Stenciling 101

FR8 LIFE

If you can afford it, the stencil paper, usually precut at your local art store, is a sturdy paper that allows many uses and intricate cutting. It is soaked in oil, so it may smell bad at first. The smell goes away but the paper never soaks the paint. One friend’s stencil was brush-painted over 100 times and is still in great shape.

what kind of oil do they use??? has anyone tried waxing the paper??? i wonder if that would make it last longer with out cracking..

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Boar103@Mar 26 2005, 01:50 AM

If you can afford it, the stencil paper, usually precut at your local art store, is a sturdy paper that allows many uses and intricate cutting. It is soaked in oil, so it may smell bad at first. The smell goes away but the paper never soaks the paint. One friend’s stencil was brush-painted over 100 times and is still in great shape.

what kind of oil do they use??? has anyone tried waxing the paper??? i wonder if that would make it last longer with out cracking..

YO MAN THANKS ALOT .... BIG UPS 2 U HELPING ME OUT MAN CATCH U LATER DAWG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

has anyone found an easy way to spray complicated as stencils onto walls??

i tried this one and it had too many parts and the wallpaper i cut it with was too flimsy. i tried adheisive but then it was a sticky paint disaster.

i think ill go back to simple stencils. lucky i wasnt on the street.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For smaller stencils you can get those plastic cheap binders with the see through shit in front and put your image under it. Cut that shit out and then pull the plastic off. Put it in the folder and you are good to go. Crisp lines and easy storage, what more can you ask?

my girl showed me that you can go to your locall hospital and ask them for left over x-rays and just use those for stencils. they work wonderful but you need a fresh x-acto everytime you cut one.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Abc Eater

Okay here we go guys my question is how the fuck would you spray on a "mulit layer stencil" Like how on banksy site the menu page. Is that just like the negative cut out and the positive. And he lays down the positive side then puts the negative layer over that and sprays it on? Also for big ass stencils how do you guys do it? Just take some big ass sheet of card board and cut it out?

when your doing multi layered stencils you spray the negitive outline layer first and then spray the other layers

if you dont get this ill post some pics explaining it to you. becuase i odnt know how to explain it.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by Seca...@Aug 17 2005, 08:53 PM

if you dont want bridges on your stencil, you can make wire bridges that are either really really thin or just invisble when sprayed, just use hot glue or a pice of tape.

i dont know if that made sense,

ive attempted that but the bridges wont hold up for more than 1 spraying because they get all wet again. on another note, they wont lay flat so when youre carrying them you would have to hold the stencil as is in nothing, then if the bridges fall off then youre screwed unless you have a skinny cap on you that you work reaaalllllllly well with.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

heres mine .... its grimace in space.

aliens grimace and its all grimey space2.jpg

then these are just some ones i was fucking around with..i like people to look at my shit and say "what the fuck was that dude thinking?"

these were takin with the phone cause my friends usin my cf card so whatever quality is shit

2 people talkin over coffee

ayebitch.jpg

dudes got his hand raised like a back hand and chick looks like shes thinkin and shes sayin "im submissive".

dubyateeeffmate.jpg

dudes grabbin the chick by the pigtails

grabembythepigtails.jpg

made the character in a hallway with a piece of green chalk and thought it was funny so i made it a stencil.

denisthepenis.jpg

my style sucks but who cares if people get a smile out of seein this shit then im happy...

Ok quick tip, if you break a bridge you can tape it with some sort of semi strong tape (not duct something like scotch) and recut the piece you messed up on. Make sure you tape up more than just the area you messed up on. Yeh it does make a difference.

Archived