Tony Scott is doing the Warriors remake

earl broclo ESQ

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've got to admit, i got hooked on that game. i rented it during the winter when it came out. i ended up getting a bag of weed, a bottle of rum, and playing that game for 8 hours straight. i hate to admit that, but it was a stormy winter day, and i made the best of it. what was even funnier, was my roommate sat and watched me play the whole fucking time.

when i see movies or documentaries or pictures of NYC in the 70's, it makes me think the city was a lot more grimier than it is today. nowadays it seems it's gotten a lot more gentrified, and areas that were once slums are now lofts with hipsters and shit. am i wrong?

nyc was pretty shitty in the 70's and parts of the early 80's. no, you definitly aren't wrong. my mother used to take me into manhattan all the time as a kid when i had auditions for commercials and shit. she hated it cause it was so fucked up, the city that is.

this was a pretty good documentary:

http://www.vh1.com/shows/dyn/vh1_rock_docs/122259/episode_about.jhtml

granted, it's set in the late 70's, but you'll get the idea.

i took this photo for the "show me your vinyl" thread. if you buy vinyl, i recommend buying this warriors record. it has all the music you want, plus a ton of audio clips including cyrus's speech, the "what we gonna do now..." bit, some bopper reports, and a couple other gems.

100_1272.jpg

cosigned

i took this photo for the "show me your vinyl" thread. if you buy vinyl, i recommend buying this warriors record. it has all the music you want, plus a ton of audio clips including cyrus's speech, the "what we gonna do now..." bit, some bopper reports, and a couple other gems.

"in the city" ..dope song!

sidenote:

if anyone is looking for a good book, with an educated historical look at ny's graffiti boom, check this out:

taking-the-train.jpg

i'm about a 100 pages into it. it's a pretty interesting read.

Just what am I checking out? /nh

As others said, fuck a remake. Fuck doing it in LA if they even want to consider it a remake.

Yeah, I was figuring that. I finally got around to sitting down and watching it when I was much older, maybe like 19, and while it was really fucking awesome, I could immediately understand the nostalgic appreciation evidenced by most people around my age who had seen it when the were kids. If I'd seen this movie when I was a kid, I would've fucking flipped. I'm sure I would still to this day think it was one of the raddest movies I've ever seen, and would certainly be royally pissed off about these news.

Alas, I didn't watch it then, so it didn't hit me as hard. And therefore it's interesting to see everyone up in arms about this travesty, focusing on certain points on why this or that wouldn't work on a remake, whereas I feel the elements that worked in it as a movie won't necessarily be completely lost in a remake, because as an older person I was looking at it differently than if I was a kid. It's not that it didn't have substance, but the style of it seemed to be a much stronger asset, and style is something that blows you away when you're a kid... as you grow older you start looking for more substance to really grab on to.

Personally, I just think that if you want to create the same kind of impact on a young audience that the Warriors did when it came out, you're immediately on a losing proposition if you start off by attempting to update an older story with modern elements. It rings hollow at the core. What packed a punch then doesn't necessarily pack a punch now, and redressing it in a fancy glove is not gonna help. Even if they stayed really true to the original it wouldn't make much of a dent in today's audience. So, if that's their intention, to knock people off their feet, it's gonna fail entirely.

The only way I can see this being even remotely good is if it concentrates on the style for style's sake, and keeps the importance of the story on a second plane and doesn't try to bowl you over with seriousness and a more realistic feel, which is what most remakes attempt and which I'm completely sure Tony Scott is gonna try to do. I'm not a HUGE fan of Tony Scott, but the guy has some talent... unfortunately he doesn't quite know how to handle his sense of style. He often uses it to try to infuse substance into his work, and it rarely, if ever works. That's why I'd rather see someone like Julie Taymor, Richard Kelly, or even Tim Burton (oh wait... Planet of the Apes... yeah scratch that) take on something like this, people who have a strong sense of style and design and know how to wield it. Tony Scott worries me, unless he goes balls out in a completely different way than what he did on Domino, which was a complete misfire, but a valiant attempt at going with his gut instincts.