Caseks-Computer-Corner

RumPuncher

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest Sparoism

And, I've learned a lot in the past two months, Mainter....You'd be proud/surprised.

I actually took your cue and got some UNIX books to learn from. Heavy stuff. But I'm catching on.

Guest Sparoism

No, that was my thread...and they're still here.

Things have quieted down a lot since I put the camera in the window, though.

And, casek, the comp didn't come with the cable...we tried it out at my friend's house and it was D-E-D dead. If I had known I could fix it, I might have given it a shot....20-20 hindsight.

Originally posted by Dr. Dazzle+Feb 8 2006, 06:22 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dr. Dazzle - Feb 8 2006, 06:22 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-lord_casek@Feb 7 2006, 11:47 PM

Type: General Purpose

Processor Family: Intel 5 Series (Pentium 4)

Installed RAM: 512 MB

Hard Drive Capacity: 160 GB

RAID: No

Graphics Card: Intel GMA 900

Primary Optical Drive: CD-RW

Secondary Optical Drive: DVD-ROM

Monitor Type: LCD

Monitor Size: 17 inches

Sooo what kind of video card is in it?

[/b]

Ahem...

Originally posted by Sparoism@Feb 9 2006, 01:17 AM

And, I've learned a lot in the past two months, Mainter....You'd be proud/surprised.

I actually took your cue and got some UNIX books to learn from. Heavy stuff. But I'm catching on.

thats great need more users to spread the word that windows sucks and get linux but i do think linux needs to set some tuffer (that a word) standards on the open source market but yeah keep reading hey go for some cert tests so you can get money for learning this shit look up linux/unix cert tests and take one good to have on the resume

Guest Sparoism

I'm planning on taking some courses at Berkeley....apparently one of the guys who developed BSD has a extention class in UNIX, and I think I want to take that before I go for a certificate course.

Guest Sparoism

32....never too old to learn.

Shit passed me by, I think sometimes. I have it on good authority that he's a really good teacher, so that's a huge plus.

I'm not so sure about getting an IT job, but I'm mostly just doing it for the knowledge.

yeah i like it for the knowledge too but sense i like it so much i said why the hell not make a career out of it now thinking about it i do not think it is a good idea i am losing my hobby i do not like working with computers when i get home when i have to administrator them all day long

Guest Sparoism

I know exactly what you mean..I was a messenger for years, and I still can't look at a bike without associating it with work.

Are you running Linux? If so, what's your flavor?

Guest Sparoism
Originally posted by lord_casek@Feb 8 2006, 10:35 PM

security guys are sought after now.

linux is a good field to be involved in

Yeah, that and data recovery. Two things on my "need to learn/know" list.

Originally posted by Sparoism+Feb 9 2006, 02:39 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sparoism - Feb 9 2006, 02:39 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-lord_casek@Feb 8 2006, 10:35 PM

security guys are sought after now.

linux is a good field to be involved in

Yeah, that and data recovery. Two things on my "need to learn/know" list.

[/b]

if you read a little bit every day.....

i'll give you until 2007 and you'll have a great career.

Guest Sparoism

I checked that out(looks sharp, BTW), but I'm already running the Kill BIll version of SLAX.

Is it worth it? And, two other things- the installer was removed from 5.0.7, and I'm not sure if I can overlay distros on my laptop (low RAM). Is there a module for it? Maybe I'll just go that route.

Guest Sparoism

Awesome, Mainter...well, we'll take over someday. Apparently, 12 oz. is on a RH4 server. Makes sense.

Oh, and a book recommendation...I just read "Just For Fun" by Linus Torvalds. If you want to get an idea of where he's coming from, I recommend it...not a bad read.

Originally posted by Sparoism@Feb 9 2006, 01:43 AM

I checked that out(looks sharp, BTW), but I'm already running the Kill BIll version of SLAX.

Is it worth it? And, two other things- the installer was removed from 5.0.7, and I'm not sure if I can overlay distros on my laptop (low RAM). Is there a module for it? Maybe I'll just go that route.

ahhh are you ready for SLAX its pretty hard at first yeah the overlay will work how much RAM you talking about

ummm just delete the partition on the drive if you want to remove it

http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml