Illustrator

dosoner

I just got the new Ill. CS and am playing around with the 3D feature.

It's almost exactly like Adobe Dimensions, but I like the fact that it's integrated now.

I'm trying to learn how to do more photo realism in Illustrator. I did the Kiosk which I posted above all in Ill, and it turned out better than I thought it would.

I'll post some stuff using the 3d feature as soon as I get done playing around with it.

It's kind of buggy, and you need a lot of RAM to make it work while mapping images on surfaces.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i found this great adobe illustrator tutoial type classroom on a cd thing from torrentcrawler.com that i'm procrastinatiing on watching.

hopefully i can integrate it with 3dsm7 pretty soon. i'm really digging this new plugin called cebas finaltoon that does cel-shade type ish materials. neat stuff.

Here's a simple Illustrator 3d image I made using the revolve feature.

The image I mapped onto the can was really complex as far as anchor points.

The problem is that you need a ton of RAM to complete this type of thing. Simple image maps are a lot faster.

I had to render each can separate, then copy it into Photoshop because my computer was not be able to handle it.

The Graff on the can was originally drawn by ColorOne DTS.

17.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently doing a few designs for some T shirts but really have little or no knowledge on the specifications or requirements, I am doing the designs in Illustrator and having them made, but my main question right now is about the color process, is color managed the same for shirts as it is for print material, ex: pantone colors or cmyk? I don't want my orange to come out pink nah I mean?!

if any of you ever worked on that I'll apreciate any comments, tips, hints, or whatever

Thanx

oh and I'll try to post em up later on when I'm done with em.

Both

You can specify PMS colors for each color, or you can use CMYK.

It all depends on the complexity of the image.

You can combine CMYK and Spot colors to.

I've always used spot colors, but my artwork is designed that way.

Post the image, and I can tell you the best way to do it.

Here's a pic of an ad showing an 8 spot color shirt I did a while back.

The screener can separate the colors for you when they make the screens. They usually charge $5-20 bucks per color and they will usually charge you a set up fee to make the screens.

It is best for you to print out black and white separations on regular paper to give the screener so that they will not screw anything up.

shirts.jpg

Hope this helps

Both

You can specify PMS colors for each color, or you can use CMYK.

It all depends on the complexity of the image.

Word up!

if I use cmyk you think the colors projected by my monitor are slightly off from what they actually are? is there anything to prevent drastic changes in hues?

You can combine CMYK and Spot colors to.

I'll probly stick to CMYK, dont got a pantone chart.

Here's a pic of an ad showing an 8 spot color shirt I did a while back.

dope shirt,

yeah its exactly the same idea and the same type of image. There's no blends or gradients or anything like that. It's pretty much made up of shapes.

The screener can separate the colors for you when they make the screens. They usually charge $5-20 bucks per color and they will usually charge you a set up fee to make the screens.

It is best for you to print out black and white separations on regular paper to give the screener so that they will not screw anything up.

Yeah I was told to provide them with an eps or illustrator file for color separation.

now about the black and white separations you're talking about I don't know what that is.

man I appreciate your help yo....... It help much

Thank you.

Originally posted by cantinflas@Feb 24 2005, 10:29 PM

if I use cmyk you think the colors projected by my monitor are slightly off from what they actually are? is there anything to prevent drastic changes in hues?

now about the black and white separations you're talking about I don't know what that is.

Show the image to the screener and if they are any good, they will work with you on trying to match the colors.

--------------------------------------------------

In illustrator you can print out separations of your CMYK or Spot Colors yourself. It's in the print dialog box that comes up.

It's a little tricky if you've never done it before.

What it does is make a black and white version of a specific color.

They are called Color separations, but they are actually Black and White not color.

Lets say you are using CMYK.

When it's separated, you will have 1 C(cyanamid) print, 1 M(magenta) print, 1 Y(yellow) print and 1 K(black) print.

They are all black, because when you burn your screens, you need an all black printout, not a color one.

You print a color version of the finished piece so they can match to that, but unless you print out a Color Proof (these are expensive) it's hard to match the colors exactly.

Any print shop should be able to show you a Pantone book. You can even look at one at any Art Supply store.

If you use spot colors, you are limited by the cost. Over 2 or 3 colors gets expensive, but if you can afford it, spot colors will look way better.

On my shirts I have made a screen of black that I used for the shadows. This greatly reduces the number of colors you are using.

Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...

i just got a copy of illustrator... and im not too bad at navigating around and playing/and or/ creating stuff in photoshop... and i learned by exploring... yet i cant get illustrator to do shit for me... tutorials just dont work for me.. i need to read some books...

Originally posted by ilovedrunk@Mar 11 2005, 02:33 AM

i just got a copy of illustrator... and im not too bad at navigating around and playing/and or/ creating stuff in photoshop... and i learned by exploring... yet i cant get illustrator to do shit for me... tutorials just dont work for me.. i need to read some books...

you need to be real familiar with the pen tool, practice on it a great deal.

That's pretty much all you need to start.

The Pen tool and Gradient Mesh are the 2 features I think are the best.

All you really need though is the pen tool, like cantinflas said, to get started. Learning how to cut paths and cut into objects is a good feature also.

The gradient mesh is for more continuous tone illustrations, and takes longer to learn, but the payoff is well worth it.

You don't need a book, just go online for a tutorial if you have problems.

Archived