<<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support SuperThread >>>

Mainter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

seffiks: i've got this computer here that i'm goign to have to lock a teenager out of.

found a pack on the demonoid to lock kids out, but this is a teenage girl who has an idea of

computers.

any advice?

i think i'm going to stick with the plan of medium security and alot of trickery to make the system look more secure than it is.

well my suggestion if she knows what she is doing then just make a user account for her /disable guest user accounts/ use software restriction policies/ like a password lockout on other usernames /make the minimum password 7 characters long make it include alpha/numeric/symbols example like P@ssw0rd/ remove the run box/prevent clock time change on the taskbar/control panel and command box/ prevent software installs without administration privlidges

if you want you can block websites all within windows security settings like myspace/facebook/live.spaces/yahoo360 all them social networking sites you know how them teen girls are

yeah, i know about the mmc stuffs. she's not super nerdy, i just need to keep her out.

i'm guessing i'll do lite work on the password to get in windows. but i'll restrict her permissions and make it impossible to get into her moms account.

it's tiny xp, btw.

and yeah, myspace i think, is one of the sites she wants blocked.

i guess i've got it locked. too stoned to work now, though.

ok back on subject

read it, and you will appreciate what Casek and I help you do (legal or illegal) and how much money you save by posting questions here

Hewlett-Packard's tech support engineers will soon be able to take a look under the virtual hood of your PC from thousands of miles away.

The company plans on Monday to unveil a service, called Instant Care, that lets HP technicians remotely connect to a user's PC--with their permission--to diagnose problems, upgrade drivers or teach the basics of PC maintenance, a company representative said. Instant Care is designed to bolster the capabilities of two HP support services already available: an educational service called SmartFriend and a maintenance service called PC Tune-up.

PC companies are starting to understand that consumers are getting fed up with shoddy customer service that keeps them on the telephone for hours or fails to solve their problem entirely. Companies are also recognizing that those customers are willing to pay other companies, such as Plumchoice or Geek Squad, for more personal services like remote diagnostics or even house calls.

Rather than cede that revenue in a low-margin business like the PC market, companies like Dell and HP are starting to improve and expand their own tech support services. Dell introduced a similar service called Dell Connect earlier this year that also links technicians to a user's PC and is free for customers still under warranty.

Instant Care is likewise free for HP customers who have valid warranties. The SmartFriend and PC Tune-up services are not. SmartFriend costs $59.99 for 45 minutes of advice and tutorials, while PC Tune-up costs $99.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

and yes i will help people remotely I have done it before from people on this message board (i think Casek would be willing to do it also

I am guessing I have a valid HP warranty, but I still appreciate what you guys help out with here in this thread.

BTW, my monitor on my old comp did die, even after I tried wht you said. It blew up, and made this horrible sparking sound and some steam/gas came out the top. Now I have a nice 20" LCD which seems to do the job alright.

i have a computer/torrent/burning a dvd question for ya? okay, so i can download a music torrent and load it onto my ipod, that's easy. and i'm thinking it's some what similar for downloading a video. i'm downloading a video torrent (named WCW.Starrcade.2000.VHSRip.XviD-CLASSiCW4F). (it's about 70% done - i'm using µTorrent to (i guess) open it?-) where is it going to go? how do i open it? how to i burn it on a dvd-r? thanks.

i have a computer/torrent/burning a dvd question for ya? okay, so i can download a music torrent and load it onto my ipod, that's easy. and i'm thinking it's some what similar for downloading a video. i'm downloading a video torrent (named WCW.Starrcade.2000.VHSRip.XviD-CLASSiCW4F). (it's about 70% done - i'm using µTorrent to (i guess) open it?-) where is it going to go? how do i open it? how to i burn it on a dvd-r? thanks.

to a download directory. download super dvd converter and use that to turn avi's into dvd's.

i have winDVD creator on my computer already, can i use that? can you recomend a good free super dvd converter if not? i did a google search and found some that i need to pay for? thanks casek. oh, and i had sent you a myspace message about this earlier.

windvd is fine. "super ddvd converter" is a program. you can find it on demonoid.com

http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/436679/12189546/