

PITOFMELTONS

No I don't have photos but I may be able to get some. Same decals as in the photo.

I was offered a DeRosa pista frame for it by the original owner after he sold it. No dice.

I figured if a dude is bartering a DeRosa for it, it is special. Plus I had a DeRosa at the time!

It's in good hands though.

As for your fork. No biggie. May be a different geometry for a particular use. An all around track/

trainer? Who knows. You have an incredible bike regardless of the tire clearance. That is always

an arbitary judgement on a track frame. As long as the #'s add up. I know yours do.

Mine was 52cm so that may also figure into it. Whatever.

When I was in NYC for the Downtown Pro Crit in 99 or 00 I saw a guy a watching the race with a red

Melton road frame just like the one pictured. All Campy ano box rims the whole deal. So we talked

for a bit and he was one of four people in NYC at the time to get a Melton. He only dealt with one

shop evidently. Anyways as the tale was told the wife was none to pleased to find out dude plunked

around $1500 for the bike. Now that's 80's $ too.

Mine was a really cool blue metallic. Medium but a little to the warm side. Dope bike.

Enjoy that ride my man.

yeah, the frame was originally red with decals exactly like those in the pictures i posted... and regarding the fork clearance... like i said, i've gotten past it. i'm glad i can run a few more tire sizes than the people with super-tight clearances. i'm gonna go clean her up just for the hell of it. good looking out.

got hit by a car last night coming again. it didn't really faze me this time: no injuries, bike is still ridable. the rear triangle "could" be knocked out of alignment and the rear wheel "may" need rebuilding, no apparent cracks or grinding noises though. immediately after getting knocked down i got up and scoped the license plate #, but the lady stopped and we exchanged info.

well joker, to put it in a portlander's perspective, i was coming down ankeny and crossing sandy. not the greatest intersection... i saw the driver, made the assumption that they saw me as they had just stopped at a stop sign, than the lady accelerated right out of the sign and into me... a buddy of mine got hit on the park blocks the other day too.