Stenciling 101

FR8 LIFE

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by SkullcrusherMountian@Jan 14 2006, 07:52 PM

what is the best way to make shirts with stencils? ive made the stecncials and ive used spray paint and bleach but is there a better paint for shirts?

read the tutes section of Stencil revolution...nevermind its down now...thers fabric paint and also, use photo mount on the back of the stencil and use acetate for the stencil otherwise itll bleed under

Guest Sparoism

I'm sure this has been covered, but I just made some reverse stencils by tagging on some card stock, cutting the tag out so all the letters connected, then spraypainting the cutout tag.....looks like this-

[attachmentid=27743]

I've been getting tons of miscut card stock and bristol board from my local paper store for years...not to mention sticker stock. I buy it, since their dumpster is locked...but for ten bucks I'll get a stack of 18"x24" stock that will last me anywhere from three to six months. Recently, I realized that I could make sketchbooks on my sewing machine, so now I just use those...the cool thing is that I can make them any size I want to, as long as they fit under the presser foot.

I've found that card stock lasts as long as stencil board if I go easy on the paint by using a misting cap (hooded gray w/blue dot)- they won't load up as bad. If you use the same stencil all the time, you can make a photocopy of your negative and have it laminated, then cut it and burn the edges with a lighter just enought to melt but not distort them.

That's almost as good as a metal stencil, but much cheaper.

Oh, and I highly recommend OLFA over any other knife. The top of the line one with the black blades will cut at least twice as long as Xactos will....and always use a sharp blade so you don't drag.

Have fun!

Im trying to make some very large stencils, and im having trouble figuring out how do to it efficently. At first I was going to use a big peice of cardboard, but it would be pretty sketchy walking around holding it. Then I decided to print out my image on multiple peices of paper, get them laminated, and stencil them one at a time. It worked, but not very well. Its pretty difficult to line all the seperate pieces up correctly on a wall. The next thing im going to try is cutting the stencil on a big peice of plastic, like a heavy duty garbage bag perhaps.

Does anyone have any good ideas for me?

• 2 weeks later...

i know no one has posted in this thread since S is back up but in case someone does see this can you tell me how to make those stencils that look like photos. i understand layers and everything but are the greytones just different layers of shadowing and do you use a base layer for skintone or just use the background?

fuck all you

Basicly, all of the layers are different tones of shadow, highlight, and midtone. Just do the same as you would for a normal multilayer but do more layers. You will also find that making your black layer more detailed makes it look far more photorealistic than just doing hundreds of tones. You're going to need your black layer to be perfect if you want it to look real, and that takes practice.

Post your results and i can give you some tips

Peace

H

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice poli, for the multi-tone stenil question- to get the greytones just set it to black and white and then seperate it from like darkest, dark, light, lightest and theres a 4 tone stencil. On the 30 day trial for Photoshop it's got the posterize filter and I just use that all the time. You probably already found out how on SR but whatever lol.

• 3 weeks later...

pretty shit quality pic, but this stenil i did over a year ago when i did stencils and not handstyles. i now do handstyles, but this stencil is far ebtter than most shit on this thread(from the ones i've seen). i think the layers are lined up pretty perfectly. props to poli for his stencil tho, sick man.[ATTACH]29228.vB[/ATTACH]

tank9pc.jpg.224e9f8412530efe8b0bdc040b5d19e6.jpg

The best way i found was to use lamination paper...U can either draw your sketch on paper and then laminate it,use photoshop for the negitive which makes it easier to cut out the image or go to kinko's and ask them for their scrap lamination laying around.They will usally give it to u for free...The best site to learn is StencilRevolution.com They have a tutorial section..Go peep it!!

Archived