surveillance contractor offering real-time location data on 15 billion cars

Elena Delle Donne

https://www.vice.com/en/article/k7adn9/car-location-data-telematics-us-military-ulysses-group

"Although the company told Motherboard it has not sold the product to the U.S. government at this time, the news highlights the scale and reach of car-tracking technology, and the fact that car location data is of interest not just to insurance companies and the finance sector, but to government contractors who explicitly say they want to source the data for intelligence and surveillance purposes.

Ulysses previously had a contract with U.S. Special Operations Command (SOCOM), though for a different piece of technology."

• Truth 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

They're going to do to your travel plans what they're already doing to your network traffic.

I'll tell you one of the big issues I see with this type of thing.  There are people that won't adopt it, yet, they will not have a choice.  Here's why: Because everyone that does adopt it will just be used to track those that don't adopt it.  This is already happening with cars that are "network connected" and have backup/front facing cameras.

Your chinese amazon purchased "dash cam" that helps you record traffic?  Super easy to feed that video, even downsampled, through a machine learning algorithm.  Before long, with the power of computers, you can build a complete picture/map/route of what many cars did that weren't even part of your network..... using the cars that are in your network to build the data.

Oh.... and "the cloud" where your dash cam videos are uploaded....... that's the same "you don't own this shit - cloud" that is used to bulk collect/analyze data.  The way you agree it's a good idea to use this cloud is because it's a "convenient" way to offload videos in case your entire car burns (with the data) in a wreck.

Guess what else..... you agreed to the EULA, so everything's square w/ the law.

If I have to run a cell radio jammer inside my vehicles, then that's what I'll do.

• Like 1
  • Props 1

@Dirty_habiTWhen I worked at my homies motorcycle shop there was a shop a few doors down that were developing technology to disable vehicles completely. It was a projectile that stabbed into the side of the vehicle and then produced an electric charge that short circuited the system. I think it was being marketed to the police as a safer alternative to pit maneuvers and spike strips. It was wild watching them test this shit out behind the building. But I think that would also be a good use of electeic scrambling technology.