Dj fined 1.4 million euros for MP3s.

RumPuncher

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

some dj's are on the run because of releasing tracks

on mixtapes early. I did an interview with whookid and

he says he's been chased by artists because these guys

need to get paid he's gone and put the tracks on mixtapes

before the release dates. He's grabbed promo copies off

desks at A&R's offices and shit. but then again......

he makes his 'mixtapes' in pro-tools and plays DAT tapes at clubs.

Originally posted by <KEY3>@Feb 18 2005, 01:56 PM

or how about this....

you hit up the used record store and by a james brown album for 25 cents.

Then you play it in the club. James Brown isn't getting paid royalties, so are you a theif?

i have no idea where you were going with that first one.

as far as this goes though, no, james brown is not getting royalties however at some point he got money for that record which is good enough. honestly, the playing mp3s in clubs issue isnt about these guys getting paid. i couldnt give two shits if a multi-millionaire is losing a few cents here and there. the real issue lies keeping something true to its roots. you already have mixers that hold samples and effects, fancy ass idiot proof compression...all of the gadgets that work to the djs benefit...at least require the guy, who you just paid $15 to see, to spin some vinyl.

thats just me though....

the first thing was just to call you a nerd, but I am a nerd there too.

I agree that people need to spin the wax, but not always.

It really should be about the sellection and the vibe, no matter

what format is used in the dj booth. Think of John Acquviva who

plays all his sets from final scratch and a laptop. He ALSO owns

one of the largest record collections ever (I've heard it's over 100,000 pieces).

Is his set from final scratch any worse than from wax?

Originally posted by <KEY3>@Feb 18 2005, 05:06 PM

the first thing was just to call you a nerd.

i laughed out loud on that one. nice job.

as far as john acquviva goes i think hes an exception to the rule. i still cant really get down with it but im certainly in no place to criticize either. honestly...im not going to talk about anyone who is getting rich playing records for a living...you cant be jealous and a critic at the same time.

Originally posted by boogie hands+Feb 18 2005, 09:45 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (boogie hands - Feb 18 2005, 09:45 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-<KEY3>@Feb 18 2005, 01:56 PM

or how about this....

you hit up the used record store and by a james brown album for 25 cents.

Then you play it in the club. James Brown isn't getting paid royalties, so are you a theif?

i have no idea where you were going with that first one.

as far as this goes though, no, james brown is not getting royalties however at some point he got money for that record which is good enough. honestly, the playing mp3s in clubs issue isnt about these guys getting paid. i couldnt give two shits if a multi-millionaire is losing a few cents here and there. the real issue lies keeping something true to its roots. you already have mixers that hold samples and effects, fancy ass idiot proof compression...all of the gadgets that work to the djs benefit...at least require the guy, who you just paid $15 to see, to spin some vinyl.

thats just me though....

[/b]

i completley agree here with your last sentence. i feel that djing should predominantly about mixing with vynnl. i mean, thats the essence of djing. i suppose, i am really only talking about the sort of clubs where you actually get dj's who should know better. i expect much less from a cheesy, mainstream, "superclub". in fact, i expect them to have shit djs who mix between burnt cd's and anoter dj's mix cd tracks!!

rahhjdfkf;.

sneak/the birthday celebrations have begun/

So who was the DJ? I'm guessing either Mauro Picotto (what the Dutch tabloids are saying) or Gabry "that one motherfucker from eifel65" Ponte. I'm gonna go with the later based on the fact he's made tons of money with a #1 hit single and can actually pay the fine.

As for DJing: FACT. JUST BECAUSE YOU OWN THE DFA CATALOGUE FROM THE LAST 8 MONTHS AND CAN OCCASIONALLY BEATMATCH DOES NOT MAKE YOU A DJ.