Stenciling 101

FR8 LIFE

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

word.

i've been stenciling for a while now but only tended to use smaller A4 size stecils ones that can easily fit in your bag or can hide under your coat, but i've always wondered how people carry about their bigger stencil?

i've used one of those A2 folders that you would carry a large piece of paper in that you don't want bending. they're generally pretty good and no-one really suspects you but they are a bit obvious when carrying one round at night and can get in the way if you need to run.

so how do people discreatly carry round their big stencils at night?

and how do people paint the backing colour for stencils? do you just guess and free hand paint then stencil over.

i tend to stencil in the back colour then fill the gaps, then stencil over. what other ways have people got?

especially like to know about the first bit

peace

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
stenciling for fags....anyone know what material is best for makin a stencil...

i'm starting to use manilla folders cos they're pretty tough but since they're paper they soak up paint so they'll go flimsy after 12-20 sprays non-stop... but if you let is soak and dry up... they'll last long.

Acetate is a longlasting mother but it's about as thin as a normal piece of paper and you gotta be careful when you cut it and dont make some of the un-cut lines too thin... they tend to rip off if you're not careful

also wit multilayer stencils, see if you can process the pic in photoshop and chuck on the "cutout" filter then add the "stamp" layer on it... fiddle aroud with the parameters till you get what you want... it's quicker than getting another program and processing the pic back and forth between two programs

• 4 weeks later...

yes maybe those of u who dont use photoshop should maybe try Gimp to me it works good its good 4 beginers speaking of me kuz i used it any way here just look at this link http://stencilrevolution.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12698 if u dont have it just read wats on tha link it gives u instructions on how to download n watever u would need just follow directions n wateva n ull get it if not i guess just hit me up n ill see wat i can help u wit basically its tha same thang as photoshop just diff version and u dont have ta pay 4 it

• 3 weeks later...
do you cut out the black areas in a stencil?

and

i have 2 cardboard stencils, dont use cardboard for detailed stencils. I learned from 2 detailed as hell stencils and 3+ hours wasted

file folders are good.

depending on what kind of stencil you're making, yeh, you usually do cut out the black... carefull not to make islands or your stencil's gonna be weak.

i make my stencils from random pictures in the net and i print them on ACETATE, i grab as much as i can from the art room in my school.

this man speaks the truth that's all i ever do with stencils, acetate is the easiest shit to cut, infact i make mine in school cos they have really sharp scalpels in the art department too, which are the only way to cut. i dont do stencils anymore tho.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Etch + Stencils + a smooth handy = A Sexy Scribe........a bit more time consuming and a lot more hazardous, but it is a method with NICE results....

holy shit, that's gonna need some sorta unbreakable stencil. great idea tho. choice!

• 2 weeks later...

So i wanted to drop a few pointers and show some stuff...

First, here's the "Dream Girl". Old school heads will remember from the first hook ups skate decks...

Dreamgirl2.jpg

DreamGirlStencil.jpg

The yellow is some montana...how it got there...i dunno. She is still being perfected but so far, so good.

The next is a first multi layer stencil

layer1.jpg

Layer2.jpg

Stencil1.jpg

It came out pretty good but it's the trick figuring out how to make a bridge so the guy will have a mouth. most likely create a third layer for the mouth and make some additional detailing on the jacket.

A few pointers.....

1. Manila folders work great for stencils because they are pliable, easy to cut with a sharp exacto blade and once you spray'em a few times, they get diesel quick so you don't have to worry so much about earing the stencil.

2. Avoid using gloss paints/montana/belton. These paints are all very rich and stickey, take forever to dry and can quickly dull/clog more detailed stencils. it doesn;t hurt to use these types of paints once or twice to make the stencil stronger but repeated use will KILL fine lines and small details.

Yeah, that's about all the knowledge i have to drop for right now.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived