What the hell is kombucha?

soupBDC

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I expect this stuff is similar to yeast in beer. Essentially it's just fermented tea. The sugar is a food source for the kombucha to grow. The carbonation is a byproduct of the fermentation process.

It probably really is good for hangovers because yeast and (edible) bacteria are good sources of vitamin B12, which alcohol strips out of your system. I have no problem with cloudy, hazy or even silty looking beers, but i don't think i could take down one of those slimy mold patties. Hoooooo gross.

I don't do pickled stuff, either.

he was a creepy bastard thats for sure

god

that takes me back to my early teens

we used to put his first name up next to our throw ups

typical retarded "look how awesomely radical we are" toy shit

there would be all these throw ups with "peter" in/next to them

people thought peter was some random person dogging throwies

dumb story

but whatever

he was a crazy person

• 5 months later...

Because nobody has even mentioned the bad:

Toxicity/ Risks

"Kombucha tea made from mushroom culture (used as a cure-all), caused deaths from acidosis." (Cassileth)

There were reports from Iowa in 1995 about two women suffering severe metabolic acidosis from consuming kombucha tea. (Webb)

"We report two cases of symptomatic lead poisoning requiring chelation therapy in a married couple who had been drinking Kombucha tea for six months, brewing the tea in a ceramic pot. We postulate that acids in the tea eluted lead from the glaze pigment used in the ceramic pot, in a manner analogous to elution of lead from crystal decanters by wine and spirits." (Phan)

"Side effects probably related to consumption of Kombucha tea are reported in four patients. Two presented with symptoms of allergic reaction, the third with jaundice, and the fourth with nausea, vomiting, and head and neck pain. In all four, use of Kombucha tea in proximity to onset of symptoms and symptom resolution on cessation of tea drinking suggest a probable etiologic association." (Srinivasan)

Anecdotal side effects include nausea, nervousness, mouth sores, cramping, abdominal pain, yeast infections. (Monson) (Webb)

The mixture of sugar, tea, room temperature, and yeast/bacteria provides an ideal breeding ground for many micro-organisms (some pathogenic) and airborne fungi. (Monson)

"It has been associated with severe hepatotoxicity in at least two cases" (Ernst)

Summary

Due to the lack of scientific evidence, the general consensus of medical and scientific communities is to not recommend the use of kombucha tea. (Monson)

Reports of severe toxicity resulting from the ingestion of kombucha tea would suggest that ingestion of the tea is potentially dangerous and cannot, therefore, be recommended.

http://www.bccancer.bc.ca/nr/bcca/asp/PrintPreview.asp?GUIDS=%7B7FE0D863-6F6F-40A4-9635-739C756D5816%7D

• 1 month later...

ok so i saw kombucha at the store and i remembered this thread so i tried it

and its fucking good. like this is the closest to hangover elixer that you can get.

whats your favorite flavor? i like the grape or guava, not feeling the ginger at all

However long ago I made this thread was when i hopped on craigslist and found some hippy to give me a culture. I spend a month trying to brew my own and it all ended up totally failing. I blame the hippy.

I still like the stuff but finding it and drinking it seems a little out of my way.