breaking: more bombs go off in madrid

Guest BROWNer

Guest BROWNer

Series of bombs rip through Madrid

Last Updated Fri, 03 Dec 2004 13:12:36 EST

MADRID - A series of explosions ripped through Madrid on Friday following a warning from the Basque separatist group ETA.

The bombs were reportedly of "low potency" and there have been no reports of injuries so far.

One device exploded at a gas station near a highway packed with people leaving the city for a long holiday weekend, the news agency Efe said, quoting the manager of the station.

There were reports of two other smaller blasts.

Earlier Friday, a Basque newspaper said it received a call from a ETA spokesman who said five explosive devices had been placed at gas stations along major highways leading out of Madrid.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I don't understand why the Basque region wants to separate from spain, the only thing they got is a different culture and language (and lets face it spain has like 9 of those).

not just that but economincally I don't think that it would benifit the region to separate.

although i know nothing about this..

generally speaking sometimes nations as in a group of people who have something in common develop group political consciousness. then they desire to either integrate or seperate. if integration is not successfull or undesirable, seperation may occur. if successfull the nation will then form a political body which will in theory create a state. you then have a nation-state. however exactly what defines a nation is subject to debate. is a nation allowed to include or exlcude people based on race, color, ethnicity? what are the qualifiers for being in a nation..how does this relate to the current issues topic discussed here?

Guest imported_Tesseract

Any attempts to compare 3/11 with ETA are useless. Totally different gameplay. The story with ETA is far more complex and needs to be taken in serious thought before judging, same goes for the IRA.

On an unrelated sidenote, spain in its history has more blood in its hands than any other invading force. Its funny us euros are the good guys now but i think that european supermacy over the known world was ten times bloodier, brutal and unjustified than what the US did in our recent history. Luckily, mistakes are made to get taught from.

Guest BROWNer

-"Its funny us euros are the good guys now but i think that european supermacy over the known world was ten times bloodier, brutal and unjustified than what the US did in our recent history."

on point.

This ETA thing has been going on for a long, long time. The Spaniards suppressed Basque culture and tried to prohibit the speaking of Basque, and to prohibit Basque children from learning the language. This is similar to the British trying to exterminate Gaelic in Ireland. I think the ETA originated around 1968 or so. They were sort of a copycat of the IRA, I think.

The Spanish anarchist movement always supported the Basques, because Franco ruthlessly oppressed them, and since the anarchists fought tirelessly against Franco and fascism, they tried to help the Basques and in the 1960's and '70's, the fledgling ETA.

One of the ETA's great victories was the assassination of a Spanish prime minister (I think he was P.M.) with a huge underground tunnel bomb. They rented a ground-floor apartment across the street from where the Prime Minister went to church every day and tunnelled down under the street and to the spot where his chauffeur parked the limosine every day to let the P.M. out to got into the cathedral. The ETA guys put the dirt in bags and filled up EVERY ROOM of the apartment with tunnel dirt.

They set off this huge-ass bomb with remote control. It killed several bodyguards as well as the P.M. His car landed upside down on a third-story roof of a church outbuilding a couple of blocks away from the cathedral. The ETA guys set it off with a long wire and a battery, standing around the corner from the cathedral, with one guy served as a spotter. Car drives up, chauffeur gets out, then KA-BOOM.

Archived