Caseks-Computer-Corner

RumPuncher

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by Cheddar Bob@Feb 14 2006, 04:06 PM

with tor you can like create another name on 12oz and they won't know your other usernames on here? because I got my postin privileges taken away and a moderator looked at the ip addresses and shit and found out what my other username was on here...

yep i never sign up on any message board with my real IP because if that reason or any other website that requires a login for that fact

Clear index.dat files manually in Windows XP

Even if you regularly clear your Internet History, Temp files, and cookies to keep ordinary snoops at bay, you're overlooking a very important detail: index.dat files. These hidden files contain information about your IE surfing history and your Outlook activity.

Microsoft claims index.dat files cache webpages you visit to help speed up the loading time in Internet Explorer. A lot of folks disagree, and there are a few conspiracy theories floating around about what index.dat files are really for.

Index.dat files aren't only hidden, they're system files. Even if you select to show hidden files in your folder options, they remain unseen. To track down index.dat files, you need to know where to look.

File names and locations depend on which version of Internet Explorer you have. Assuming you run IE 4.0 or above, the file names will be "index.dat."

In WinXP, here's where you'll usually find them.

* C:\Documents and Settings\username\cookies

* C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\History

* C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

Clean 'Em Up!

1. Restart your computer in Safe Mode with Command Prompt. (Press F8 on startup and choose Safe Mode With Command Prompt.)

2. Log on as administrator. Enter your password.

3. Once you reach the command prompt, type "CD\" (no quotes) and hit Enter to get to your root directory.

4. Type "del index.dat /s" (no quotes) and hit Enter to erase all files named index.dat on your computer.

5. Type "shutdown -r" (no quotes) to restart your computer normally.

Your index.dat files will return once Windows boots up normally again, but they'll be empty! Have fun hiding your dirty little secrets.

SourceSource

Guest Sparoism

Don't worry, Bob...it's not for XP. Try Google and type in "Tor support for Windows XP" and that should make more sense.

Mainter, your link goes to the Gentoo Tor support wiki. Oops.

Oh, how's your FreeBSD box running? Any trouble yet?

I'm gonna try tihis Slackware based distro called Ultima out...I'll give you the lowdown sometime soon.

Originally posted by Sparoism@Feb 14 2006, 11:36 PM

Don't worry, Bob...it's not for XP. Try Google and type in "Tor support for Windows XP" and that should make more sense.

Mainter, your link goes to the Gentoo Tor support wiki. Oops.

Oh, how's your FreeBSD box running? Any trouble yet?

I'm gonna try tihis Slackware based distro called Ultima out...I'll give you the lowdown sometime soon.

have not bothered with it sense i posted on the linux thread just have not been in the mood i will prolly check it out this weekend

Sparoism,

I tried out PCBSD and it set up wonderfully on this spare shit-box I have running. Was able to boot to the desktop without any boot floppys or CDs. Ultimately, I decided to go with Linux, though.

I have Slackware 10.2 running on the box now. It doesn't have LILO configured so I have to use slax's setup cd #1 in order to get a prompt and boot into linux with a "bare.i /dev/hda1 ro noinit.rd" or some shit. But I like it. I only wish I could go higher than 1072x768.

Guest Sparoism

Yeah, I have an old Compaq PII laptop that just runs Linux. Right now it's running SLAX kill bil fine for the most part, but it's a little buggy (my biggest gripe with it is that they didn't include the "help" module....HELLO?)

So, I'm gonna try out Ultima and see if it's to my liking. It's also Slackware 10.2 based....I'm forcing myself to use Slackware because I think the only way I'm ever gonna learn Linux is the hard way...i.e. trial and error.

The cool thing about Ultima is that it has Gimp and OpenOffice.org 2.0 (both of which I've used and enjoyed) and the Enlightenment 16 window manager, since looking at plain old KDE all the time is not too exciting.

So, here goes.

Guest Sparoism

Well, we're just talking about computers!

By that, I mean compared to some of the other stuff on this board...shit, they can leave us nerds with our silly tech talk to our own devices. They exactly what's going on 99% of the time, and it's usually on the up and up.

Usually.

Well, yeah, it's ALL on the up and up! Don't worry, we'll be fine.

I told everyone in the Yard how I made all kinds of shit when I got back on here. (and BTW, I told you everything I could think of, guys. I'll come back if something new pops up, but...)

So, now computing is my thing.

excuse me for being ignorant but whats the deal with linux?

advantages over windows os?

im really interested in learning...

another ?: i have a fuckload of files on my hd that i really cant afford to lose... graphic work ive done for people and shit... and also a lot of digi photos.... totalling prolly between 65-75 gb... whats the best, most economic/efficient way of backin up all these files?

Originally posted by johnny ballbags@Feb 15 2006, 10:48 AM

thats pretty much what i thought...

so would that external work on some copy and paste type ish or is there software that could sync the two drives?

*where do i get a linux live cd?... or should i just read back a few pages and answer my own question?

http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php here get all your linux distros here