NYC Subways - the good stuff-Best thread on 12 oz!

desism_ktc

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
dondi.jpg

I was looking through a friends photos, when I saw a nice photo of this Dondi. I had the Dondi book nearby, so I decided to compare the photo to the one in the Dondi book. As soon

as I put them together I thought hey it's a 4 in the book, but it's a 3 in the other photo. Both photos are good, as you can see in this posted photo except he windows being buffed

it looked good. They must have switched it quickly. I remember seeing pieces that switched lines. This is the first time I've put multiple photos of the same car together and noticed

different lines.

4train.jpg.0b4b552a44fa91988f854131330aac7b.jpg

I was looking through a friends photos, when I saw a nice photo of this Dondi. I had the Dondi book nearby, so I decided to compare the photo to the one in the Dondi book. As soon

as I put them together I thought hey it's a 4 in the book, but it's a 3 in the other photo. Both photos are good, as you can see in this posted photo except he windows being buffed

it looked good. They must have switched it quickly. I remember seeing pieces that switched lines. This is the first time I've put multiple photos of the same car together and noticed

different lines.

interesting observation. keep in mind tho, the 2s went to New Lots during this time while the 4 & 5 terminated @ Utica. the 3 and 4 went to Flatbush. this changed around the mid 80s, maybe 84 or 85..im not sure exactly. thats why in style wars min's quote "we used to go to the 2 yard and it was a masterpiece art gallery of burners" is his reference to the New Lots yard. this was later refered to as the 3 yard by writers from the 85-87 generation because the 3s went to New Lots in the mid - late 80s. Also the style of the destination signs in both photos are before the colors and symbols were included. i THINK the destination styles changed when the routing changed and the 3,4s began terminating @ ENY (New Lots) and the 2,5s began terminating @ flatbush. so i think maybe its a 4 or a 5 in the book, but a 2 in the photo you provided. the closest map i could find to 1980 that would put my babble in perspective is below. totally not official, but i do also remember taking the 3s to my grandmothers house at President Street in the early 80s.

for the record, im not trying to challenge you or be a dick or nothin, this kind of shit is just really interesting to me...

calcagno-1978-system.gif