Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

compu-smart people must enter this thread immediately.

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by iloveboxcars, Sep 21, 2004.

1. iloveboxcars

iloveboxcars 12oz Royalty

my friend reformatted his computer.. and he says the only thing that he can access is setup. It's a laptop, it's a dell inspirion. He tried loading windows xp on it but it says non-system disk error and he does not get a dos prompt. They have also tried loading dos in it. apparently that doesnt work either.

any suggestions?

2. mikro137

mikro137 Guest

its a bios issue , im almost certain of it. go into the bios (f2 i believe on dells) and set the boot priority to have the cdrom boot first. that should solve it.

email me , and ill give you specific manuals and shit if needed.

3. ClueTwo

ClueTwo Veteran Member

You can not do a clean install with Windows Xp..Tell him he must put an earlier version of windows onto the drive and then UPGRADE to Windows XP..If he needs help passed that I can probably be of some help, but let me know what's up..

4. mikro137

mikro137 Guest

thats total bullshit. im not only claiming im an expert , but i have the credentals to prove it.

mikro137/mcp since 2000

5. iloveboxcars

he says it still doesnt work, could you give me a word for word explanation? i dont have your email.

6. j

j Guest

so when you say cdrom, you really mean hard drive, right?

7. effyoo

effyoo Elite Member

this exact same thing happened to me after i reformatted my hard drive too.
    like mikro said:

when you turn on the computer hold down F2 or F8 (or one of those keys).

it will take you to a setup screen.

find the thing that says boot priority or something similar. it might not be right there, you might have to dig around a bit.

change it to cd-rom from fixed disk or whatever.

its really simple.

8. mikro137

mikro137 Guest

stevemikrojones@hotmail.com if you do aim , send me you name and ill walk you through it

j: you need to take an a+ course

effyou - you are dead on. dells thougha re weird and sometimes have seperate boot prioority bios (especially on that family) and you cjange em in seperate menus

9. j

j Guest

if all he can access is setup, the only device that the comp is booting from is the cdrom. why in the world would you want to switch it to cdrom?

j/lets see how long this goes on.

10. iloveboxcars

11. Gunm

Gunm Banned

12. iloveboxcars

13. j

j Guest

keep us updated on how this works out, boxcars

14. iloveboxcars

well, the first thing didnt work, and whats his name hasnt sent me a message yet so nothing else has happened.

could you go into detail about what you think i should do?

15. j

j Guest

I see.

How far through setup did he get? I'm not rocking AIM, unfortunately, or I'd hop on and make this a bit easier.

If he is not getting past the initial blue screen part of setup, the comp is not able to boot from the hard drive to complete the XP installation.

The BIOS should be set to have the hard drive as a boot device. If the BIOS cannot see the hard drive, as in it is not being detected when you power up, then there is no way you can get anywhere. You will be repeatedly dumped into the initial XP setup process.

I am curious if the XP installer sees a hard drive present at all. If you could step me through exactly what happens when you try to install XP, that would be helpful.