stupid Christians

Herbivore

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6516017/

Texas school calls off cross-dressing day

Christian group gets school’s tradition canceled

Updated: 9:29 p.m. ET Nov. 17, 2004

HOUSTON - Camouflage was in and cross-dressing was out at a rural East Texas school district Wednesday after a Christian legal group complained that a long-standing school tradition of reversing social roles for a day would promote homosexuality.

Students in Spurger, Texas, were encouraged by school officials to wear camouflage hunting gear to class after they called off their annual “TWIRP Day” in which boys dressed as girls and vice versa.

The cross-dressing tradition began some years back as a kind of Sadie Hawkins Day where girls ask boys to go out on dates.

TWIRP stands for “The Woman Is Requested To Pay.”

But Delana Davies, who has two children in the Spurger school, complained this year that the tradition could promote homosexuality and got the Liberty Legal Institute, a right-wing Christian legal group, to take up the cause.

“It might be fun today to dress up like a little girl — kids think it’s cute and things like that. And you start playing around with it and, like drugs, you do a little here and there [and] eventually it gets you,” Davies told reporters.

“It is outrageous that a school in a small town in east Texas would encourage their 4-year-olds to be cross-dressers,” institute litigation director Hiram Sasser said.

He sought and obtained permission from the district for the woman’s children to stay out of school for the the day.

School attorney Tanner Hunt said the Liberty group misrepresented TWIRP Day and made it sound sinister when it has always been innocent fun.

“I guarantee you nobody on the school board or in the administration ever had that cross their minds,” Hunt said of the “cross-dressing” reference.

Sasser said it was not his intent to disparage the school.

“The district gets mad every time I say ‘cross-dress,’ but I don’t know what other way to describe it,” he said.

Because of the controversy, school officials decided to change Wednesday from TWIRP Day to Camouflage Day, in what Hunt described as a reference to the clothing hunters wear during deer-hunting season, which is going on now and is enormously popular in rural Texas.

Despite the change from TWIRP Day, Hunt said some of the students stuck to the old tradition and wore clothes of the opposite sex.

“I understand from the superintendent that some of the boys dressed in pink shorts anyway,” he said.

Copyright 2004 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

why do the people who seem to have the biggest 'stick up the ass'

always force their no-fun morality on people who are generally chill?

-Free your mind and you ass will follow - George Clinton

Some times i cant understand how people can be so close minded. Fuck i wonder how some people can have such a strict religous view on life that it limits their abilitly to accept other peoples way of life.

I'll bet Delana Davies dresses like its 1952 and scoffs at black people.

that really makes me wonder about everyone involved, seriously i mean on one hand i dont see anything wrong with it but on the other hand its kinda scary.

but at the same time the reaction is a bit much.

Archived