Tenth Planet?

Don't Panic

How will this shit affect my horoscope?

Sun> Mercury> Venus> Earth> Mars> Jupiter> Saturn> Uranus> Neptune> Pluto>... Sedna?

It's another world ... but is it our 10th planet?

The Australian

SCIENTISTS have found a new world orbiting the solar system – more than 3 billion kilometres further away from the Sun than Pluto and 40 years away from Earth in a space shuttle.

NASA is expected to announce today the discovery of the space object, which some experts believe could be a new planet.

It is provisionally known as Sedna, after the Inuit goddess of the sea.

The discovery of Sedna – 10 billion kilometres from Earth – is a testament to the new generation of high-powered telescopes.

Measurements suggest Sedna's diameter is almost 2000km – the biggest find in the solar system since Pluto was discovered 74 years ago. It is believed to be made of ice and rock, and is slightly smaller than Pluto.

The find will reignite the debate over what constitutes a planet. Some scientists claim even Pluto is too small to count as one.

According to astronomer Michael Brown of the California Institute of Technology, who discovered Sedna, there could be many other new worlds orbiting the Sun and waiting to be discovered.

"Sedna is very big, and much further out than previous discoveries," he said. "I'm pretty sure there are other large bodies up there too."

But physicist and cosmologist Paul Davies, of Sydney's Macquarie University, said it was folly to describe Sedna as a planet. "It's fun, it's exciting, but let's keep it in proportion," Professor Davies said yesterday.

He said scientists had known for "a decade or so the solar system does not come to an abrupt halt" and there were a number of "planetessimals" or little planets, like Sedna

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Re: Re: Tenth Planet?

Originally posted by gfreshsushi

it's a rock, get over it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1320000/images/_1323777_crackhead150.jpg'>

But it's one big ass rock. Actually, I think the difference between asteroids and planets (one of them at least), is that asteroids are big rocks. Planets are groups of rocks and other smaller things held together by their own gravity. <stolen from slashdot a few minutes ago and not sure about accuracy.

HOMEBOYS IN OUTERSPACE

http://epguides.com/HomeboysinOuterSpace/cast.jpg'>

I think Pluto and those other "planets" are nothing more than large comets that happened to fall into a fixed orbit. Their extreme distances, the fact that they exist out there near the comet fields, and their unorthodox elliptical orbits around the sun resemble that of a typical comet. Just my opinion.

does anyone stop and actually think about how we're these little speks on earth. then theres our solar system. then theres tons of solar systems around ours all within just one galaxy. then theres tons of galaxies around our one galaxy. its just crazy to think there is all this 'space' around our small world here. never ending boundaries. and im just chillin in a chair typing on a keyboard on this planet.

ps. that pic above is hilarious.

yea ive heard bout this for some time now, but wether or not sedna is a planet may be debatable, but the fact that we discovered something new orbiting our sun is news on its own, this just goes to show how important our telescopes are (huble is due to be shut down for those who didnt know), personally i hope it is classified as a new planet...that kind of shit is dope, and again it just goes to show how little we know about space...shit we dont even know how many planets are in our solar system:eek:

Originally posted by Daze One Million

yea ive heard bout this for some time now, but wether or not sedna is a planet may be debatable, but the fact that we discovered something new orbiting our sun is news on its own, this just goes to show how important our telescopes are (huble is due to be shut down for those who didnt know), personally i hope it is classified as a new planet...that kind of shit is dope, and again it just goes to show how little we know about space...shit we dont even know how many planets are in our solar system:eek:

Yeah how the fuck do they find planets in other solar systems before they find out the other planets revolving around our own sun?

They just said on the news that Sedna is so far away from the sun, that if you were to stand on Sedna and raise a pin up in the sky, you could block out the sun with that

To me it really ain't that big of a deal. They had been talking about the possibility of a 10th planet for years based on evidence they retrieved... they just could never physically confirm it. Plus there are probably more planets out there waiting to be discovered, and all it does is raise the questions on what can be classified as a planet and what can't. Personally I think Pluto and other small "ice planets" passed it are nothing more than large comet chunks that fell into a fixed orbit.

Archived