<<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support SuperThread >>>

Mainter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

yeah, i thought so, i'm due for a new system soon (overdue really), o and i was waiting on that new microsoft live or whatever, but not so sure now that i've heard the talk on here about how much it should suck, i'll probably get a xp sp2, right, and good reminder to update the firmware on the linksys. . .

new question, if you're installing something in windows and you have all those processes running (in the background, system tray, not the taskbar), do you all really take the time to shut them all down?

Originally posted by 23578@Mar 21 2006, 09:26 PM

new question, if you're installing something in windows and you have all those processes running (in the background, system tray, not the taskbar), do you all really take the time to shut them all down?

when you go to install something and it says to kill the processes it just means the main ones on your start menu just click x you do not have to take anything else off

if you got a newer computer its really not an issue because you have enough processor power to handle it.

if you dont there is a chance that files called .dll will get crossed while your other operations are running which can cause errors

Originally posted by Lonesome Cowboy Bill@Mar 21 2006, 10:59 PM

ok I got a laptop from work and it has a windows log-on. I called our office manager, whose not too bright to get the pw and she was clueless...I'll probably call the tech people tommorow to bypass her, but is there away around the log-on or to change the pw?

what version of windows?

get erd commander

Originally posted by Lonesome Cowboy Bill@Mar 21 2006, 10:59 PM

ok I got a laptop from work and it has a windows log-on. I called our office manager, whose not too bright to get the pw and she was clueless...I'll probably call the tech people tommorow to bypass her, but is there away around the log-on or to change the pw?

here is a program for you called

crack password administrator

http://www.sendover.com/4UW8-2J-N3TE

and here is the other one

ERD Commander

Originally posted by Mainter+Mar 22 2006, 01:27 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mainter - Mar 22 2006, 01:27 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Lonesome Cowboy Bill@Mar 21 2006, 10:59 PM

ERD Commander

[/b]

how do i use the cp administrator?

Originally posted by Lonesome Cowboy Bill+Mar 22 2006, 03:31 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lonesome Cowboy Bill - Mar 22 2006, 03:31 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Mainter@Mar 22 2006, 01:27 AM

<!--QuoteBegin-Lonesome Cowboy Bill@Mar 21 2006, 10:59 PM

ERD Commander

how do i use the cp administrator?

[/b]

i will send you the link if you still need it i cannot do it now because i am in school kinda looks illegal if i do it here ;)

Some may benefit from Windows Vista delay

Microsoft Corp.'s delay in releasing the consumer version of its new Windows operating system is a blow to companies that make and sell computers, but perhaps good news for others in the electronics industry.

Analysts say consumers who were considering buying a new PC this holiday season may now opt for a fancy new television, a rival Apple computer or even Microsoft's own Xbox 360 videogame console, giving an unexpected boost to companies that make those products.

"Every holiday season there are the top five hot items, and one of those items this year would've been a Windows Vista PC," said Samir Bhavnani, a principal analyst with Current Analysis. "Now that's off the list and it leaves room for, maybe, a wide-screen television."

what will you buy this holiday season?

PC Support

Get all your Windows, Hardware, Networking, and software support questions answered here

PC Tips and Tricks, Modding

Linux/Unix Support

Get all your Linux/Unix questions answered here

Linux/Unix Tips and Tricks

Mac Support

Get all your mac questions answered here

Mac Tips and Tricks

Electronics

Get all your questions on MP3 players, Digital Cameras, Digital Video Cameras, TV's, etc. answered here

hey for the viewers what the hell do you want to see posted here add yer comments

What Do You Want To See Here

Computer Graphics

Computer Hardware

Computer Security

Computers

Cyberculture

Databases

Embedded Systems

Encryption

Firefox

Hacking

IT

Instant Messaging

Internet

Internet Tools

Java

Linux/Unix

MacOS

Mobile Computing

Multimedia

Network Security

Online Games

Open Source

Operating systems

P2P

PHP

Peripheral Devices

Perl

Programming

Shareware

Software

Supercomputing

Video Games

Web Development

Webhosting

Weblogs

Windows

Where's our breakthrough tech product?

Monday, 20 March 2006

Is it just me, or does technology seem to be going through an evolutionary rather than revolutionary period? Drug companies have long been complaining about not having any new blockbuster drugs to sell, but it seems to me that infotech is doing the same.

We're now six years into this decade, and it's hard to choose any one product that could really be considered revolutionary. By the same stage in the 80s, the PC was clearly a major technological breakthrough. The 90s saw the web storm into the mainstream and with it most of the web applications that are still popular today - the search engine, the online journal, web mail, the discussion board, e-commerce etc.

Of course PCs are better now and web sites are slicker, but where's the magic new product that knocks your socks off?

The best contender I can think of is the iPod. After that - ummm - maybe the camera-phone? Google Earth? I'm open to suggestions from anyone else.

While the iPod is a cool product, it's not really in the same league as the PC or the web for changing society. It's just an MP3 player with more storage and a slick interface - not really breakthrough stuff in a planet-shattering way.

Google Earth is nice, but I can't really say I use it that much. And it doesn't give me the sense that the whole world is about to change the way the Apple II, the Mac, and Netscape Navigator did in their time. Even products with the WOW! factor of say, Adobe Photoshop, seem to be beyond us. This is despite plenty of money being poured into IT.

What's gone wrong with the infotech innovation machine? Have we all just run out of ideas?

ok mainter thanks, but I got our tech guy to log me in and gave me a new un, but that is good to know, thanks,

but heres an easy one...I hope...

I have this laptop from work...I want to get onto the internet real quick here at home to install some software (yes I work more than 12 hours a day)...I only have comcast cable...I unplugged it from my desktop and plugged it into my laptop, but it won't detect the internet...how do I set it up???

...I played through all the set-up shit couldn't figure it out..I know its easy, just not too sure...

at school, our tech guy always did that for us, so I never learned plus i was no administrator, unless thats my problem, but i don't think so...

EDIT*****

I figured it out I think..anyway I get wireless on it...not sure from where, lol, but its wicked fast, so whatever...

Originally posted by Lonesome Cowboy Bill@Mar 23 2006, 12:15 AM

ok mainter thanks, but I got our tech guy to log me in and gave me a new un, but that is good to know, thanks,

but heres an easy one...I hope...

I have this laptop from work...I want to get onto the internet real quick here at home to install some software (yes I work more than 12 hours a day)...I only have comcast cable...I unplugged it from my desktop and plugged it into my laptop, but it won't detect the internet...how do I set it up???

...I played through all the set-up shit couldn't figure it out..I know its easy, just not too sure...

at school, our tech guy always did that for us, so I never learned plus i was no administrator, unless thats my problem, but i don't think so...

EDIT*****

I figured it out I think..anyway I get wireless on it...not sure from where, lol, but its wicked fast, so whatever...

Usually with cable service when changing systems direcly connected to the modem you need to unplug modem wai t 30 seconds plug it back in wait another 30 seconds then connect other system. Most likely the laptop wont connect because the mac address of desktop is registered (for lack of a better word at this hour) with your ISP.

sorry for the delay i was sleeping

koo koo i love when dumbasses leave wireless open hack there router while yer at it default password try admin

man, that vista news sucks. i need a new computer, well want one anyway. have narrowed it down to the following three routes, build one, have done this before, but gets expensive before everything is installed medium of the line ($139 for sp2, same for tiger OS). or should i buy a prepackaged system on sale, there is always room for comprimise, right? if i'm comprimising, why don't i just keep the computer i have in this room and go to wal-mart and get that compaq laptop with wireless. i just think laptops are a waste on me though, i don't use the computer away from home yet, so i'd rather have the speed and somewhat forward compatibility that comes with a nice open architecture with lots of slots.

so here is my question what is the shit for prepackaged computer motherboards, you know, what makers are giving away the goodstuff prepacked?