bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

it's my first century and my first "group ride".

i ride long distances and big elevation gains on the solo tip quite a bit - so far the longest being 85 miles with about 6500' of climbing.

this century is through norcal's wine country, so i'm expecting a very scenic ride. it's also only about 3500 ft. of climbing.

just hope it doesn't rain.

Well, raced at PIR (a car track) today and got 2nd. It was kind of a snooze in the 4/5's. After doing those cat 1/2/3 competitive group rides the last two weeks, the pace was like a nice warmup. I did a lot of breakaway bridging, reeling people right back in and getting them to pull the group. I got a little antsy on the last lap because I was getting boxed in and wound up for a break/sprint with a couple too many kilos to go, and found myself fully sprinting a little earlier than I should have. A guy inched by me by about a wheel's length in the finish. Oh well. Next time I can do the faster category now.

There was a good crash in the 3/4's though. 5 or 6 people went down... my field was crash free luckily.

• Like 1

i used to call them Brifters, creative huh? I don't know the real name for them though.

Brifters is pretty much the real name for them. Mostly older dudes use that term though, like people that rode bikes at a time when downtube shifters were the only option.

Other than that, you can also just call them 'shifters' since they're the de facto standard for shifting anyway.

yea, i went to the lbs and they said they dont really make those for 7 speed bikes but they said they could just lock out the bottom three settings and make a 10 speed "brifter" work on my 7speed. but its going to cost atleast 125 for a pair and i dont even have derailleurs so im going to hold off on that for a while...

i think im just going to look into bar end shifters.

is it good that im learning how to ride CX and XC without using brakes on a singlespeed? i crash alot and i dont go that fast but ive heard people say if your not crashing your not practicing and if your not practicing your not getting good and if your not getting good then your not going fast and if your not going fast then your not going to be winning. it took me a second to wrap my head around that text messege but it makes sense. part of me feels like im cheating myself but another part of me feels that once i move up to a decent bike with all the fixins im going to be good.

I noticed today that my big chainring is warped, about 2-4mm. It causes the chain to rub in a couple of gears.

Is it OK just to gently bend it with something in spots?

Been raining a lot here lately. Saw a guy the other day with a rear mudguard made out of a Coke bottle. It was cut in half length ways, and the cap end was sticky taped between the seat stays. :lol:

yea, i went to the lbs and they said they dont really make those for 7 speed bikes but they said they could just lock out the bottom three settings and make a 10 speed "brifter" work on my 7speed. but its going to cost atleast 125 for a pair and i dont even have derailleurs so im going to hold off on that for a while...

i think im just going to look into bar end shifters.

is it good that im learning how to ride CX and XC without using brakes on a singlespeed? i crash alot and i dont go that fast but ive heard people say if your not crashing your not practicing and if your not practicing your not getting good and if your not getting good then your not going fast and if your not going fast then your not going to be winning. it took me a second to wrap my head around that text messege but it makes sense. part of me feels like im cheating myself but another part of me feels that once i move up to a decent bike with all the fixins im going to be good.

i would say this is not good at all. first of al, hy does your SS have no brakes? Second of all, when your talking aboutlap times having appropriate breaking technique is gonna save you as much time as other things. think about it, if u can brake better you can be faster on the entry to a corner.

I noticed today that my big chainring is warped, about 2-4mm. It causes the chain to rub in a couple of gears.

Is it OK just to gently bend it with something in spots?

Been raining a lot here lately. Saw a guy the other day with a rear mudguard made out of a Coke bottle. It was cut in half length ways, and the cap end was sticky taped between the seat stays. :lol:

im not a mechanic but i would start looking for new ring asap cause even if you bend it back its gonna have a weak point and it would suck to break your chainring while riding fast. i guess bend it back for the time being if you can. might be better off removing it, putting it on some flat metal, and using that to form it back into shape with good distributed pressure. once again im not a mechanic.

I just picked myself up a new project bike from the trash yesterday. Little 3-speed cruiser. I have it stripped to the frame right now and everything put in baggies according to where it goes and what not. Going to sand blast the fuck out of it this week and paint it. I'm thinking pearl white. We'll see how it goes putting that thing back together though. I know nothing about 3-speed hubs.

120 miles with about 3900' of climbing.

pouring rain for 3/4 of the way

my main goal was to pace myself - which i can never stick to. that goal fell by the wayside from the gate and i found myself latching onto the faster riders out of boredom. i didn't fall off - so i guess i can up my 'pace' now.

i managed to pull/over-stretch the upper part of my calf muscle and started to feel it at about mile 15.

it sucked. i had to keep my rest stops to a minimum for fear of getting cramped up from being so cold. other than that one leg being dead today, i feel great.

all in all i'm glad i did it - even though i questioned myself the whole way for volunteering for such abuse.

i'm sure i'll do it again...soon.

pb&j sandwiches FTW!

• Like 4

i would say this is not good at all. first of al, hy does your SS have no brakes? Second of all, when your talking aboutlap times having appropriate breaking technique is gonna save you as much time as other things. think about it, if u can brake better you can be faster on the entry to a corner.

because the rear brakes for some reason wouldnt clear the knobbies i put on but the front brakes did. so i have brakes, just not very effective brakes.