INDIANA

/\/uehs

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

this is an article that ran in the indy star paper

"Writing's on the wall as Indianapolis takes on graffiti"

By Diana Penner

diana.penner@indystar.com

Among the faces depicted this month on CrimeStoppers of Central Indiana's "Most Wanted" poster are the usual suspects -- folks wanted for murder, arson, drug dealing and robbery.

But one mug shot stands out. Instead of a face, it's a picture of the signature scrawling of someone known by police only as CHOKE.

And the crime? Graffiti.

It is a reflection of the prolific nature of an active tagger whose CHOKE and STS tags can be spotted all over town.

It also may be a reflection of a growing sentiment that, after decades of dealing with defaced walls, enough is enough.

Not only has a tagger made the "Most Wanted," Indianapolis is poised to crack down in another way. The city is about to propose its first-ever graffiti ordinance, possibly as early as this month.

Years in the making -- and patterned after ordinances in other cities -- the proposal would require property owners or tenants to remove or cover graffiti within 30 days of when they are called out by the city.

If not, the city will remove it and either bill the property owner or tack the cleanup costs onto the owner's property tax bill.

Teri Kendrick, previously the city prosecutor and now interim director of Animal Care and Control, was instrumental in developing the proposed ordinance after years of discussions and researching ordinances elsewhere.

Kendrick said the initiative grew out of a desire to upgrade decaying neighborhoods by removing abandoned houses and encouraging home improvements.

More than an eyesore, police and others say, graffiti attracts crime because it signals that an area is up for grabs and is no one's pride and joy. They hold to the "broken windows" philosophy that says run-down property invites drugs, prostitution and other crimes in a domino effect.

Kendrick began working on an ordinance during the administration of Mayor Bart Peterson, but other issues, such as weeds, gained priority. Graffiti returned to the front burner after Mayor Greg Ballard took office.

Graffiti in Downtown Indianapolis leads police to arrest 'Choke'

Police have arrested a graffiti vandal who they say has wreaked $100,000 in damage on businesses and other property across the city.

xxxxx xxxxx 23, Richmond, Ind., was prelimiinarily charged Thursday with three counts of misdemeanor criminal mischief for spray painting, or "tagging," three buildings near Downtown Indianapolis.

Prosecutors were granted a 72-hour continuance this morning in a Marion County court, so formal charges could come during a Tuesday morning court hearing.

xxxxxxxx leaves the name "Choke" on the walls he paints, said Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department Detective Frank Miller.

xxxxxxxxx's mother, xxxxxx xxxxxxx, said by phone from her Richmond home she was upset by the arrest.

"He's a good boy, for a high school dropout," she said.

looks like dude got popped.. just watched it on the news... i took the names out, i dont wanna be THAT guy ... but i guess it doesnt really matter..

Graffiti in Downtown Indianapolis leads police to arrest 'Choke'

Police have arrested a graffiti vandal who they say has wreaked $100,000 in damage on businesses and other property across the city.

xxxxx xxxxx 23, Richmond, Ind., was prelimiinarily charged Thursday with three counts of misdemeanor criminal mischief for spray painting, or "tagging," three buildings near Downtown Indianapolis.

Prosecutors were granted a 72-hour continuance this morning in a Marion County court, so formal charges could come during a Tuesday morning court hearing.

xxxxxxxx leaves the name "Choke" on the walls he paints, said Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department Detective Frank Miller.

xxxxxxxxx's mother, xxxxxx xxxxxxx, said by phone from her Richmond home she was upset by the arrest.

"He's a good boy, for a high school dropout," she said.

looks like dude got popped.. just watched it on the news... i took the names out, i dont wanna be THAT guy ... but i guess it doesnt really matter..

yeh don't be a name dropper you sucka.................free choke

This sucks, I hate to see anyone get popped. I havent watched the story yet but I really hope he didnt just incriminate the fuck out of himself like the 6 news story said. The courts are gonna rape the shit out of this guy just like they did me, they caught me when I was young and retarded as shit and looking back on the case now there are a million and one things I wouldve done differently. Best of luck man..