bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

Normally I could give a shit about kids like that... it just doesn't bother me. But I think it was hearing them talk about their coolness that sent me to the edge. That's when I started to notice the small bag on the hip and the U-lock perfectly placed between belt and jean, the pants cut about five inches above the ankle, no socks, hoodie on super tight with hood up... but resting perfectly in the middle of the head and not really on entirely, "Fall Out Boy" haircuts, both had lip piercings... really the whole hting became comical. The were actual walking stereotypes of the exact shit that gets made fun of on here.

And no... these were definitely kids who bought a cheap vintage bike and paid loot to convert it. They definitely paid more to convert the bike than they paid for the actual bike. Which was a head-scratcher for me. One kid even had those pricey Campy clip pedals. It was definitely odd.

They were on the streetcar ( Nerd... our streetcar is exactly like an Amsterdam streetcar, not so much a trolly like San Francisco. And yes, bikes are allowed ) because they had run into a few class mates ( yep, they were all PSU students ) and wanted to make plans to get drunk that night... on Sporties. I'm not sure what Sparks does to cheap malt liquor but it must be good.

As for the article... why would they interview someone who works at American Apparel? They are the same dorks like the two I saw. Par for the course... the paper wants to do an article on a trend and instead of going to the source they go to the fools who front.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

No thats the whole point of the article, To basically make fun of the people you described. Believe me Portland has so many people like that. And why the fuck would you be taking the street car from down town to PSU. O God ! Three blocks up to PSU, I dont know if I can handle it dude! YEah the 40's and Sparks are really weighing my bag down, its just too much too ride with..." And no I dont have an aerospoke with risers it was teh joke.

.. on Sporties. I'm not sure what Sparks does to cheap malt liquor but it must be good.

hahahahahahahahahaha.

its called a headache.

and that bikesnob article was golden. i would love to kick it with this guy around campus here.

and what the fuck is up with people riding with their handlebars upside down. i've seen it before here and there, but usually its some jay riding through the hood. But now that i'm in college i see it fucking everyday. its like seeing someone try to cut steak with a spoon, i just want to pull their head out of their ass and let them know that handlebars work a lot better rightside up.

not even trying to be elitist right now.

swedish - the point of those bars is to make some ghetto, DIY bullhorn/pursuit bars. it's not the most impractical thing, but it does have the very negative factor of making you look like a complete tool.

unless you meant just flipping the bars upside down without clipping them... than the point is making some absolutely retarded cruiser bars, further cementing one's reputation as a jackass.

Joker: Oh I forgot the trolly out here is really a LRV streetcar. I didn't even think of the

SF trollies! Ha Ha. I also say bubbler. Anyway they are small and gettin a bike up in there

is impossible (unless your Ed Templeton). Ha! skateboard joke.

Cross thread humor.

I amaze me.

(Sarcasm)

That is all.

joker--that whole "article" was written by one guy--nobody was interviewed--a mockery of just how "cool"fixed gears and the correlating scene are

Ah. See, when I got to the part about the person who worked at American Apparel... I stopped reading. Only because I knew if I read more it would just disgust me. However... I just read the entire article and now realize it's joke. And pretty accurate too.

rotating drops in the stem 180 degrees, cables and all => bum bars.

most often seen on 70s ten speeds (colloquial use of "ten speed")

ridden by individuals who dont like to be "all hunched over, it hurts my back"

or by bums (hence the name) who really couldnt give a shit about how it "should be."

otherwise,

i think clipped/flipped bars have there place and can be pulled off in moderation.

pace!

yeah, they look stupid but there's definitely more nitpicky things to get pissed about. for example, flat bars where they're chopped so narrow that you're pretty much limited to riding with your hands right next to the stem. or track drops that have been chopped at the drop part, effectively making a fancy looking flat bar that curves down but stops short of where you'd be putting your hands for a sprint (mostly popular in tokyo, never seen it in pdx). the profliteration of riser bars mixed with an aerodynamic front wheel is also a bit disconcerting... atleast throw some drops or pursuit bars on fi you're going to run that fancy shit!

/endrant

It's just a shame seeing some nice track bars cut, essentially ruining them in my eyes, to that bullhorn-bullcrap.

And the flat bars on fixed gears is all I've been seeing lately. It's just seems impractical, IMO. I like being able to get low on them drops, like a 18 wheeler (ying yang twins reference).

I just like to coast.

That article is golden, btw.

aside from cutting the bars (which are anodized = gay status), fool paid for a king headset and the thompson stem (of which i have the same on my roadbike) he/she couldnt be bothered to invest in decent peds? rocking those faggot ass plastic clips. i hope those uncapped bars give the rider 2 of the biggest holes in their thighs when they crfash trying to do some stupid skidding hip buck 'fisher price my first track bike' pose. FUCKING BARF!!!

i'm going to put it out there: if you think bullhorns are impractical and/or all for 'looks', you're exposing your ignorance to everyone else. yes, flipped and clipped drops are ugly and strange, but the real pursuit bars (nitto rb-021, for instance) ride like nothing else on the streets, especially since you can stretch out to a bit more aero position while still staying upright.

i have flat bars on my bike. they're more of a mountain bike handlebar (bontrager mtb handlebars)but they work well for me. i used to ride drops, but i would never use them in the dropped position. my back is pretty weak and bending over and such just didn't feel as comfortable as riding on the "top" portion of the handlebars... works well for me, dont' really care if ppl are gonna hate on it either, it's more comfortable for me, and it's pointless for me to have some shit on my bike that i don't use...

Ha ha. The riser bars on a track bike is good for work. That was real big in Boston

a long time ago and I never really saw couriers rock it when I did alley cats in other

places at the time. You can stack two copy boxes no problem and they stay put.

Can't do that with track drops. Road bars yes and bullhorns work good too. But I

have to say you can really whip a track bike around with the extra leverage from the

riser bar. Comfy too. Nice to change it up once and a while.

But the aero wheel is just stupid. At that point you should be in a skinsuit and drip

helmet. Not xxxl Carharts and 3 hooded sweatshirts. Ha ha.

I have to say a rationally built bike that is practical and properly maintained always

gets top marks in my book. Doesn't have to be all top shelf components either.

Hey like Tony form New York says "you wear it like it's official"

SO roll with what you got but...

"Keep it official"

Risers, bmx stems, jerry rigged bullhorns... they're all solutions to a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place. If you dont like track geometry, don't buy a track bike.

A lot of people in San Francisco use risers because they're practical, or at least more than track drops on the street. You see bike companies like Specialized and DeRosa doing that too. They'll make a mid- or high-end commuter by taking a road bike and put mountain bike bars, shifters and brake levers on it so the seating's upright. If you're commuting you've likely got a bunch of shit on your back so the less hunched over you are the better. I'd agree but Id rather be able to take a hairpin at 40 than worry about back pain.

Ouris make for awesome motorcycle grips. I'd post that in motorbikes thread but I think you guys could appreciate that more.

Hesh, what's that colnago look like?

whoiseuth:

It's funny you say that. I was thinking of pulling mine out tomorrow morning.

I suggest Craiglist. I have always found decent stuff that way. People always

buy trainers find it boring and sell them. I got one for like $50. Nothing special

but accomplishes the task.

Yeah buy a cheap tire for the back wheel. You wreck nice tires on trainers cause

they heat up way more than on the road.

Good luck.

Stay warm.

as long as you stomp the snow out of the cleat before you get back on, its fine.

the rest of the bike is mostly crap. mid range to real cheap shit. the cranks would be cheap too, but i dont really like fucking with cheap flexy drive train crap. that and i got the record pista cranks for free