Question For The Health Geeks

Gunm

So as apart of my new years resolution i am dedicating myself to a healthier mode of living and of course, this includes my diet.

I wanna know what the story with Gluten is....I eat a lot of bread and i hear it's pretty gnar for your body.

What is it?

What are the negative effects on your body?

What are some good bread alternatives?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

eat any bread besides white bread like whole wheat, oat nut, whatever. .. and bread has alot of carbs so eat it in moderation .. also drink maad water throughout the day and some orange juice with breakfast. aim for about six small meals throughout the day and try to hit up all the food groups. holler. i probably didnt answer ur question but hope something helped

What is gluten? What is gliadin?

Traditionally, gluten is defined as a cohesive, elastic protein that is left behind after starch is washed away from a wheat flour dough. Only wheat is considered to have true gluten. Gluten is actually made up of many different proteins.

There are two main groups of proteins in gluten, called the gliadins and the glutenins. Upon digestion, the gluten proteins break down into smaller units, called peptides (also, polypeptides or peptide chains) that are made up of strings of amino acids--almost like beads on a string. The parent proteins have polypeptide chains that include hundreds of amino acids. One particular peptide has been shown to be harmful to celiac patients when instilled directly into the small intestine of several patients. This peptide includes 19 amino acids strung together in a specific sequence. Although the likelihood that this particular peptide is harmful is strong, other peptides may be harmful, as well, including some derived from the glutenin fraction.

It is certain that there are polypeptide chains in rye and barley proteins that are similar to the ones found in wheat. Oat proteins have similar, but slightly different polypeptide chains and may or may not be harmful to celiac patients. There is scientific evidence supporting both possibilities.

When celiac patients talk about "gluten-free" or a "gluten-free diet," they are actually talking about food or a diet free of the harmful peptides from wheat, rye, barley, and (possibly) oats. This means eliminating virtually all foods made from these grains (e. g., food starch when it is prepared from wheat, and malt when it comes from barley) regardless of whether these foods contain gluten in the very strict sense. Thus, "gluten-free" has become shorthand for "foods that don't harm celiacs."

In recent years, especially among non-celiacs, the term gluten has been stretched to include corn proteins (corn gluten) and there is a glutinous rice, although in the latter case, glutinous refers to the stickiness of the rice rather than to its containing gluten. As far as we know, neither corn nor glutinous rice cause any harm to celiacs.

link

don't fear carbs.

as long as you're smart about your portions and times you eat and excercise you'll be all good. I used to have a 4000+ calorie diet a day that consisted of mainly carbs and some protein. drink lots of water as well.

Originally posted by dniice@Jan 6 2005, 02:37 PM

eat any bread besides white bread like whole wheat, oat nut, whatever. .. and bread has alot of carbs so eat it in moderation .. also drink maad water throughout the day and some orange juice with breakfast. aim for about six small meals throughout the day and try to hit up all the food groups. holler. i probably didnt answer ur question but hope something helped

That's me to the T....also you should exercise a little bit

Lens, remember to make healthy life choices and not to put yourself on a diet. Odds are, if you go on a diet once you come off youll just gain the weight you lost plus some.

Make common sense choices; any fried food is bad... even vegetables. Stay away from McD's and other fast food resturants. Even diet soda is relatively bad for you because of the salt content (once I quit drinking diet soda Ive noticed that I retain water/get bloated much much less, whereas before I always felt disgustingly ballooned). Carbonated flavored water is bomb, make sure its "salt-free" though. They come in awesome flavors and are a great alternative to water if you dont like drinking plain water all the time.

Say no to bagels, but if you must eat bagels opt for WHOLE wheat bagels. And another thing, when purchasing bread make sure the bread says WHOLE WHEAT, not wheat bread. Wheat bread has enough fillers that it might as well be white, get me?

Good luck hun. Ive just rediscovered my healthy eating as well. The past couple of months Ive been eating out way more than I used to, and thought I was stll making healthy choices when eating out. Thing is, there really is no such thing as a healthy choice when you eat out because you really dont know the oils, etc. that the resturants use to make the food.

PS

And the whole Atkins deal:

DONT EVER EAT LOW ENOUGH CARBS THAT YOURE BODY GOES INTO KETOSIS. It is NOT good for you.

The reason why atkins works: things in high carbs are generally high calorie. Just eat less calories, make healthy decisions. Dont kill your body with that atkins shit.

Guest imported_Tesseract

Hmm, i just started exercising and i need to fix my eating habits a bit. I drink atleast 3cans of coke daily, eat way too much junkfood and sweets too..haha, i aint fat at all but i'm sure i'm all rotten on the inside.

SInce we started this convo, enlight me..what should i eat? how many times a day? why?

Next time you're bored remember these questions and type a long ass reply for good ole tesser.

You weigh like 130 lbs so I doubt youre looking for diet advice.

You're just probably looking for healthier eating habbits.

Obviously stay away from deep fried foods and saturated fats.

Try to get a SMALL meal in every 3 or 4 hours.

Increase your fruit and vegitable intake, and some more dietary fiber.

Drink atleast 32oz of water daily, AT LEAST.

Set up a small work-out regiment.

You wake up, do some push-ups, some sit-ups, lunges, etc. Just get your heart rate up for about 20 minutes.

Increase bike-riding/walking.

I dont know much about gluten except people really only go on gluten-free diets based on a gluten allergy or sickness.

The reason whitebreads are bad for you is the processed bleached flour in them.

They make plenty of gluten-free products.

Mainly potato based breads, actually pretty yummy stuff.

My two cents plus a dollar ten for processing fees.

Guest imported_Tesseract

Cool advice, i weight about 180 pounds and have concetrated some fat in the belly...exactly the kind of stuff obsessive drinking gives you. I'm clueless on all that stuff but is fat turned into muscle with exercise or its bound to be gone or stay as it is?

One thing more, is a nice rich breakfast a good tactik or no?

That response was aimed at LENS.

What happens when you exercise is that the muscle builds up UNDER the fat and with increased muscles comes increased ability to burn that fat away.

If youre going to eat a big meal, do it at breakfast. You have the entire day to work off the calories and other things taken in.

Also STAY AWAY FROM REFINED SUGAR (SODA IS THE DEVIL TESS!).

is gnar good or bad? Generally wheat products that fall into the grain category are indeed needed per daily intake of food. You say wheat products like its a bad thing Tee. Yes indeed i do ken,. starchy shit bread that looks of the same colour as my white ass is a bad. Always make your toast using a multigrain bread. Grain being a quintesential part of the food group structure.

Eat at Joes.

130 Gliko? Gimme some credit, i was 155 on the bathroom scale last night! But thanks for the advice regardless.

I also wanted to know from heads what would be some good sources of food that could help me put on more weight that I could in turn transform into muscle (I got a great weight set for christmas.)

Lens, your kinda on the lean side so i really dont think you need to worry about the gluten/carbs tip unless you have some allergies. Just try to minimise (not ablolish) junk foods and increase the fruits and vegetables in your diet.

Also running daily for about a month and generally pushing yourself will give you ridiculously good results.

Youre better off gaining weight from protien than carbs.

If youre down for soy based products, get any soy hotdogs like smartdogs. They are LOADED with protien (about 10g each) only 90 cals and very very little carbs. They also taste much like regular byproduct filled hotdogs, even slightly better. Bad side is, there's no crunch that you get when you eat a hotdog. Oh well, we all have to sacrifice.

1) Beer has a high content of vitamins and minerals that will help replenish and strengthen your body. Drink as much as possible, all day, every day.

2) If you find that you are still gaining weight, don't forget the "finger in the throat" method of losing it, after every meal.

Listen to Glik0 He knows what hes talking about.

White bread and white pasta are bad news. The way I understand it is that they are empty carbs and essentially they are processed by your body into sugar in the end.

Try to eat fods that have hogh protean and low calories and fat like salmon other fish, coloured vegetables like bok choy, beans, spinach and fruit.

Fruit has alot of sugar but generally it isnt the worst kind for you to eat.

I think eating many small meals and healthy snaks throughout the day is better for you than eating a heavy breakfast or other meals. It levels out your glucose levels so that you wont feel that 4pm craving for a chocolate bar or other junk food. Plus it keeps your metabolism at work.

Personally I got to the gym 3 or 4 times a week in the mornings for about an hour and a half. Usually run about 2 or 3 miles and do light and mid weight training for the rest.

A while ago I cut out about 90% of the white bread and pasta that I was eating and I can tell a huge difference. Also things to watch out for are fruit juice and milk. Its better to drink just water. Most fruit juice has a ton of sugar in it.

Also as everyone else said stay away from any type of soda or fried food.

Make a point of looking at the number of calories and the portion size of what wou are eating. Usually people take portions that are wayyyyy too big. Im not saying to calculate that shit but... just be aware of a rough estimate of how many calories you are taking in each day.

Heres my question....recently I feel like I have reached a plateau as far as working out. Im not trying to loose more weight or get way too muscleish.....I would like to work on better definition without bulking up too much. Anyone know what the best way to do this is? I have started increasing my cadio time but it hasnt been long enough for me to tell if it is helping.