Problems connecting my iPod to computer

Poop Man Bob

Yes, I've tried Google. Yes, I've tried iPodlounge.com. Yes, I've tried Apple Discussion forums. But I haven't found the answer yet, so I turn here.

I have a 2nd Generation iPod, and out of the blue I am unable to connect it to my computer. I connect the two via a firewire port, and, while the iPod charges (showing the cord itself works), my computer doesn't recognize that the iPod is plugged in. Thus, I can't load up iTunes and change songs, etc, nor can I use the iPod Updater software - both require connecting the stupid thing first.

I've had the iPod for 2.5 years now, and this is the first time I've had this problem. But it doesn't appear to be going away, as I've been unable to connect for the last few weeks now.

The most common answer I've found is "reset your iPod." Fucking thanks, but I've tried that more than a few times. As well as resetting my computer. Nada. Any ideas? Anyone dealt with this before?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I would help... but I really dont want the prize/punishment

sorry... I dont know. I'm anti-iPod.

currently rocking a lexar mp3 player with:

- 1.2 gigs

- built in FM transmitter

- FM radio PLUS FM Recorder

- Pitch/Speed shifting built in (wooo! DJ!)

- 8 different backligh colours

- DRM would apply if I wasn't a pirate

- Full display + ID3 (fuck an iShuffle) I need to know titles

- blah blah.... fuck the iCult.

My little brother had the same problem a month ago with the newest generation.

Your Ipod is fucked, he brought his to the Apple store and they end up giving him a

new one and showed him how to load his old Itunes to it with out fucking up his music.

Hopefully I'm wrong though.

Originally posted by Poop Man Bob@May 11 2005, 07:47 AM

Yes, I've tried Google. Yes, I've tried iPodlounge.com. Yes, I've tried Apple Discussion forums. But I haven't found the answer yet, so I turn here.

I have a 2nd Generation iPod, and out of the blue I am unable to connect it to my computer. I connect the two via a firewire port, and, while the iPod charges (showing the cord itself works), my computer doesn't recognize that the iPod is plugged in. Thus, I can't load up iTunes and change songs, etc, nor can I use the iPod Updater software - both require connecting the stupid thing first.

I've had the iPod for 2.5 years now, and this is the first time I've had this problem. But it doesn't appear to be going away, as I've been unable to connect for the last few weeks now.

The most common answer I've found is "reset your iPod." Fucking thanks, but I've tried that more than a few times. As well as resetting my computer. Nada. Any ideas? Anyone dealt with this before?

Try restoring the iPod with the iPod Updater. Download the latest version at ipod.com... yeah your whole iPod system will be erased, but it will quickly update again when iTunes updates all the songs.

Theo - I can't restore it, as using the Updater requires my computer recognizing the iPod. Even if a could, though, I'm wary of voluntarily erasing my iPod's contents when there's no guarantee I'll be able to put anything else on it.

sarcasm - the driver's fine. My computer recognizes the Firewire card, etc.

drsev - I don't have another Firewire device, unfortunately. I have friends with Macs, though, so I'll try it on their computers.

deterrent - level 28 erection = funny.

I only really read your first post PMB, and the same thing happened to me

What happened in my case was this: I had been using an earlier version of iTunes with an iPod mini - then I managed to get my hands on a 20GB (I'm not sure if its 3rd or 4th gen) and my comp (which is a PC) wasn't recognizing anything was plugged in via USB

So I had to download and install the newest version of iTunes and a new updater for the iPod (I think I got em both off apple's website) and everything worked fine after that -> not sure if its going to work for you but it worked for me

I agree with Johnny Horton...

Go to Apple's website and download the latest version of iTunes and the updates for the iPod. Hopefully that will fix the problem as the updates for the iPod require that you attach the iPod to your computer for them to take place.

Just a thought...

And while I like the idea of Apple offering it's wares to the PC world... I just don't think it's a good idea. It would be like trying to get a Campy derailer to work with Shimano cogs... choppy at best.