bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

the forks on the schwinn madisons look remarkably like the forks on bareknuckles (supposedly handbuilt in italy) which look like the forks on the GOrilla track bikes (built by ciocc and tommasini). am i to assume that all these forks are coming from the same place? i wouldnt be astonished to find out that the gorilla and EAI bikes are coming outta the same shop.

confirm?

rubbish?

Bareknuckles were handmade in Italy. The Madison fork indeed looks similar but I was under the impression that it was made in Taiwan, since Schwinn is owned by Giant. It wouldn't be that hard for two builders across the world to get the same crown lugs and fork blades... but I really don't know for sure, you could be on to something.

Gorilla frames? Do you mean EAI Toyo Godzillas? If so those are the "new" Bareknuckles and they switched production to Japan/tubing from Dedaccai to Kaisei 022.

no he's talking about Gorilla, its a french company I think. When I was over there in January a few guys had custom Gorilla polo bikes, they looked pretty cool. And the whole Ciocc/Tommasino thing is not true, all the tubing is made in the same factory but built by Gorilla

ciocc has at least something to do with gorilla as does/did tommasini. early frames had tommasini caps on the seatstays. are you saying the tubing comes outta the same factory as ciocc & tommasini, kaiser? i was unclear when reading the above. i think somewhere gorilla claims that ciocc is building for them though.

the company HQ is in zurich but the frames are "italian made."

i was only wondering because it has become practice to brand the frame but then source the fork, as is the case with all the dimestore track bikes like pake who sources their forks from tange.

i dunno. no big deal. only trivial.

hmm. did some internerding and it seems tommasini and this dude outta zurich are having a bit of a spat. gorilla guy says he talked to one uncle, tommasini USA claims they have the word of another uncle. blah blah blah.

reminds me of when the family that owns the local pizza place has a falling out so one brother or wife or what-have-you opens a second shop with the same name and pizza that tastes the same, but they wont speak of the other spot.

ahh, whatever.

I don't know why such silly things make me happy, but adding these white Hudz to my bike has me all geeked like I'm five years old and I just got the Smokey and the Bandit Firebird Hot Wheels car...

3506612300_674f1a8333.jpg

So by the way, how do you like those Hudz? A nice upgrade over the stock hood on there? The soft/grippy compound one has me interested. As far as I'm concerned with handlebar stuff, the grippier the better.

Been watching the Girl footage on Universal Sports (Comcast channel 303)... two hours everyday and it's good coverage. The emcees are kinda annoying but at least they're showing the bike race, unlike Vs. who shows one hour of stats and predictions and one hour of race footage.

Rubbish... I was hesitant to get the hoods but the aesthetics "talked" me into it. I had read reviews about them before doing so and found that most people liked them more than the stock hoods but mostly for the change in shape that Hudz made to the Dura Ace covers. Personally, I like the Hudz version mainly for the new shape but I think the stock hoods have more grip. The Hudz rubber is not as soft as the stock hoods but you don't really notice that when you're riding on them. They feel more like Campy hoods than Dura Ace hoods, in rubber compound and shape... and I like that.

When I was looking at reviews I read about another company called F&N (Far and Near) who also make colored brake hoods and the reviews I read were saying that they were much better than Hudz. More grip and more gummy. I've only seen them here - http://fairwheelbikes.com/brake-hoods-grips-c-74.html?zenid=0d6fd789a7f0afb7b0b14ad0696fcc16 - but I haven't really done a ton of searching. They're also about $10 cheaper than Hudz. I should have gone the F&N route...

Been riding a lot but not seeing any real gains in fitness or strength. Finally put myself on a diet to lose some of this winter weight because I'm sick of being dropped in the hills. Did some hill repeats today and thought I was going to puke when I finished the last one. It was nice to take it easy with a few laps around Fairmont though...

here's a trivial question, but most everybody i ha ve asked (i have asked many a person) doesnt have an answer for me...

what do the bicycle racing stripes (i.e. green, yellow, black, red, blue) color scheme mean/where does it come from? is there a history somewhere?

on an unrelated note: who all here can build wheels? i will be (kind of) apprenticing with a friend of mine who makes his living selling bikes & wheelsets on ebay/craigslist and i will be building a new back wheel to enable myself to ride the local velodrome (NSC, blaine, mn.) at some point this summer. i was told i need to take classes which makes sense to no let any old fool (me) just hop on and hurt themselves. anyone ever ridden velodrome?

done

I'm going to take a wild stab at the World Champion color bands used for the Rainbow Jersey and say that the color scheme itself was taken from the rings of the Olympics and used by the UCI. Could be wayyyyy off base but like I said... just taking a stab at it.

on an unrelated note: who all here can build wheels? i will be (kind of) apprenticing with a friend of mine who makes his living selling bikes & wheelsets on ebay/craigslist and i will be building a new back wheel to enable myself to ride the local velodrome (NSC, blaine, mn.) at some point this summer. i was told i need to take classes which makes sense to no let any old fool (me) just hop on and hurt themselves. anyone ever ridden velodrome?

done

Here's the book you want to get-

the+bicycle+wheel.jpg

It's kind of technical but it's very comprehensive and well written. If you're mechanically-minded, are good with your hands and can understand all the concepts in there, you'll be able to build wheels after reading it twice (I did say it was technical).

I've built maybe ten wheels (most SS rears and fronts) and almost all of them worked out fine. The only pair that didn't come out so hot were my first set of road wheels. I overtensioned the back wheel because I wasn't used to dish and for some reason the front came out the same way...they were rideable, just not very forgiving.

hey anyone used http://www.amazon.com/Leaf-Timbuk2-Classic-Messenger-Bag/dp/B000TGSVQK ?

small size

for commute and light camera gear and such. yay or nay?

They're too small for starters and Timbuk2 is is disposable consumer-grade crap. Get something at least 27" across, 10" high and 9" deep (in other words, normal messenger bag size)...otherwise you're carrying around a purse.

Here's a couple of good companies...you're going to pay more but it's worth it-

ReLoad Bags (I worked for them)

Freight Baggage (He helped me make my first bag)

BaileyWorks (Simple/good design, not too expensive, cool dudes)

PAC Designs (Incredibly well-made, but pricey...nice people)

Think about it this way...if you buy a bag that lasts six years for $150, you're getting a far better deal than buying an $80 bag every two years. I've only seen maybe ten Timbuk2 bags last for more than a couple years in my life...and I've seen a LOT of Timbuk2 bags.

PROOOOPPed

and I need something to where on my bike/ longboard (occasionally)

I dont need a huge fackin bag, get enough to carry a few drinks, camera gear, and such

ill check those links out.

friend just got a chrome, its dope, but fuck that little buckle

My BaileyWorks is going strong after ~2.5 years...

Best thing about owning the bag is random people from the east coast coming up to me and telling me about the kid that started the company/makes the bags. Try having that happen with your Timbuk2...

Actually, I've met some people that were higher up at Timbuk2. They used to host a big race every 4th of July in SF and have donated a lot of bags to other races/events/foundations/charity...so they're nice enough, just different as far as priorities go. Apparently one of the vice presidents bought a bag I made at a silent auction for $175 a while back. That was weird.

a/s/l, just get a bigger bag. In all likelihood you're going to end up replacing a small bag with a larger one eventually, so save yourself the headache and spend a few more bucks now on something useful.

It's possible to switch out the buckle but it's kind of a pain in the ass, though. Use one of these-

f2a2da3d-6580-4ae1-a964-118a689b176b.jpg

Make sure the female (bottom) piece is on the SHOULDER side. Threading it is pretty self-explanatory (it's just like the same thing on a backpack, look at one of those). Use a seam ripper or a X-acto knife to cut the seams...once you get it all pinned together take it to a shoe or upholstery shop and tell them you need them to stitch it up.

Or get a Bailey. They use a trovato buckle based reversible design and aren't much more expensive.

I think the buckle is a little flashy and draws attention, I'm trying to get from point a to point b, not impress some hispters

I might go with a bailey, but i wanna see some pictures of them on people, vids on youtube and such.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to shai hulud again.

lets put it this way...

you have the bag strapped on tight to keep it from slipping around under your arm.

it is full to near fifteen/twenty pounds with whatever you have in it.

do you want to have to pull that over your head and arm?

do you want to count on a plastic clip?

i have a chrome bag, the large one, whatever its called.

(i have it set up so the quick release strap loosener doesnt work, solid)

but mostly i just use a plain old backpack for lighter loads/painting/booze cruises.

and not-being-concerned-with-what-hipsters-think is the new being-concerned-with-what-hipsters-think.

word

i think im going to go with the Chrome Citizen black with black buckle, so no shiney shiney glare from chrome

any good documentaries on bike messengers and such?

and what they hype with fixies? simplicity?

im coming from BMX and mountain biking

hook it up with some knowledge on road biking and such

and aren't there really skinny tires, skinny, not so skinny, and normal bmx and such?

i want something with grip so I dont slip if I hit some water and such

/NEWB