colon calls it quits

Dick Quickwood

WASHINGTON (Aug. 4) - Secretary of State Colin Powell and his top deputy have told the White House they will not serve a second term if President Bush is re-elected, The Washington Post reported.

Citing ``sources familiar with the conversation,'' the paper said in a story for Monday's editions that Powell deputy Richard L. Armitage recently told national security adviser Condoleezza Rice that he and Powell will leave on Jan. 21, 2005, the day after the next presidential inauguration.

The Post said Powell has indicated to associates that a promise to his wife, rather than any policy disagreements with others in the administration, is a key factor in his intention to serve only one term.

Administration officials with possible knowledge of Powell's plans could not be reached Sunday evening, but it has been widely anticipated that he would serve only one term.

That would follow the pattern of recent administrations. Only George Shultz under President Reagan has served more than one term in recent decades. He took office midway through Reagan's first term and then stayed on for the second.

Powell was widely touted as a potential Republican presidential candidate after retiring from the Army as chief of staff during the Clinton administration, but announced he would not run even as polls indicated he had overwhelming popularity with American voters.

Although never publicly confirmed, it was widely reported at the time that Powell was bowing to the wishes of his wife that he not be a candidate.

Powell, who turned 66 in April, has consistently declined to respond to speculation about how long he planned to head the State Department, but has made clear that he has many interests beyond government service, specifically a commitment to improving education opportunities for black Americans.

``I serve at the pleasure of the president,'' he said last month. ``That's the only answer I've ever given to that question, no matter what form it comes in.''

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest willy.wonka

i think he's scared for his life if he runs for president..he aint no densel washington...but he is a government dog.

other than that...in the eye of the public, he's a good guy..i believe i caught him telling a lie when reporter asked him if he knew the whereabouts of bin laden

colon powells just as corrupt as the rest of them.

his son is head of the fcc (i believe) and had some big part in the time warner-aol merger, that made him alone, millions and millions of dollars.

its all nepotism and favors. fuck everything.

vote for McCain, atleast he's honest about hating gooks.

Originally posted by space base

I thought this was gonna be about Arcel catching some type of colon disease..............damn.

yea. i thought it was gonna be about his colon callin it quits and him shittin himself in a public place. im quite disappointed.

Archived