KAWS Thread

Ronnie Dobbs

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Dr. Doom

KAWS is the illest! He got me so amped on legible, smooth flowing letters! Too fucking ill! All the haters on this thread need to be ashamed that any of you negative fucks ever mentioned this mans name! He's too fucking ill! You can say he's simple or whatever you want but he's done shit none of the cyber pussies would do! Just too fucking ill! That wholecar on the hopper got me psyched on doing wholecars years ago! The others in Can Control too!

Kaws is a legend to me!

wow trew, off the chain bro....can someone tell me are those billboard advertisements done in paint? or is it stickers? or markers or what? why dont heads manipukate shit like that anymore? i mean if there is one thing in this world i would think needs a visual "fuck with" itd be fucking advertising.....those shots really just uped my appreciation for this guy....lovin it......

Guest KING OF HELL

i really wanted to like KAWS but his shit always seemed akward to me. i only ever liked two things from him. his piece on the Defective Film wall, and that black and white jammy on the first page with the tail end of something red just to theleft of it.

• 3 months later...

how?

yo how does Kaws do those pay fones and bus stops? did he actually do it through companies.. or is he adding em on to the bus stops illegally?

thats soommeeee crazzyyy shit if it is illegall... so dopeee either way

i been seeing those clean kaws pieces forever, love that shit... kaws is dope..keepin it crisy with those fadesss and tight can control.. new riters dont get that...

• 6 months later...

Re: how?

Originally posted by NAUTER

yo how does Kaws do those pay fones and bus stops? did he actually do it through companies.. or is he adding em on to the bus stops illegally?

thats soommeeee crazzyyy shit if it is illegall... so dopeee either way

i been seeing those clean kaws pieces forever, love that shit... kaws is dope..keepin it crisy with those fadesss and tight can control.. new riters dont get that...

He has a master key for the bus stops and pay phones which he uses to remove the advertisement posters. He then takes the posters home, paints them, and replaces them the next night:D

The kaws interview with spinemagazine.com

Kaws

Kawsing Chaos

We caught up with Kaws while on his London tour and worked the angles on his unique brand of graf and customisation.

" i grew up skating and everything whiles i was at elementary school and kids around my way where writing jersay city defintitely wasn't new york abd i wasent't part of the train scene at all. we were just tagginh and whatere - nothing to far out - but it just kinda leads to ... well, i had been paiting ever since i was little anyway"

Was the classic New York/Subway Art/Style Wars/train scene inspirational to you as regards you starting to paint graf?

"It really wasn't. Of course when you first discover all that stuff it's impressive, but for me it was things like going down to the wall of fame in Jersey City... We would go down there at night and just touch the pieces and see how the paint was so crisp and it was just layered with tons and tons of pieces. And we were like, 'Who's doing this?'. I was never into hanging out with a bunch of people but through painting you kinda get these strong ties with kids that you paint with. You just go and you paint together and then go and get something to eat.. then you go home and it's like 'see ya tomorrow'...

It's nice - the friendships you have are productive."

I know what you mean... I have mates who are my writing mates and that's it! But they're definitely some of my best friends...

"Yeah - you don't know them but you've painted with them for five years! It's good though. When you go through things like hiding for three hours you get these strong ties. If you go for dinner with a group of people it's all fake sometimes... But when you go through shit when you're painting it's different."

How did you hook up with the FC boys and the TC5 crew? Was that simply through just painting a lot? Or were you formally introduced?

"Yeah, it was just painting a lot. I really was painting a lot and when I went to school in Manhattan I hooked up with people like Sub and started doing pieces together a lot. Somewhere I met this writer Jel who was one of the original members of FC and he introduced me to West and all those guys - and when I started painting with them I started to meet other writers who I got on with.

I prefer to go just with a person now. I was doing these walls with like ten or fifteen other people and they became these big productions and I kinda reverted doing the phone booths again. With the productions you have to compromise what you're doing sometimes - and when you're doing graf, the last thing you want to do is compromise! You want to do exactly what you want to do. If you want to leave midway and say, 'Fuck it - I'm not finishing this piece!', you do. With those big productions you can't do that."

Do you still do letters? The reason I started getting into your stuff was because I liked your letters - but it seems you're mostly known for your characters now...

"Not really... I've been running with the same outline for four years anyway! I kinda see my outline now as another logo. If I do go out and paint in the neighbourhood it's usually rooftops or trucks and it's really nothing artistic - it's more about being with a friend and hanging out that night."

How did you first get into the billboards and stuff?

"The first one was the Captain Morgan billboard - it was just a great spot. The billboard happened to be in this spot and I was like, 'Yeah I can do that'."

Was it a conscious thing to do it on a billboard?

"No - it was just like, 'Yeah - this spot... the train comes round and everyone is going to see it'. It just happened to be a billboard. And as I was doing it, I just decided to cut my letters for the Captain Morgan character. And this was while I was doing those two or three day productions - and this had taken just 40 minutes! The advertising people had done all the background work for me!"

How long was it up for?

"About three months. It was really rewarding!"

How many billboards did you do altogether?

"Altogether, probably 10 or less. There hasn't been that many. I did another Captain Morgan in '95... some with Twist in San Francisco.

have you ever been approached by ad agancies to do anything with them?

"no - it's more like 'hey - we like what you're doing our next canpaign is like...'. it's interesting for me. i like to meet people from differnt fields."

" the big misconception is that i'm anti-advertising: i'm not. it's not that at all. it's simply more of a visual thing. some companies might want to collaborate and you see right throught it. but some you thing could relly do something good."

"but some companies you definitely feel like you're letting a piece of yourself go. thos compaines you just know are thinking. ' we can sell 200.000 units' and not 'oh. we can make something good here"

Were you doing the bus-stop posters at the same time as the billboards. Or did they appear later on?

"Yeah - around that point, Twist actually had a key to get into the shelters so we could remove the posters. Twist was installing full paintings into them already... you could say that he ruined my graf career! (laughter) I started thinking about what I could do. That key opened phone booths in New York, but the bus shelters had master locks on them. So it was a case of getting the locks and getting locksmiths to make keys for me. It was interesting when I came to London in '97..."

Oh yeah - you did one at Paddington, right?

"Oh, you've seen that? Yeah, I did Paddington and Baker Street - I did about four in London. It was enough at the time. It's easy to do it, but in London you know that every minute you're doing it you're being filmed. Coming from another country you don't know the repercussions or how relaxed they are. I got chased in one tunnel here in London. This big official dude came up and we were on the floor rolling up the posters - we were taking them away to paint on - and he was like, 'What are you doing?'. I just handed him the posters and he was just yelling, 'Come with me! We're gonna sort this out with the police!' and we were like, 'Naaah - we're gonna go this way' - and he just stood there looking at us. We were running and we looked back and he was just standing there with the posters. He just didn't know if we were doing anything wrong. We just got out and got a cab."

Have you ever had any trouble from the advertising companies?

"Naaah - they love it! It's like, what am I doing? I'm getting their posters up with clothes or whatever two seasons later!"

Do you still put the posters up in New York?

"A bit, yeah. The black and white stuff. I stopped doing the ads for a while and tried the other stuff to see how it looks."

Do you watch the websites like eBay and see people selling your artwork and stuff? We've all seen the toys and everything - there's a real big market for your figures and artwork on the web...

"Y'know, it's fucked up! I get calls for stuff on eBay and looking at that stuff you get addicted - like, this guy in Singapore is selling bootlegs and this guy in Hong Kong is selling bootlegs... As for adverts, there's only been one."

Was it a real one?

"Yeah, it was. Actually a fuckin' friend of mine bought it! And he was like, 'Can you sign this?'. Another friend of mine busted out the glass on both sides of a bus shelter. I put it in, photographed it on the Saturday and thought I should photograph it again on the Sunday - came back and there was piles of glass on the floor! And I got a call from a friend saying that this other guy had called him and that he had taken it and was gonna call me! He was psyched! He thought I'd be psyched too! I was like.... damn! And this guy's like an art director - he does commercials for Jaguar and stuff. I don't like to give paintings away! It's more fun to reach all different kinds of people..."

Well, you've reached a wider slice of people than most graf writers reach...

"There's a cool side to graf, but it kinda excludes the normal person. There's also the thing of wanting to reach the people that you don't normally get to. Use a language that hits all people. Another reason I started hitting up the advertisements was because it's a slice of time. If you look at the first stuff I was doing, those campaigns just look weird now! You remember that time. It's funny to see people feel almost comfortable with the advertisements because they recognise it. That's the reason why the word has been able to get out as much as it has."

from spine magazine

kaws had a good career. he started the bill board craze. he was one of the early guys to do a lot of freights in jersey. he had his own style(which was against the trends of the time) and did a decent amount of bombing. he had a lot of good, highly visible illegal spots around the hoboken/jersey city area that you saw riding the the trains when that area was not yet so gentrified.

it is true that he never would have got all the fame if his friend tdee didn't make undercover, which for several years was the premier american graffiti magazine. a lot of jersey writers were kind of bitter about that but its so long ago that in hindsight i think everyone would have to give kaws credit for what he did do.

Archived