Banksy sexchange

famecrazy

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re: Banksy sticks it to Paris

I don't think he meant for it to "stay there" - he knows someone will catch on, he's a prankster and only lives in the widely know knowledge of his succes. He takes famous mediums/platforms and steals them to make his own in the same vein as a train or high profile spot. I don't know about what he has turned down or not but I think his approach is novel and worthy of respect.

Well whatever his motives and despite the fact that stencils are fucking queer at least he seems to be doing something entertaining. He could easily just disappear and never do anything again but he chooses to continue to do this shit pretty much for his own personal satisfaction.

all of his "pranks" are just ploys to sell more of his "artwork". nothing more, nothing less. all of his strategically placed stencils he did at the beginning of his "career" served one purpose only - create notoriety in order to cash-in in future. he is just as much of a whore as anyone else, no matter how much he tries to convince himself and you that he's not.

are some of his pranks funny? yes. does he deserve "respect"? no. you wanna sell a bunch of shit and hang in museums, be real about it, i don't give a fuck, but don't spin a line of bullshit trying to convince the world that it's not your number one aim

some anthropoligists point out that many laws in countries are outgrowths of cultural norms. at the very least popular culture permeates the conscious of the masses, and that alone is enormously influential. popular culture can define peoples "reality tunnels" (to use the neurolinguistic terminology), and henceforth shape the bounds of their imaginations, and even shape morality, perceptions, and perspectives on the many various issues of the day. for the most part they prefer that the masses don't think at all (because knowledge is power, and they are still trying to control it by artificial scarcity, even in this information age. Not to mention they have a serious case of CYA ((Cover Your Ass))), which is why we get so much watered down, vapid, mental junkfood.

It's the Bread and Circus of the Romans.

Let them eat cake they say, while we starve.

Damn.

i dont know too much about this bullshit because i pay absolutely no attention to art. all i know is this guy steady makes me laugh with the shit he does, i dont care if he's lying about why he's doing it. i dont care if he's trying to make a dollar. dude makes me laugh. thats all that matters to me.

. the dude has balls either way. He hit some tough spots here in Tokyo and his art makes people question their surroundings. This website is selling books and shit too, no one is pure. Personally I think he is the only interesting stenciller in the world, and if you check his website you see the dude is a really good painter.

all of his "pranks" are just ploys to sell more of his "artwork". nothing more, nothing less. all of his strategically placed stencils he did at the beginning of his "career" served one purpose only - create notoriety in order to cash-in in future. he is just as much of a whore as anyone else, no matter how much he tries to convince himself and you that he's not.

are some of his pranks funny? yes. does he deserve "respect"? no. you wanna sell a bunch of shit and hang in museums, be real about it, i don't give a fuck, but don't spin a line of bullshit trying to convince the world that it's not your number one aim

It's the man's mode, means and life's work. I doubt anyone percieves Banksy's work without at least considering he's doing it to put together another selling coffee table book, but what's fake about that? Who doesn't want their life work to be bound and sold in book form? You can hate the publishing companies for connecting his life with corperations but you can't do shit in today's social climate without some kind of corporate financial backing.

I doubt anyone percieves Banksy's work without at least considering he's doing it to put together another selling coffee table book, but what's fake about that?

what's fake is trying to convince people that this isn't your motivation.

like i said, if he was truthful about what he is doing, and that, like any other artist, he would like to be successful, be recognised, and make a living at what he loves, i wouldn't have an issue. my problem is that i don't like being lied to. i believe art is something that's supposed to have integrity. if you're lying about the most fundamental thing - why it is that you create in the first place - then you're worthless.

Everyone gets caught up on how to measure integrity. Righteousness, self righteousness... how about a rule not to give anyone you don't personally know respect. Then again, how well do you really know the motives of your friends?

That's a fun one. Not.

i think a person's honesty is a fair measure of their integrity, don't you?

I'll let it rest there because it's true, you're right.

But seeing as you said if he just said that he's doing it for money he could be honest and living like all the other artists, why does anyone have to say it at all if it's a given? Maybe his dishonesty doesn't come from him trying to scam a dollar out of your or someone else's pocket, but from him trying to convince himself that his art is of some kind of greater importance than other people who's art is just a product sold in galleries, therefore his failure isnt in lieing to you, but to himself.

As for giving someone you don't know respect: why give anyone any, since they're all two-faced backstabbers plotting to take advantage of their fellow man, anyway?

all i know is this guy steady makes me laugh with the shit he does, i dont care if he's lying about why he's doing it. i dont care if he's trying to make a dollar. dude makes me laugh. thats all that matters to me.

i like when someone pretty much says how i feel in a thread

saves me some typing

DAMN MY NIGGA! THIS NIGGA FUCK YOUR GIRL OR SOMETHING? QUE PASO? PERSONALLY I DONT CONSIDER ANYTHING GRAFFITI THATS NOT FILLINS N TAGS, BUT I GIVE THIS NIGGA PROPS FOR AT LEAST DISRUPTING SHIT AND GETTING HIS NAME OUT. I THINK HE SUCCEEDED IN HIS #1 AIM, WHICH IS HAVING NIGGAS TALK ABOUT HIM AND MAKING THE PAPER ETC, AND IF THE NIGGAS TRYNA CASH IN OFF THE STRENGTH, WHY NOT? ANY NIGGA DOING "ART FOR ARTS SAKE" IS A LIAR CUZ ANYBODY WOULD SELL A PAINTING IN A MINUTE FOR A MIL. WHAT THIS BANKSY NIGGA IS TRYNA DO IS NOT COMPLETELY SELL OUT BY DOING SOME SHIT WITH SOME HUGE COMPANY LIKE SONY OR SOMETHING, CUZ THEN THE NIGGAS THAT JUMPED ON THE BANDWAGON CUZ HE WAS A "REBEL" ARE GONNA CALL HIM A SELLOUT AND STOP FUCKING WITH HIM AND HE'LL BECOME A LAUGHINGSTOCK HYPOCRITE. THE KEY IS TO SELLOUT LITTLE BY LITTLE ON THE LOW, AND THATS WHAT MONEY IS DOING. HOLLA!

i dont really care much about banksy but you my man sound like a straight up (and i never even use this term) hater. i think the shit hes doin is cool, and so do other people evidently. if he started to do corperate work then maybeeeee just maybe your point could be slighty valid. but if hes making money off of himself... more power to him. its dudes with attitudes like yourself who cant make a buck from themselves, for themselves. and i highly doubt that when banksy was putting up stancils when he first started he was thinking.. 'im sooo gonna get paid off of this'. how much money do you think he actually makes? not much i can tell you that, he aint livin large, get real man.

Archived