Old Cans Of Paint, Serious Collectors

Slyle CMC

all good from Jack who sent them, he couldnt send o/s so a friend had them sent to their friends in brooklyn. Now just waiting for a friend of a friend to send them, i know they are still there as there has been little com between the 2 friends. frustrating but i had a chance to get them thru this method with no contacts reliable in the states. Plastikote played a major role in my early years of writing, and my love of packaging has me regretting all the picture labels i lost. grenades......

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yep me too, such iconic items- best i get less romantic about paint! I love the idea of catalogs and chips as they tell another story.So fascinated by this side of products from the 50s, Australia feels a world away .

The signage and packaging obviously makes as much an impression as the cans. anyway to me they do

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some very interesting oddity cans of paint. Lets start from the left. Klenk's Epoxy is slamming with the thickness & coverage. Has a great smell to it too. Only problem is the valve system which doesnt except standard fat caps. The stock cap though itself writes a bit fatter then the average Rusto or Krylon caps.

Any brand of Epoxy paint is usually good , so I recommmend if you see the Trutone Epoxy pick it up as well. Klenks who is the major brand for Epoxy based paint usually comes in Almond , Avacado , Harvest Wheat, Harvest Yellow & Toast. The Avacado is badass, & so are the Harvest colors. Definately quality shit that runs along side with old Rusto.

Ok for the Hue Grey I never used it. Found it along with a case of old , old, old school 60's Krylon OD Khak in an old building a friend was buying.

Rusto Flourescent Yellow. Just an interesting Rusto oddity from the late 80's. THe Avcado in the pic...see Epoxy above. Growco Purple...Now this is the ill shit.

Made in California in the late 80's. Talk to the old LA graff vets about this shit. Sssssslammming. One of the best purples ever and thick like old Rusto too.

Craftworks Dolphin Blue...used to find these in some art & craft stores in the 80's. Made by Illinois Bronze company. Same company that made Wet Look & Wet Paint. Very solid Blue. Dont remember what the rest of the colors were. Good shit however

img20868xc.jpg

I found a can of benjamin moore aerosol called "RETARDO" at the thrift store the other day. I dont know if its worth anything but it makes me laugh to look at it. Definately dont think they could get away with that name these days.

Retardo Green was very popular with Smith , Sane & Jon 156 on NYC Subways in the mid 80's. See Smith , Sane thread for their old green blockbusters on NYC trains. That is Retardo Green. That stuff covered very well but came with female chisel cap system similar to later Red Devil cans.

Here are some very interesting oddity cans of paint. Lets start from the left. Klenk's Epoxy is slamming with the thickness & coverage. Has a great smell to it too. Only problem is the valve system which doesnt except standard fat caps. The stock cap though itself writes a bit fatter then the average Rusto or Krylon caps.

Any brand of Epoxy paint is usually good , so I recommmend if you see the Trutone Epoxy pick it up as well. Klenks who is the major brand for Epoxy based paint usually comes in Almond , Avacado , Harvest Wheat, Harvest Yellow & Toast. The Avacado is badass, & so are the Harvest colors. Definately quality shit that runs along side with old Rusto.

Ok for the Hue Grey I never used it. Found it along with a case of old , old, old school 60's Krylon OD Khak in an old building a friend was buying.

Rusto Flourescent Yellow. Just an interesting Rusto oddity from the late 80's. THe Avcado in the pic...see Epoxy above. Growco Purple...Now this is the ill shit.

Made in California in the late 80's. Talk to the old LA graff vets about this shit. Sssssslammming. One of the best purples ever and thick like old Rusto too.

Craftworks Dolphin Blue...used to find these in some art & craft stores in the 80's. Made by Illinois Bronze company. Same company that made Wet Look & Wet Paint. Very solid Blue. Dont remember what the rest of the colors were. Good shit however

img20868xc.jpg

Wet Look was made by NYBCO New York Bronze Company and Wet Paint Was made by Illinois Bronze Co. (Unfortunatley not ILLCO). Illbronze is the same company that made your harvest wheat epoxy. I am suprised you like the colorworks. I have used the avocado and was disapointed by the coverage of it. Growco is definatley good paint, and for awhile someone on ebay was selling surplus cases of it pretty cheap, I bought a case of what I thought was light green (Aquaish color) and all the cans sprayed was a watery metallic green, that would explain the surplus price. Funny how you talk about Trutest "AVACADO" it is the only can that spells it that way instead of "Avocado" that you see on other cans. Glad to know the art of diggin for paint is still alive with some people.

Wet Look was made by NYBCO New York Bronze Company and Wet Paint Was made by Illinois Bronze Co. (Unfortunatley not ILLCO). Illbronze is the same company that made your harvest wheat epoxy. I am suprised you like the colorworks. I have used the avocado and was disapointed by the coverage of it. Growco is definatley good paint, and for awhile someone on ebay was selling surplus cases of it pretty cheap, I bought a case of what I thought was light green (Aquaish color) and all the cans sprayed was a watery metallic green, that would explain the surplus price. Funny how you talk about Trutest "AVACADO" it is the only can that spells it that way instead of "Avocado" that you see on other cans. Glad to know the art of diggin for paint is still alive with some people.

Ahh I didnt know that Wet Look was a separate brand. I haven't seen a can of that in twenty something years. Always thought Wet Paint & Wet Look were the same company.

Believe it or not I dont dig for old paint. Most of the above was racked in the 80's except for the Growco which I traded paint for a very , very long time ago & the Hue which I found. I dont remember the Colorworks line much but I do remember racking that up in Micheals Craft & Hobibes. They didnt carry Rusto or Krylon at the time. Not sure what brands they carry now. Anyway I used that Dolphin Blue a few times way back then and it worked quite well.

Yeah spruce made them too, actually alot of can companies made lime greens, I know even KMART had their own lime green. Some older brands like Spray0namel also had lime greens, along with wet look and wet paint. Red Devil had a lime, and rusto had a lime in their speedy dry lime. I think Metal Man Ed has a pretty good collection of limes, I know he was collecting them a few years ago.

A question for you old school paint junkies. I have several old Rusto Pound cans from late 80's. None of them work , and none of them had been ever used before. What would be the cause of them not working. I have much older Rustos then this that still work. Also one can had some clear brownish silicion-y looking stuff leaking out.

Yeah I get this alot with some older cans. It is as if the solvents in the tube have dried up, because the can still has pressure but nothing sprays. One thing you can try is a "blaster" cap. You can use the old style wd-40 cap, or take a stock cap, pull out the center piece and cut the notch on the stem so it can allow the most amount of paint to spray out. Sometimes when paint hardens in the valve this larger opening and free flowing cap will help clear it out. If all else fails there is always ebay.....

Archived