R.I.P Mac Dre

earmuffs

Man dies after shots are fired into car on U.S. 71

By CHRISTINE VENDEL The Kansas City Star

A man died this morning after someone shot at the car he was riding in and the car crashed off U.S. 71.

The wreck occurred about 5:30 a.m. on the highway between 75th and 87th streets. The victim's name was not released, pending notification of relatives. It was unclear whether the victim died of injuries from the shooting or the wreck.

Police said the victim was believed to be a passenger in a northbound car when a second car pulled alongside and an occupant began shooting. The victim's car careened across a grassy highway median and then the southbound lanes before crashing down a steep embankment.

The driver apparently crawled out of the car and summoned help, police said. The victim was ejected.

Officers who investigate traffic fatalities responded to the crash, but they determined the death was not the result of an accident. They turned the case over to homicide investigators.

macdrepic.jpg

Mac%20Dre%20Ca%20Livn.jpg

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest fr8lover

i dont know the circumstances of this, but it sucks the dude was killed...only listened to a few mac dre songs...i remember a tech n9ne interview where he says flat out that kc rappers love the whole e-40 mac dre bay area sound...i guess they wanted to take him out for it?

the irony is im almost positive ive seen a couple of large mac dre billboards around kansas city previous to this. everyone knew he was coming...

hahaha...oh well.

Mac Dre played at this place called Ichabod's North where I live....I drove by and peeped the crowd outside.....lol.no thank you....but I guess I'll say RIP Mac Dre

oh and RIP Ichabod's North....one of my bouncer friends burnt the place down and is now serving 13 years for it.

California rapper killed on U.S. 71

By CHRISTINE VENDEL and JOHN SHULTZ The Kansas City Star

A Bay Area underground rap mainstay who was in Kansas City for a weekend concert was gunned down early Monday as he rode in a van on U.S. 71.

Andre Hicks, 34, better known as Mac Dre, was on the card at a Kansas City, Kan., rap concert Friday night and had stayed the weekend at a hotel on the Country Club Plaza. Police said Hicks lived in Sacramento, but he originally was from Vallejo, Calif.

He was riding with a friend early Monday when the shooting happened.

The two were in a white van northbound on U.S. 71 from 85th Street about 3:30 a.m. when another vehicle pulled alongside the driver's side of the van. An occupant of the other vehicle began shooting. That car also bumped into the van.

The van then swerved across the grassy highway median, across the southbound lanes and down a steep embankment. Hicks, who was ejected from the van, was pronounced dead at the scene. Police said Hicks died from injuries from the shooting.

The driver crawled from the wreckage and walked for help.

Homicide Capt. Vince Cannon said police do not think the shooting stemmed from road rage, but they still were trying to determine a motive. Cannon said police had not heard of the victim getting into an argument or disagreement with anyone.

During his career, Hicks had recorded more than a dozen albums, with the first released in 1989.

But his career quickly took a serious detour.

Police said Hicks and several associates were part of Vallejo's Romper Room Gang, suspected in a prolific string of bank and business robberies.

A wide-ranging investigation of the gang led to numerous state and federal indictments. Hicks was charged in federal court with conspiracy to commit bank robbery after police, acting on a tip, arrested him and others as they were preparing to rob a bank.

“We were on his tail for a long time,” Vallejo police Lt. Rick Nichelman said.

While the robbery spree continued, Hicks recorded raps mocking and criticizing law enforcement, in some cases slamming officers — including Nichelman, who was a lead investigator on the case — by name.

In a song titled “Back N Da Hood,” Hicks rapped about how the detective had increased Hicks' record sales. Nichelman said the lyrics reportedly were recorded over the phone while Hicks was in jail awaiting sentencing.

Hicks was released from prison in 1996.

Police want anyone with information to call the Tips hotline at (816) 474-TIPS (8477).

Bay Area rap acts have a solid following in the Kansas City area, and the rappers schedule frequent gigs here.

This is the second time this year that a California rap artist was fatally shot in Kansas City, police said.

Rapper Ramone C. Davis, 31, of San Diego, died March 22 when a man tried to rob him of 10 pounds of marijuana, police said. A 27-year-old Kansas City man was charged in the case.

According to court records in that case, witnesses said Davis and another man went to a house in the 4600 block of Tracy Avenue to sell marijuana to two other men. One of the buyers decided to rob the sellers and pulled a handgun during the transaction.

A suspect was arrested three days after the killing, and police said he had a watch belonging to Davis in his pocket.

Last October, rappers, including at least one thought to be a Bay Area performer, were shot at while they were driving from radio station KKFI in Westport after an interview.

Two gunmen in a pickup truck shot at the group's vehicle as it traveled south on Main Street. One artist, a 22-year-old man, was wounded.

Kansas City homicide detectives investigating the Hicks case could not be reached Monday evening.

To reach Christine Vendel,

police reporter, call

(816) 234-4438 or send

e-mail to cvendel@kcstar.com.

Archived