<<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support SuperThread >>>

Mainter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
OK thanks seffiks.

It seems that the only one that shows anything is the final (3rd one down) secondary IDE channel, and it is the one that is set to PIO (the others say Current tranfer mode- Not applicable) It says DMA if available as the setting, yet I can't seem to switch it from PIO.

Am I needing to update (or rollback) my driver for this? There are options but I don't know what to do next. I think this is my problem, and I bet it is due to shitty Windows updates (or Java updates).

If I can do this I will backup to DVD then wipe my computer clean.

Umm, what do I do next?

Props to whoever answers:lol::lol:

Guest shai_hulud

Remember how you said I would want to use Vista when it came out, Mainter?

This may be the first time I've ever said this, but you were dead wrong. I'd rather use Leopard (once I can get it to work).

Guest shai_hulud
so whys yer reason you turned mac?

There's four of them at the house I'm staying at.

And none of them are Intel Macs.

We got X11 and GIMP to work on the G5. Next rainy day I'm gonna try to get KDE or Fluxbox up and running.

Guest shai_hulud

Hey rushawn...Switch what? The drive you store things on, or the drive the computer boots from?

If it's the former, just make a folder on the G drive and move all your personal stuff from the C drive to the folder. This does make me what D, E, and F are assigned to. One's got to be the optical, the other two....???

If it's the latter, ummmm...back everything up, switch the IDE cable around, reformat the drive, and reinstall everything.

For help with the install, see above.

I have a feeling I misunderstood what exactly you want to do.

There's four of them at the house I'm staying at.

And none of them are Intel Macs.

We got X11 and GIMP to work on the G5. Next rainy day I'm gonna try to get KDE or Fluxbox up and running.

so hows that mean you like MAC if you are putting open source OS's on top of it?

Guest shai_hulud
so hows that mean you like MAC if you are putting open source OS's on top of it?

I don't recall ever having a preference before. Although, I'm interested in PowerPCs now since I passed them by for so long. I just used x86 boxes because they're cheap and there's tons of hardware for them.

Having said that, the only Mac I've ever been able to get Linux to run on is a G3. The way I see it, I have a whole new base of knowledge to get into. Open firmware, bootstraps, PRAMs, FORTH...the guy I live with fixed Macs for 20 years, so I'm learning.

And, rushawn- be REALLY careful with Partition Magic. That program is part of the reason I ended up using Linux.

Hey rushawn...Switch what? The drive you store things on, or the drive the computer boots from?

If it's the former, just make a folder on the G drive and move all your personal stuff from the C drive to the folder. This does make me what D, E, and F are assigned to. One's got to be the optical, the other two....???

If it's the latter, ummmm...back everything up, switch the IDE cable around, reformat the drive, and reinstall everything.

For help with the install, see above.

I have a feeling I misunderstood what exactly you want to do.

i think i want to switch the drive the computer boots from. right now i think its booting from the c drive and that has the small memory which is getting filled up quick and i keep getting these "low disk space" messeges.

Guest shai_hulud

Or you can move all your personal files to the 60 GB. I broke this down for Mauler a couple pages back.

Having a small system drive isn't a big deal, unless you use the machine for gaming or A/V. Then, yeah. Go with the biggest drive you can afford.