Burners and Style!

STYLEISKING

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as artistic merit goes, Sofles is amazing. As far as letter form goes, when you strip back all the currently fashionable trend and distraction of using as many colours and fill techniques as humanly possible in each piece, because you're flowed paint on tap from a shithouse paint company that would be better off producing silly-string, you can clearly see that the fundamental, most crucial, element of graffiti is completely missing - letter style. There is none! If you break down the letters, you're left with nothing more than a basic throwup, if that, bubble letters.

I really hope this trend dies off sooner than the regular 5 year cycle that seems to follow trends in graffiti. This netch trend is fucking crap!

Now, before you whinge and jump down my throat, this is no personal diss to Sofles, just as a graffiti purist, and someone who has been writing for the last 21 years, i'm all for forward thinking and pushing the envelope, but slapping up a loose bubble letter, filling in with 40,000 fill techniques, then blasting out highlights with a fatcap and covering up a major section with it acts just merely as a distraction.

Like i said before, i think Sofles artistically is incredible. As far as traditional graffiti goes, i cant stand it! Sorry mate

• Like 1

As far as artistic merit goes, Sofles is amazing. As far as letter form goes, when you strip back all the currently fashionable trend and distraction of using as many colours and fill techniques as humanly possible in each piece, because you're flowed paint on tap from a shithouse paint company that would be better off producing silly-string, you can clearly see that the fundamental, most crucial, element of graffiti is completely missing - letter style. There is none! If you break down the letters, you're left with nothing more than a basic throwup, if that, bubble letters.

I really hope this trend dies off sooner than the regular 5 year cycle that seems to follow trends in graffiti. This netch trend is fucking crap!

Now, before you whinge and jump down my throat, this is no personal diss to Sofles, just as a graffiti purist, and someone who has been writing for the last 21 years, i'm all for forward thinking and pushing the envelope, but slapping up a loose bubble letter, filling in with 40,000 fill techniques, then blasting out highlights with a fatcap and covering up a major section with it acts just merely as a distraction.

Like i said before, i think Sofles artistically is incredible. As far as traditional graffiti goes, i cant stand it! Sorry mate

That is all true, but sofles is not a good example

For real? Is this simple not good enough for ya?

jugjug-550x412.jpg[/img]

Case in point. There's nothing burning about this example at all. Very basic letters that could be anyone really, and could be easily slapped up in 5 minutes. You cant look at the letters and say "yes, that's uniquely Sofles" by any stretch and there's really not that much to them to be honest. Bad example to try and justify the guy having good letter form.

Mate, I understand the argument that you're making and it sounds like the premise is good.

I just have trouble looking at stuff like this and not forgetting what it was you just said.....

pinks.jpg

Bonzai2.jpg

bonzai_2-1.jpg

So, sorry, what did you just say? I was distracted for a minute there......

Sofles can be as loose, structured or funky as he wants to be. Hes got fundamentals aplenty, its apparent to me anyway. Ya cant do some of the stuff he does without the knowledge of letter structure & still make it it look right. Ya need to know how to construct before you can deconstruct & Sofles has it. My opinion of course...

I agree with Easts points and also will add that i am sure if sofles wanted to be the 10,000th writer to bite some NY funk it would be an afterthought and although might be pulled off perfect it wouldnt be genuine. That is why i appreciate artists like Sofles that just do there own thing and not feel compelled to have to conform. There are enough fundamental writers in the world and great ones at that, why do we need more it is good to have variety in the world and when we want to see some cat do some super extravagant shit like he does it is entertaining and to me inspiring at times. I can get the same appreciation for some old simple funk as well but there will always be to ends to graffs spectrum. I cant say one is better than the other, and i can say in sofles case i would disagree with you that his letters are shit.

Sofles can be as loose, structured or funky as he wants to be. Hes got fundamentals aplenty, its apparent to me anyway. Ya cant do some of the stuff he does without the knowledge of letter structure & still make it it look right. Ya need to know how to construct before you can deconstruct & Sofles has it. My opinion of course...

Very good argument and I agree. I don't wanna bash sofles because he obviously knows what he's doing. and I guess it's all personal opinion, but I feel like the true spirit of graffiti lies in taditional wildstyle and I'd like to see more of it rather then all the flare and effect.

AEROSOL ARTISITS -VS- GRAFFITI ARTISTS ...AN AGE OLD BATTLE

on one side crazy talented artists with art degrees and classical training

on the other side gritty street kids with unrefined art skills twisting the alphabet ..

its hard to give aerosol artists respect if they never paid graffiti dues ie; trains,tracksides,

bombing etc...when someone like rime for instance has paid dues and elevates his game into the realm of aerosol art

its a good thing BUT when some hipster art student picks up a graf mag and a spray can and thinks they have credibilty its a joke..

A BURNER should have defined letters and connections along with dope flow and color

schemes ... i dont know just my 2 cents ..

Ps i love what sofles does .. is it graffiti ?? i dont think so but its def art worth seeing

• Like 1

It's funny how traditionalist always cry about this shit and always mention artschool or some shit like these privileged art students versus rough rugged urban kids being traditional. You can't be mad at someone for being good at graffiti people that choose to take shit further always get hated on cause the attention is getting shown on them its not there fault people are into there style maybe you should worry more about making your traditional style better. Everyone respects the tradition of graffiti cats like sofles askew know the history and I'm sure respect it. Guess what neither is from ny and why is there art weak cause it's not hood enough for you. I know a

Shitload of privileged trust fund kids traveling the states bombing and killing each city they come to. There keeping it real trustfund being able to travel and paint. But these cats you consider having street cred cause they bomb. Come on son. Let the graffiti speak for itself and don't be upset when people that are good get props.