ticketmaster de-preciation thread

Guest beardo

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/09/01/...ain570971.shtml

New World In Concert Tickets

Sept. 1, 2003

(CBS) Waiting in line won't help you.

Keeping an ear to the ground, checking out Web sites and other news about your favorite musicians might still be of some use.

But in the end, for many concerts, it may soon be true that only cold cash - and plenty of it - will get you the hot tickets you are seeking.

According to the New York Times, Ticketmaster plans later this year to begin auctioning off the best concert seats to the highest online bidders.

The paper says there would be no limit on how high prices could go - it would be simply a matter of how much people were willing to pay.

There is no indication at this point on whether Ticketmaster plans to have any rules to keep ticket brokers or scalpers out of the auction, or would allow all comers - individuals and businesses - to compete on the same basis.

"The band's biggest fans ought to have the best seats, not the band's richest fans," Tim Todd, 47, a Phish fan in Kansas City, told the Times.

An industry analyst is quoted as saying that prime seats at the hottest concerts are "undervalued in the marketplace" and auctions are likely to push prices up as a whole.

Tickets have long been resold in auction settings - particularly on eBay, which does a heavy volume in tickets of all kinds.

But in many states, the resale of concert tickets is subject to strict rules meant to protect consumers and give the small scale fan a chance to buy tickets for their favorite event.

Ticketmaster's plan, by contrast, involves the first time sale of tickets and does not appear to be subject to anti-scalper rules.

"The tickets are worth what they're worth," said Ticketmaster CEO and president John Pleasants, in an interview with the Times. "If somebody wants to charge $50 for a ticket, but it's actually worth $1,000 on eBay, the ticket's worth $1,000. I think more and more, our clients - the promoters, the clients in the buildings and the bands themselves - are saying to themselves 'Maybe that money should be coming to me instead of Bob the Broker.' "

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by iloveboxcars

that is insanity.

why did they even mention the guy was a phish fan? maybe to try to make him lose some credibility (no offense to phish, but im pretty sure everyone knows what im talking about).

actually, probably the exact opposite, to lend credibility. phish being a long time top grossing live act. ack like you know sucka.

Originally posted by Tyler Durden

ive already hated ticketmaster. i dont see how my ordering a 20 dollar ticket online can even come CLOSE to incurring a service fee of 18 dollars. are they for real?

seriously. a big FUCK YOU to ticketmaster.

I was thinking the same thing when my $14 mars volta ticket i ordered the other day came out being about $25. Such bullshit.

Guest Pilau Hands

I think more and more, our clients - the promoters, the clients in the buildings and the bands themselves - are saying to themselves 'Maybe that money should be coming to me instead of staying in the pockets of people that love our music...cause frankly, fuck them niggas, man! I gotta get that money, dog.'

most concerts i go to i sneak in some way or another the

the funniest was the other night at "the glacier" i told this girl that i could get her in for 15 dollars (tickets at the door were $45) she was like ok so she followed me and we snuck in, then she goes to me "didnt we just sneak in?" and i was like hell no didnt you see me waving to the bouncer and he gave me a nod? she was like ahhhh cool.

$15 got me and two other homies a 390ml bottle of water each. woohoo!

a friend of mine did bring up some good points:

1.all the concerts we see are stadning room only, and thus negates the auction of specific rows

2.this will be for acts that we wont be going to....spears, stones, springsteen

3.we have yet to hear from acts with clout, and how they will handle this.....phish, radiohead, pearl jam

spears springstein and stones have more clout than the ones you listed, dude :lol:

we'll see. i mean, another point is, whens the last time you got a prime seat anyway? covert ops to get close will still work. just worry about getting in the door.