Portfolios. THE THREAD

enigmatic

So i am supposed to create a portfolio.

And i am supposed ot make it myself.

Heres the thing. I thought it was going to be easy. Then i realised i need several of them. Secondly what am i supposed to place in it, photographs of things ive done. How big should they be. Thirdly, are sketches and unfinished work generally shamed upon? Because it is rare that i finish anything. Who has done portfolios for anything in the past.

Please. Enlighten me. I have about two months.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Yeah it depends on what you are going for ... if you are building a portfolio for animation they will want a section of just quick gesture sketches. I think that is one of the few places that will want to see that kind of work in a polished porfolio. From my limited knowledge anyway.

I need to make one again soon ... or update the current one anyway.

Simple and less is better. Try to start with a banger, have a banger in the middle, and a banger at the end, to keep attention span. I've had luck with mostly home-made shit if you are going to leave it behind and not want it back, otherwise you can spend money and buy fancy cases and the like.

Think that if you are going to talk through it, it can be simpler than if you are going to leave it behind. If you are leaving it behind, you should try to find a balance between spelling everything out for the viewer, and not playing them for idiots. Nice written descriptions, etc.

I think the key is to not put anything in it at all that you are half-stoked on. And to try and seem well rounded...show some range.

I hope some of this makes sense. I have only made design and illustration portfolios though, so this may not be as much help.

One thing I like a lot, but don't have much of for my own, is having all the finished print pieces be professionally (or at least nicely) shot on a seamless background.

Get a website cracking too. Gotta have that shit in this day and age.

I am also in this process, which can explain my rambling.

• 1 year later...

For photos, if you aren't developing your own photos, get slides made. Looks a lot more professional than putting some store developed photos into your portfolio, and slides allow them to view them as big or small as they want. Or, if they allow it, you could put your images onto a cd. I'd say slides are more professional though, unless they specifically ask for them on a disc. I haven't done any portfolios other than photography, but i wouldn't recommend putting in unfinished stuff unless you think it really highlights some of your abilities.

Since i know photography more, i'll focus on that: try to put in a wide variety of photos. Get some color, some black and white, make sure your photos aren't all portraits or all landscapes or all whatever (unless of course whatever you're applying for is a specific type of photography, in which case you can focus more on that, but still make sure you have some variety). Basically, go through your photos and start saving copies of everything you think is good to a folder. once you've done that, go back through and start narrowing it down. Repeat. Cut out shit that you aren't 100% happy with, if you have a couple pictures that are really similar pick the best of the bunch. Once you've done this, go through again, narrow it down some more. I'd also recommend having at least 1 or 2 other people who have a good knowledge of photography looking through your picks and giving you some crits on what photos they think you should keep/remove.

Spread this process of narrowing your photos over a few weeks if you have the time, and keep going back and relooking over your choices and what you didn't include. If you cram it all into a few day, you're probably going to overlook some mistakes and or photos that you might not love, but are very well done and show your abilities.

Also, if there is a limit on how many items you can include in your portfolio, do NOT exceed it. If you exceed the limit, it instantly shows them that you can't follow instructions and gives a bad first impression. However, at the same time, i would recommend getting close to that limit, as the idea is to showcase all different facets of your photography/art.

I can't think of anything else to tell you off the top of my head, but if you'd like i could upload a photo portfolio of mine. I don't think i have any of my more recent ones actually in a folder on this computer, but i have one from like 5 years ago that got me early acceptance into a very prestigious photography program. I mean, its not going to make your work any better, but it could help give you an idea of the variety of work you're going to want to try to get in your portfolio

I can't think of anything else to tell you off the top of my head, but if you'd like i could upload a photo portfolio of mine. I don't think i have any of my more recent ones actually in a folder on this computer, but i have one from like 5 years ago that got me early acceptance into a very prestigious photography program. I mean, its not going to make your work any better, but it could help give you an idea of the variety of work you're going to want to try to get in your portfolio

I'm thinking about maybe applying for a photography course. I wouldn't mind seeing your portfolio to see what sort of range, layout etc. people are looking for. Cheers.

i hate making portfolios more than anything.

my portfolio never reflects the current things that I'm doing and by the time it does

I'm either onto something else or not even doing anything new to add to it.

the portfolio just makes me feel like crap 365 days a year.

• 2 weeks later...

had to throw together a portfolio on two days notice for today. Since all of my negatives/my scanner are in storage i ended up having to use a lot of old photos that i had scanned years ages and what digital shit i could find, but when i transfered a bunch of shit between laptops, a bunch of it got taken out of folders and its a bitch to find. the portfolio was definitely good for something thrown together in 2 hours, and with a lot of old photos. Got a call back within 3 hours of the interview to tell me i got the job though, so now i'll be taking portraits at churches all over wisconsin while applying for "real" jobs in other states where i actually want to life. Add to the resume and make some scrill at the same time.

I know at least one or two of you who are going to have to be putting together a photography portfolio in the near future and ,have never done one before, showed interest in seeing one of mine. so if you are, toss me a pm, i'll give you some more detalis on the process/the position i was applying for and why i chose the photos i did. i'll also send you a folder of said portfolio. My recent one ended up only being 21 or 22 pics, but i think its a good example of some of the type of variety you want, even though i knew i had some negatives and slides i would've liked to scan, but didn't have time