<<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support SuperThread >>>

Mainter

Here's a question - I have a sony minidisk walkman from 4-5 years ago, a "net md walkman mz-ne410". I'm trying to get the software that it originally came with because I lost it. I'd like to use this as there's nothing wrong - I need the software to do so however. Anyone point me in the right direction? Or not worth wasting my time?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i have windows movie maker and im trying to upload some video from my jvc camcorder to my computer but it "cant find a device" to get video from.

i tried to add my jvc to my "scanner & cameras" but the jvc option does not come up and on jvc.com there is no software available for download.

this camera worked in the past but i had some fixing done to my computer and ever since then i have not been able to upload any footage.

I rarely ask for help here, but this is an emergency.

My friend installed a computer video game on my computer, but I don't have the registration number.

The video game is called "battlefield 1942" and it is for Mac OSX.

I plea to you. I tried google but my noob ass didn't find the correct links. I hope someone could help me, I need to play this game.

Two things

I'm in the market for a laptop

what should i look for?

1) Processor & Memory:

* Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5250 (1.50GHz)

* 2MB L2 cache

* 667MHz front side bus

* 2GB DDR2 SDRAM (2 x 1024MB, shared)

Drives:

* 120GB (5,400RPM) SATA Hard Drive

* 8x DVD±RW drive with Double Layer Support

2) Processor & Memory:

* Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7250 (2.0GHz)

* 2MB L2 cache

* 800MHz front side bus

* 2GB DDR2 SDRAM (2 x 1024MB, shared); maximum capacity 4GB

Drives:

* 120GB (5,400RPM) SATA Hard Drive

* 8x DVD±RW drive with Double Layer Support

Obvs the 2nd one is better

but what's the significant difference between a 1.50GHz and a 2.0ghz?

I knowww nothing

And I have an ancient http://www.amazon.com/Pavilion-ze4610us-Notebook-Athlon-Processor/dp/B0001B1AJS

with a busted harddrive

Can I put a new harddrive in myself or should I take it to a repair place

I think i'd be better off with a whole new one :( (i'm just tryna get serato up and running on the damn thing)

any help appreciated

Guest shai_hulud

If money isn't an issue, I would say, go with option number 2.

It sounds like you do music, correct? If so, the processor isn't really what matters if you plan to run live music apps like Serato or Final Scratch. More memory, however, is going to make things run a lot smoother. If you can upgrade to 4 GB and get a bigger (250 GB?) HD, then you'll have a kick-ass machine.

ANd, swapping out a laptop HD is easy. Just go to the HP site and look up the manual in PDF format. It's at most a ten minute job, and all you need is a screwdriver.

Good luck.

Guest shai_hulud

NO FUCKING WAY.

How does what look? Leopard? It's nice. We had problems with the server edition, so I'm waiting for the non-server edition torrent to finish.

I think you may like it. It's got a lot of bells and whistles. Mostly I like the idea of TIme Machine and the Stacks being consumer appplications. I mean, shit...multiple desktops and GHOST have been around forever, but only nerds knew about them.

Something tells me you aren't going to drop Vista, though.

i am guessing you probably dont have drivers installed on your pc for the camera.

try searching google for the camera type and drivers.

the camera model is GR-DVL307U. this is whats on the camera itself, the instruction manual has the same number plus GR-DVL507.

jvc does not have the first number posted on its page and when i searched for it it cant find it, for the second number thats on my manual on the jvc page all they have are the english instructions.

If money isn't an issue, I would say, go with option number 2.

It sounds like you do music, correct? If so, the processor isn't really what matters if you plan to run live music apps like Serato or Final Scratch. More memory, however, is going to make things run a lot smoother. If you can upgrade to 4 GB and get a bigger (250 GB?) HD, then you'll have a kick-ass machine.

ANd, swapping out a laptop HD is easy. Just go to the HP site and look up the manual in PDF format. It's at most a ten minute job, and all you need is a screwdriver.

Good luck.

Thank you very much. I just didn't know where to start, cnet had a pretty good guide as well.

I think i'll upgrade to a 2gb or 4gb(is kinda hard to find?) on the olde craptop, since I don't want windows vista.

^heres a tip-

DL the serato program off the site (if you can) from now and start ripping and /or tagging your collection in advance...it makes it a lot easier once you have your whole setup together....and to be safe back your music up on an external HD...

Oh...well my musics on about 3 different hard drives, so that process is going to take while

should I make ghost images of all of them?

Another question, if I take out the damaged harddrive in the olde laptop (and say place it in zip lock bag ha), can it still be salvaged in the future?

And sadly the highest drive I could get is 120.0 GB ATA/100 5400 RPM

& I'm going to add 512 MB to an empty memory slot

I feel like i'm building a grade school science project, probably better off with a whole new thingamabob

Oh...well my musics on about 3 different hard drives, so that process is going to take while

should I make ghost images of all of them?

Another question, if I take out the damaged harddrive in the olde laptop (and say place it in zip lock bag ha), can it still be salvaged in the future?

And sadly the highest drive I could get is 120.0 GB ATA/100 5400 RPM

& I'm going to add 512 MB to an empty memory slot

I feel like i'm building a grade school science project, probably better off with a whole new thingamabob

use an old static bag from some hardware. you might get one with your laptop.

and yeah, you can salvage it later.

should you make ghost images of all of your drives? yeah, if you want to keep the data.

it allows you to select what you want to back up

Guest shai_hulud
Thank you very much. I just didn't know where to start, cnet had a pretty good guide as well.

I think i'll upgrade to a 2gb or 4gb(is kinda hard to find?) on the olde craptop, since I don't want windows vista.

I normally don't say stuff like this, but...

You'd be better off getting a new laptop and upgrading the RAM to 4 GB- that's what I referring to by that number- and getting a bigger HD (160-250 GB)- to store more music on. RAM is what makes your computer run quickly and reliably. The processor speed is only noticeable in certain instances. If you have plenty of RAM, then you'll be able to run stuff like Serato in real time without it crashing on you.

Unfortunately, your old HP laptop isn't really cut out to run newer music apps like Serato. You MIGHT be able to do it, but you'd have a lot of crashes and lags unless you set up the OS SPECIFICALLY to do Serato. Then it wouldn't be good for much else. Best thing is, image the drive and get all your music and other files off of there, and donate it or hand it down to someone who needs a computer for basic stuff like going online and whatnot.

If the laptop you get is running Vista, you might as well use it for a while and see if you like it. Some folks say it's a good OS, but a lot of folks think it sucks. I tried it, and I wasn't impressed. If I were going to do music on a laptop, I'd go with the most stripped-down version of XP that included all the drivers I needed.

For that, I would look into TinyXP. Search for that on The Pirate Bay, and see if you see one that looks good for you. TinyXP 6 was good, it had a lot of drivers and was stable enough.