Living in Japan

krs702

Originally posted by 12:02p.m@Sep 12 2005, 07:42 AM

hows the price of living in japan?

Ummmm....see above :clown2:

Moe~

I use my granny bike to bomb but I don`t live that centrally so it is a long haul. basically I choose one train line and crush tracksides out as much as I can. I hate that the train finishes so early. NYC is the shit for having an all night train.

Serumsan~

I barely work anymore so anytime holmes. I gotta come visit you though! Give me lots of notice and you can crash at mine for a few nights.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my opinions of japan hasnt changed, just my mood. it goes up and down. j culture is no joke. i think people can come here for a year or two and never be effected by it. but mind you these people usually keep themselves as isolated as they can. they go to work, speaking english and talking with the other western teachers, then hit the bars after work that are 90% western guys waiting for the other 10% japanese female meat to walk in. then week after week repeat. the problem with this is that the only thing that these guys are getting outta japan is a headache and a few bucks. but usually due to the stress of work and living in a foreign country they piss away all the money on alcohol. i certainly did my first year here. usually these type of people only experience the drawbacks of living/working in japan. but if you want to have a good experience i'd suggest concentrating on whatever part of japanese culture that has caught your intrest enough to make you want to live here.

what are you going to do for work aser1ne? if you have a choice in where you are going to live i`d suggest doing a little research into the areas that seem cool to you. heres my opinion but i`d suggest talking to others to get a less biased opinion,

hokkaido is cool but little to no graff scene and cold as a bitch in the winter, very comparable to chicago or boston winter. ive painted there and there seems to be a lot of walls just screaming to be hit. but hell fuck the cold.

tokyo is where mostly everyone flocks to. its very difficult to budget and save money because everything is overpriced and the tokyo culture kinda promotes you to spend lavishly on a night out on the town. my j friends take me to some designer bar and after a few drinks the bill is already reached a $100 a piece. ouch. the graff scene is rather large but in my opinion filled with a lot of toys. there are the j guys that have been aroung for a sec, and some western cats that spice it up a bit but its not too easy to paint since theres like a million people walking around at night alone. because of that tokyo is mostly a bombing culture, strictly tags, throwups, stickers. but graff is new and quickly progressing so things will hopefully change. tokyo is just one big megalopolis with yokohama being a 45 minute train ride away. alot of hustle and bustle.

kansai area which is nara kyoto kobe osaka is my hood. the area is cheaper than tokyo and less crowded, laid back but the people tend to be more prejudice towards others. this includes towards other japanese. they basically need a little warming up to first before they let you into their circle which i kinda compare to american culture. the writers are very talented out here however they hardly paint. if they do its in one small section called amemura (american village) or legal crap. theres alot of places to piece however this is what i think makes kansai more suitable for writers if painting is your thing. people dont really care what you do out here and mind their own business. tokyo has the heros. also i can travel to all the kansai cities within an hour by train so thats a plus since theres tons of walls along the way.

the southern cities include hiroshima fukuoka and okinawa islands. hiroshima seems to me to have the best writers period. these guys acutally paint and are getting better and better everytime i pick up a new kaze or hs magazine. but hiroshima people dont like westerners due to the bombings. also its pretty much a small city with alot of rice fields. fukuoka is a small city with a few writers there. okinawa seems to have the biggest painting culture out of the southern area. but i wouldnt recommend living there because of the US army base. these fucking retards go around gang raping elementary school girls and the US marines cover it up by paying large sums of money and putting on a curfew. just this week some 21 year old jar head headbutted an 80 year old woman. it makes me embarassed to be an american. so id really suggest staying away from there besides a visit.

sorry for the long post hope this helps. if anyone has any questions feel free to email me or pm.

Archived