Epival CR....have you taken it?

Frate_Raper

I've been asked to try it,it will give the doc a better read out on my situation.I'm afraid to take any drugs.I'm edge....but that doesn't mean anything other then I don't take any sort of drugs at all,but I've heard all sorts of shit about people on MOOD ALTERING drugs.I don't want to start soemthing them ween myself off etc etc.

Let me hear about YOUR EXPERENCES.......I DON'T NEED GOOGLE ANSWERS...I'VE LOOKED ALREADY!

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

well I haven't taken that, but I take a TON of other stuff.. not really a ton, but I am on Zoloft for "major depression" and just started seraquil after a while on trezadone for "mood stabilization." assuming the med you are talking about is a mood stabilizer, it will suck really bad. I hate seraquil and honestly can't stand taking my meds ever. I do it because if I didn't I'm completely insane, and that is far worse than this drugged sleepy incoherent feeling I have all day every day.

so yeah, avoid meds if you can. They suck. I used to be crazy depressed and then swing to insanely mean/violent and that's gone now, now I'm cool as a cucumber. whatever.

Honestly, your doctor is a fucking idiot. This particular drug has a horrible side effect profile and there are many alternatives for bipolar, which I'm assuming you're talking about. If this is just about depression / SAD, then this medication is so far from being useful that your doctor should be hung from a signpost and be shat on repeatedly by fat men with hangover shits. Also keep in mind you'll need to be going in to the doctor once a month to get blood drawn for liver diagnostics if you're taking this shit.

Originally posted by Giving Tree@Feb 1 2005, 03:01 PM

and just started seraquil after a while on trezadone for "mood stabilization." assuming the med you are talking about is a mood stabilizer, it will suck really bad. I hate seraquil and honestly can't stand taking my meds ever.

Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome (NMS)

A potentially fatal symptom complex sometimes referred to as Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome (NMS) has been reported in association with administration of antipsychotic drugs, including SEROQUEL. Rare cases of NMS have been reported with SEROQUEL. Clinical manifestations of NMS are hyperpyrexia, muscle rigidity, altered mental status, and evidence of autonomic instability (irregular pulse or blood pressure, tachycardia, diaphoresis, and cardiac dysrhythmia). Additional signs may include elevated creatine phosphokinase, myoglobinuria (rhabdomyolysis) and acute renal failure.

That is just something to think about. The one you REALLY need to worry about is the long term parkinson's-like effects it will cause, which can, with increasing probability the longer the treatment, be permanent. If I were you I'd be asking myself whether you feel like you "can't deal with it" or whether you feel like you'll kill if you don't take this shit, because otherwise you're going to have a long twitchy life ahead of you.

Originally posted by Giving Tree@Feb 1 2005, 05:00 PM

i JUST started seraquil like 3 days ago... i only take 50 mg of it, most people take 500mg plus, the fda says it's safe to 800 mg. it was this or lithium, or a few others. yes i am a suicide attempt. and not a half ass attempt either. and not just one.

i'd love to hear alternatives to the drug, but i trust my doctor alot and she knows me very well.

The entire class of antipsychotics have these effects. Seroquel just happens to be one of the safer ones, but I'd avoid taking it for greater than a year. The FDA considers haldol safe but it is almost guaranteed to cause these effects. Psychiatrists sometimes have the tough job of balancing the permanent problems of these drugs vs. the current and recurring symptoms of a disorder. Your doctor knows best though, and she has done this job.

What is your specific disorder? For pure depression celexa seems to have worked for more people than not in comparison to zoloft, paxil, and the other side-effect nightmares.

I'm not depressed,I've got really odd mood swings.It's like a normal day what ever and I can be compeletely be happy then I'll dip into a brutal beating type of mood.They think it might be from diet, and they're looking into blood counts to see whats going on.I'm not going to take the pills,I've been on my own regiment of deep breaths and healthy eating.

I wanted to hear other peoples accounts,testimonials about modd stabilizer's.

Originally posted by Giving Tree+Feb 1 2005, 10:04 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Giving Tree - Feb 1 2005, 10:04 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-YoTeddyFinger!@Feb 1 2005, 09:58 PM

yeah.

[/b]

Yeah, cause the date you signed up to 12oz is indicative of your intelligence, just the same as your post count. Sheesh.

Teddy is a fucking moron though.

The pharma companies didn't make up depression to sell pills, and there are plenty of things that can be done to combat it that don't involve them.

Frate: Some of the mood stabilizers are useful. The one your doctor wanted you on is a seizure medication that hasn't really even had extensive human testing done to determine whether it even works for bipolar / mood disorders, but that won't prevent doctors from prescribing it as such.