<<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support SuperThread >>>

Mainter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Guest shai_hulud

HEY, WIFI GUY-

Before I put my desktop into storage, I got one of those $30 D-Link USB wifi joints at CompUSA.

I was skeptical. However, it was all I could afford...but holy shit, it works great!! In Linux, no less!

Also- http://youtube.com/results?search_query=wep+cracking&search=Search

That's all for educational purposes, BTW. But, it proves that it can be done, and a lot easier than you would think.

HEY, WIFI GUY-

Before I put my desktop into storage, I got one of those $30 D-Link USB wifi joints at CompUSA.

I was skeptical. However, it was all I could afford...but holy shit, it works great!! In Linux, no less!

Also- http://youtube.com/results?search_query=wep+cracking&search=Search

That's all for educational purposes, BTW. But, it proves that it can be done, and a lot easier than you would think.

yeah, those things are nice, you can also make a parabolic antenna out of a strainer or wok.

extend your range a bit.

Guest shai_hulud
yeah, those things are nice, you can also make a parabolic antenna out of a strainer or wok.

extend your range a bit.

It was summertime. I just put it on an extension cable and threw it out the window.

Pulled in about six networks. I used the one in the house, mostly.

But, it's always nice to have a backup plan when the DSL conks out.

It was summertime. I just put it on an extension cable and threw it out the window.

Pulled in about six networks. I used the one in the house, mostly.

But, it's always nice to have a backup plan when the DSL conks out.

http://www.lumenlab.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20602&mode=threaded&pid=256284

http://binarywolf.com/249/

some stuff you might be interested in.

p.s.: lumenlab is fucking awesome.

Guest shai_hulud

Casek, can you explain how torrents work over VPN?

It didn't occur to me that this could be a real nigntmare to set up if you (me) weren't up to speed.

Guest shai_hulud
I just downloaded the opera after a few years of not using it and I really like the look of it... seems to be much better than firefox....

There's one small annoying thing about Opera and torrents i should mention. It has a built in torrent client that isn't very good, and it's tricky to disable it.

But, here's how you do it.

Disabling Opera's BitTorrent client

To disable Opera's BitTorrent client, simply follow this link:

opera:config#BitTorrent|Enable

Unselect "Enable", click "Save", and BitTorrent is disabled.

Note that it is not necessary to disable Opera's BitTorrent client in order to use a third-party BitTorrent client; simply follow the steps below.

Using a third-party BitTorrent client

If you wish to use a third-party client instead of Opera's BitTorrent client , follow these steps:

Go to Tools > Preferences > Advanced > Downloads

Unselect "Hide file types opened with Opera"

Type "torrent" in the Quick find box

Double-click the line that looks like this:

application/x-bittorrent torrent

From this dialog you can select to either use your system's default BitTorrent client (Open with default application) or define a preferred client (Open with other application).

Note that this will not disable Opera's BitTorrent client, but it will associate Torrent files with your preferred BitTorrent client.

I have always preferred Opera over FF. I've tried to get into FF, but Opera has always been faster and more stable- for me, anyway.

anyone know how to undo a internet surfer blockr?

You Have to be in SAFEMODE

little trick here to do this you have to turn off the RPC( the ping will work but it takes to long) so do this

Click on start, then click on Control Panel.

In Control Panel, click on Administrative Tools

In Administrative Tools, click on Services.

Choose the service you wish to modify. which is Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Once you select the RPC select Disable from the drop down box

exit and restart and you will be all set NO more internet blockage at all

now only do this on work or school computers not home computers ( home computer networks need this enabled for protection

thanks shai... I am still just playing around with it right now, but it looks and feels so much better, though there are a couple things I need to adjust to... I don't even have internet at my house right now which sucks..