what would black kids listen to if hiphop/rap never existed?

Guest MR BOJANGLES

don't forget that not every single african american youth listnts exclusively to 'gangsta rap'. but if it never existed, they'd probably listen to jazz or blues. something along those lines. who knows? but do you remember 'living color' or whatever the band name was? the black hard rock band that wore 'body glove' clothing? they, my friend, rocked pretty hard.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Are you talking about Hip Hop culture that Afrika Bambatta spoke of when he named the culture hip hop in 1980?

Think about what was around before Hip-Hop.....How about Motown. The fourTops, The Spinners, The temptations, the miracles, Marvin Gaye, GladysKnights&the Pips, DianaRoss, Rick james.....Shit I can go on for ever.

if there wasn't a SugerHill Gang and all the other MC's that came out after...people would have been listening to Soul, R&B, and other types of music that related to each other.

If Blacks are upset that White people Rhyme, DJ, and Break...then they should answer some of these questions:

1.) What is the % of blacks that are well known Producers/DJ's?

2.) What is the % of blacks that are well known B-Boys?

3.) What is the % of blacks that are well known Graffiti artist?

4.) What is the % of blacks that are MC's?

**I'm sorry for using the word BLACK I hate that word. but it's better then the "N" word.

Now everyone can talk all the shit they want to about white people this white people that.....but as long as you know the roots and respect it --then there should be NO problem of what race you are.

Lets talk about FUBU.....ooooh I hate that company... FUBU For Us By Us BUT....own by Samsung....YES they own it....it's pretty sad that everyone including trailer park trash are sporting it...umm maybe it's the medai....WELL yes it is the media. it'a all the magazines that you see telling the youth what's hot and not so cool to wear. Magazines are the Trend setters.

Let me stop....

Peace.

WhataJerk.

The Writer YOu Love to Hate

[This message has been edited by whatajerk (edited 09-19-2001).]

in response to T.T. Boy's post on the classification of hip-hop,that was excellent. it mostly rings true except i live in the south,so the classes are a bit different.

1."the preppy white thug"

gets into high school and decides to try and be a wigger,yet they arent accepted by other more "hardcore/real thugs". they usually have store bought systems in a brand new ford mustang or mitsubishi eclipse (care of mommy and daddy). they listen to lots of different music,but mostly the "rap runoff" that they overhear the "hardcore/real thugs" listen to. these people tend to dress in preppy clothes,but have fat cuban chains with crosses on them.

2."the hip-hopper"

these kids are the richest,whitest,and the biggest jokes in the south. they claim to represent all "all four elements" and wear clothes such as triple five soul,pnb,ecko,etc. they usually try to put on fake new york accents and use the word "yo" quite frequently. they get jumped and robbed quite often although it is no problem for them,because they get more cash from the parents. these are the people that during the absence of getting laid during there high school years will write "how to be hip-hop for dummies" and strike it big.

3."the real thugs"

these guys are by far the coolest motherfuckers in the south. they arent that bright,they're funny,and they usually like "crazy white boys". they tend to shun the two aforementioned classes,because they know that those people are worthless bastards. they have stolen systems in shitty cars,and usually always have cocaine and a gun in those cars. they know how to kick people's asses and hustle money,and listen to the most ghetto ass rap from the south (that just sounds oh so good!). but you have to keep tabs on these people's language,due to the constantly changing slang terms,or you will be left behind and not know what they are talking about.

these are the "hip hop/rap classifications of the south". ive come up with these classifications through years of observing people,although i fit into none of them whatsoever (im a white kid that listens to tool and the misfits).

NOTE:these are only the classifications for the greater south. if the level of respect these guys recieve elsewhere is different and you are offended,dont bitch,because as true as this post is,it is pretty much just a joke.

Guest --zeSto--

wait a minute...

If this has become "how to classify"...

than one very important area is being misrepresented.

will no one stand up for the Hip Hop Nerd?

there's all this talk of 'real' thugs and crazy white boys,

but what about the nerdy (read: passionately obsesed) hip hop head.

The guy who had Dr. Octagon 2 years before Tower Records,

The kid who has a mental chart of every producer/dj/mc como ever,

The guy in the club who requests obscure tracks but not to seem overly smart,

The audio man who remembers every loop, break and sample,

The people who know why hip hop started.

These people are hip hop.

What ever colour they may be,

they contribute to the 'culture' rather

than leach out it's life blood in order to be hipper than their peers.

these are my 3 groupings..

1. In it for life (you were born in Brooklyn)

2. In it to contribute to yourself and the sceen

3. In it 'cause the ho's best respect yo!

Originally posted by whatajerk:

Are you talking about Hip Hop culture that Afrika Bambatta spoke of when he named the culture hip hop in 1980?

Think about what was around before Hip-Hop.....How about Motown. The fourTops, The Spinners, The temptations, the miracles, Marvin Gaye, GladysKnights&the Pimps, DianaRoss, Rick james.....Shit I can go on for ever.

if there wasn't a SugerHill Gang and all the other MC's that came out after...people would have been listening to Soul, R&B, and other types of music that related to each other.

If Blacks are upset that White people Rhyme, DJ, and Break...then they should answer some of these questions:

1.) What is the % of blacks that are well known Producers/DJ's?

2.) What is the % of blacks that are well known B-Boys?

3.) What is the % of blacks that are well known Graffiti artist?

4.) What is the % of blacks that are MC's?

**I'm sorry for using the word BLACK I hate that word. but it's better then the "N" word.

Now everyone can talk all the shit they want to about white people this white people that.....but as long as you know the roots and respect it --then there should be NO problem of what race you are.

Lets talk about FUBU.....ooooh I hate that company... FUBU For Us By Us BUT....own by Samsung....YES they own it....it's pretty sad that everyone including trailer park trash are sporting it...umm maybe it's the medai....WELL yes it is the media. it'a all the magazines that you see telling the youth what's hot and not so cool to wear. Magazines are the Trend setters.

Let me stop....

Peace.

WhataJerk.

The Writer YOu Love to Hate

-THIS WAS THE KIND OF ANSWERS I WAS LOOKIN FOR - YOURS TRULY...MR BOJANGLES

Originally posted by bug:

i like hip hop, most people perceive me as white (actually only half white) and i'm glad i don't fit into any of your categories.

Actually "only" half white?????

What kind of shit is that???

Oh, boy there George..... thank god I'm only half white.....lord forbid being a honkey!!!

If you didn't mean that then no offense....

If so then that's just ignorant....

Guest --zeSto--

I can be down with hip hop, but no one can tell from a distance.

I can be a jungalist, but nobody sees that unless I let them.

I might be a writer, but the work speaks for me.

have I ever mentioned that Transcend is the most brilliant crew name ever?

Archived