Joe Rogan signs $100mil deal with Spotify for exclusive rights to his podcast

KILZ FILLZ

On 1/15/2021 at 2:32 PM, KILZ FILLZ said:

well that didn’t take very long....

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/15/spotifys-big-bet-on-podcasts-is-failing-citi-says.html

“The cadence of Premium gross additions (through 3Q20) and app download data (through 4Q20) do not show any material benefit from recent podcast investments (that began in 2019),” the analysts wrote. The firm downgraded the stock to sell from neutral.

But now analysts are looking for the company to show the investments were worth it.

“To date, we have not seen a material positive inflection in app downloads or Premium subscriptions,” the Citi analysts wrote.

“If we were to see a material positive inflection in app downloads or Premium subs (from higher gross adds or materially lower churn), we would alter our view,” they added. “But, our fear is that if podcasting doesn’t provide a way for Spotify to shift away from music label dependence, the Street may reassess the underlying value of the business. And, that would be bad for Spotify’s multiple and equity value.”

2023 update on this because i was curious: spotify's ad supported revenue is up 15% YoY. monthly active users are up too but the ad revenue is pinned solely on podcasts (up 30% YoY, per spotify, meaning it actually fell elsewhere) and that's probably more important here. 

a podcast audience is way more valuable to an advertiser than a music audience. don't get me wrong — you can make audience/cultural determinations based on music streaming habits and geographic location and sell ads against that. but a podcast is that and more, usually a specific set of interests and types of information. 

better, with podcasts (that exist outside of podcast networks/media companies) you can write individual contracts that can be way more exploitative than a record label would ever put up with. spotify knows this too. i still think youtube as a product has more to offer to a podcaster. but spotify isn't losing their shirt on this as much as i thought they might. 

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

For podcasts I prefer to use the apple app unless its the odd spotify premium show.  I kind of prefer to listen to them at 1.25x and spotify web app doesn't let you do that and I don't pay for premium spotify.

I can see how youtube works for people too but I find myself too easily distracted and end up having to re-listen to stuff too much with youtube. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, metronome said:

For podcasts I prefer to use the apple app unless its the odd spotify premium show.  I kind of prefer to listen to them at 1.25x and spotify web app doesn't let you do that and I don't pay for premium spotify.

I can see how youtube works for people too but I find myself too easily distracted and end up having to re-listen to stuff too much with youtube. 

Same, except the speed up. Spotify app is great for music but absolute ass for podcasts. I think because they include video? Shit was restart the episode randomly for me. 

• Like 1