<<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support SuperThread >>>

Mainter

Re: «<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support >>>

PC Support

Get all your Windows, Hardware, Networking, and software support questions answered here

PC Tips and Tricks, Modding

Linux/Unix Support

Get all your Linux/Unix questions answered here

Linux/Unix Tips and Tricks

Mac Support

Get all your mac questions answered here

Mac Tips and Tricks

Electronics

Get all your questions on MP3 players, Digital Cameras, Digital Video Cameras, TV's, etc. answered here

hey for the viewers what the hell do you want to see posted here add yer comments

What Do You Want To See Here

Computer Graphics

Computer Hardware

Computer Security

Computers

Cyberculture

Databases

Embedded Systems

Encryption

Firefox

Hacking

IT

Instant Messaging

Internet

Internet Tools

Java

Linux/Unix

MacOS

Mobile Computing

Multimedia

Network Security

Online Games

Open Source

Operating systems

P2P

PHP

Peripheral Devices

Perl

Programming

Shareware

Software

Supercomputing

Video Games

Web Development

Webhosting

Weblogs

Windows

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

End of Support for Windows 98 & ME Looming Close

For those of you who don't know, Microsoft will be ending support for Windows 98, 98 Second Edition and Mellinium on July 11, 2006. At that time all public and technical support, including security updates, will end.

Some updates may remain available through Windows update but the info regarding this is sketchy, at best.

It is time to upgrade to WIndows XP! Security and stability will improve dramatically as will performance. Many computers will handle the upgrade and for those that won't, there are really cheap systems available, many for under $200.00, that will perform far in excess of the old Windows 98 system you might still own.

quick reply....cool...

um....its not a Dell, but not much better, as its a HP.....its served me well though! Its a Hp Pavilion t560a....

in device manager, under the usb controller heading it reads.... INTEL ® 82801EB USB2 Enhanced Host controller 24DD. Location isPCI bis 0, Device 29, Function 7. Under device status, it reads Device can not start (Code 10)

I hope this information helps, lord knows HP are shit house at giving any!

thanks guys!

yeah its the controller open the case and go press things down first and make everything is secure

if this is your first time opening a computer be careful esd will fuck it up even if you cannot feel it it will kill the computer hold the inside of metal of the case while using the other hand to press things down

ok i must not post this enough

you kids have to update your computers

go to your manufacturers website (dell/hp/compaq/gateway/blah blah blah (if you build your own then still go to your manufacturer website Abit/nvidea/AMD/intel blah blah blah

and update your firmware/drivers/all that good stuff it will make your computer run better thats what updates are for

I don't know if this is covered in the last 45 pages' date=' but do you know how to temporarily disable a internet blocker. like "websense"[/quote']

in IE just press and hold the ctrl key while clicking the website that you need pop ups to come up

How do I disable the Internet Explorer pop-up blocker?

• Note: This information only applies to the pop-up blocker built-in to Internet Explorer. These instructions will not work for pop-up blockers that come as part of any other software, such as the Google toolbar.
    If you are using Internet Explorer, you will notice a message appearing in the browser window when a "pop-up" has attempted to open a pop-up window:
    pop-up-block-1.gif

If you click on the bar, you will be given the option to Temporarily Allow, Always Allow or configure Settings.
    pop-up-block-2.gif

ok...

so i opened the box, and gave it a good push etc on all connections relating to the front usb panel. upon restart all is still working fine, but no usb still. i plug my ipod in, and it starts charging, but pc not recognising.

so i went to install the update you posted, and thats when i remember, that i have an illegitemate copy of XP Pro, and therefore cannot download any updates or service pack 2 for that matter! So my question now is, if i buy a legitimate copy of XP home upgrade, will i be able to install over the top and have no problems updating? what are my best options?

i have had a few problems of late, and really wanna get it all figured out!

Thanks for your help again!

thanks....

i have installed all the available updates, and all is well, but that damn pesky usb is still no starting.....could there be another reason for this? i have heard that they can be fried by high powered devices or something? im really over this whole thing, and wondering if it needs to be sent to the shop.....which involves being sent over 1000kms away!!! thanks HP!!!

anyways, any further help is greatly appreciated, but i'm off to bed now, i got to see 1:2:3:4/5/6, and nows its time for bed!

cheers!

thanks....

i have installed all the available updates, and all is well, but that damn pesky usb is still no starting.....could there be another reason for this? i have heard that they can be fried by high powered devices or something? im really over this whole thing, and wondering if it needs to be sent to the shop.....which involves being sent over 1000kms away!!! thanks HP!!!

anyways, any further help is greatly appreciated, but i'm off to bed now, i got to see 1:2:3:4/5/6, and nows its time for bed!

cheers!

yeah send it away say your usb host controller is fried because you make cheap ass motherboards on wholesale value

how many of you little fucks got pirated copies of XP????

just for my knowledge

if you do not wish to post it on the board just PM me

I wouldn't say my copy is pirated, but it's not "authentic"... my friend gave me a copy of his CD. It sucks, though, because I can't even get the latest version of DirectX without an authentic version of Windows (I'm sure I could get it somewhere, but still...).

Anyway, when I got my new hard drive I decided to upgrade Windows to Service Pack 2, and it's been pissing me off ever since. Whenever I try to run anything or download anything, I have to confirm it. When I'm viewing videos embedded in web pages, I'll have to click on the video to "activate the control" in order to change the volume or anything. Windows will automatically block any program that tries to access the internet. The list goes on and on when it comes to annoyances with Service Pack 2.

Should I just roll back to SP 1?

I wouldn't say my copy is pirated, but it's not "authentic"... my friend gave me a copy of his CD. It sucks, though, because I can't even get the latest version of DirectX without an authentic version of Windows (I'm sure I could get it somewhere, but still...).

Anyway, when I got my new hard drive I decided to upgrade Windows to Service Pack 2, and it's been pissing me off ever since. Whenever I try to run anything or download anything, I have to confirm it. When I'm viewing videos embedded in web pages, I'll have to click on the video to "activate the control" in order to change the volume or anything. Windows will automatically block any program that tries to access the internet. The list goes on and on when it comes to annoyances with Service Pack 2.

Should I just roll back to SP 1?

bill gates will eat your first born

PSP Gains Support for Flash, Podcasts

Sony delivers the first of three promised software updates for the PlayStation Portable.

Sony Computer Entertainment will begin offering a software update for the PlayStation Portable (PSP) that adds several features, including support for Flash content and the ability to save audio podcasts.

At present, the PSP's Web browser, which itself was added to the device through a software update last year, doesn't display Flash content although the update will change that. It will bring basic compatibility with Macromedia Flash 6, although Sony notes not all functions are supported. On the podcast side, the current player can only handle live streams of files captured through RSS (Really Simple Syndication) but with the update users will be able to download and store files to a Memory Stick for offline playback.

in IE just press and hold the ctrl key while clicking the website that you need pop ups to come up

How do I disable the Internet Explorer pop-up blocker?

• Note: This information only applies to the pop-up blocker built-in to Internet Explorer. These instructions will not work for pop-up blockers that come as part of any other software, such as the Google toolbar.
    If you are using Internet Explorer, you will notice a message appearing in the browser window when a "pop-up" has attempted to open a pop-up window:
    pop-up-block-1.gif

If you click on the bar, you will be given the option to Temporarily Allow, Always Allow or configure Settings.
    pop-up-block-2.gif

that is interesting, i will try it at work tomorrow. the name of the company that blocks it is called "websense". know anything about it?

How to disable "Websense"

First try to access

http://www.StupidCensorship.com/

If your admin hasn't updated their Websense blocked-site list yet, you can use that site to get around Websense.

If that site is blocked, then follow the instructions on Peacefire's page, setting up a circumventor. You can set up the "circumventor" program on your computer, and it will give you a URL that you can use to bypass Websense wherever you go.

so everytime I put in the URL, it wakes up my home computer and it is really my home computer doing the surfing, and I can just sort of "see" what my home computer is doing?

edit. the stupid censorship link does not work.