BLACK AND WHITE PHOTOGRAPHY

lil duck beezie

• 3 weeks later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

...it looks like that at least a few people here actually scan negatives onto their computer! Film seems to be on its way out for good, huh?... many places wont even process film! (I recently discovered)...

you guys that scan film, how is it? what is your experience with this as far as getting decent prints? is it worth getting a more costly scanner (i am not overly obsessed with high resolution or minute detail in quality, but am seeking the results comparable to that of an average darkroom user). After you scan your negatives, are you guys doing a lot of manipulating with software? what are you guys using? photoshop? can you recommend for me some product. I am just beginning my inquiries into this topic, figured i would ask some questions here if no one minds.

technology worries me.

...it looks like that at least a few people here actually scan negatives onto their computer! Film seems to be on its way out for good, huh?... many places wont even process film! (I recently discovered)...

you guys that scan film, how is it? what is your experience with this as far as getting decent prints? is it worth getting a more costly scanner (i am not overly obsessed with high resolution or minute detail in quality, but am seeking the results comparable to that of an average darkroom user). After you scan your negatives, are you guys doing a lot of manipulating with software? what are you guys using? photoshop? can you recommend for me some product. I am just beginning my inquiries into this topic, figured i would ask some questions here if no one minds.

technology worries me.

I develop my own black and white film at home. I buy the film in bulk or expired, so it's cheap. I scan my negatives and post them online. I rarely make prints, so I can't really be a reliable source about that, but the prints I have made are fine by me. If I know I'm going to print something I try to scan it at a higher resolution.

I got my scanner really cheaply online because it was a refurbished model. I use an Epson Perfection 4490. My brother has a more expensive scanner (also an Epson) and I think his software is a little better than mine, but he's been frustrated because he got dust inside the scanner somehow. I haven't had that problem. I do sometimes get a little red line through my photos, though, not sure why.

For color film I usually take it to a 1hr photo lab at CVS and ask them to develop only--they only charge $2.40 a roll for development only. Then I scan the negatives at home.

I don't do much manipulation after scanning. Sometimes I'll do some color correction because my scanner tends to give color film a cyan cast.