the faith of aerosol/graffiti art

roler one tm7

Originally posted by funkUup

hmm this discussion could go on forever, howerver things change and for graff it has been for the worst, too many kids in the game for the wrong reasons. After 18 years in the game the only thing that keeps me going is the love of the art and keeping long lost traditions alive. Most younger writers are too "Tuff" to be mentored and reject constuctive critisizm of their work by old schoolers who they consider to be "living in the past."

The bottom line for me is this: I'm going to keep rocking fresh pieces by the hundreds for as long as possible. Instead of bitching and whining about how wack the new writers are I'll do my best to lead by example. Sooner or later the props will come...If one or two kids can be influenced by my work along the way then mission accomplished. If not.. then I'll have a fat photo album full of dope flicks to show my kids and grand kids while Im sitting in my rocking chair and smoking a pipe remembering the good ole days..

here, here money, my feelings exactly, as someone whos`s 11 year old son draws and has started experimenting with the paint, i feel a swell of pride when he tells me he wants be like me, but i do push him to draw and not write, because i feel he has the potential to be a nasty artist first, a burner second...you said aerosol/graff art has changed for the worst what must be done to get it to change for the better, i`ve been at this for close to 30 yrs on and off...amd i want to be at for as long as i exist.

now i know we are suppose to stay positive with this but TEN CENTS are you searching for glory or do you not understand discussion only, thats a truly hardheaded move, we are TALKING here....the reason for no pics is fast turnaround for responses, is this what everyone talking about when it comes to respect....moderator can you please remove these flicks...thanks, and TEN CENTS start your own thread

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by PedroHammers

agreed.

i came into the graffiti world under a mentor, he was my seniour me his junior, i learned handstyles, fillins and how to execute productions.

the one thing that i see lacking these days is the "mentor"

there is really only one sided action going on. i only piece, i only bomb, i only catch tags... etc.

what i find missing and most upsetting in todays graffiti scene is the well rounded painter, the one that understands every facet of the scene.

understands what his or her place is in the grand scheme of things.

the problem is that everyone wants everything now, and nobody understands that what they make today may well be the cave paintings when we are all done.

i definitly agree. this is because many of todays newer writers have a universal mentor..........the internet.

knowledge that was not easily attainable (spots, techniques...etc) to newer or less experienced writers is now easily acquired via the internet.

in many ways this is a catch 22. worldwide access to info, flix etc. is a great tool to network and all that good stuff.

but for many of the younger kids they aren't paying any dues to gain the info. for many of them it's as simple of starting a post asking for an answer to their question. "how do i find this spot?" "what's a good technique for racking?" "what's a good spot to rack from?" etc.......

so by having this surrogate mentor, i think many of these kids are losing out on certain ethics and the such.

this thread is a nice addition to brickslayers, please leave it up!

nice to hear from roler too

peace! ten cents no prob, it`s true the internet is a blessing and a curse, but that was also said about magazines, to me the internet is a great way to see what we wouldn`t get to see round the way but...it does thrust the rookies into the arena of the pros without due process, when i took ivory under it`s was the most frustrating time in my art career, money just wouldn`t listen and would bitch when his work came off wrong, but in time he gave in and took what knowledge i had use it to his advantage, then he took tich under and that cat got nice...you see even in this much maligned artform there is a chain of command and when you don`t repect that you get nothin but internal disorder...we have the dmc turntable contest, rap awards and keep it real graffiti. i wish we had a world supremecy battle where a busted area is subjected to a week of hardcore burners and chars. and judged by a jury of our peers wouldn`t that be a beautiful thing...but i digress...holla

A bunch of dead-on points made here already....I'll just add a few extra thoughts...

Roler asks if the USA has fallen off..... I might have some geographic bias based on where I'm from, but I see so much raw talent, style, and can control coming out of the west coast, that I still feel like the US is on top of things graffiti wise. I think the US still has it. Just look at LA alone ....bombing, handstyles, characters, productions, and just plain style. pieces with solid letters that still look good after you break them apart and strip away the frills and color. I'm not sure Europe has that yet. I've been fortunate enough to go over there a couple times now and I've loved it. I've seen some incredible stuff over there for sure, but I just don't think it's as dope as magazines and the internet make us believe. (keep in mind that this is being said by someone who tries to figure out ways to get over to Europe every chance I get) There's so many fucking european graffiti magazines that the world ends up seeing a large portion of what's being done there, as far as I can tell. Can anyone even guess how many euro mags are currently being produced? Now how many Mags are coming out of Cali? the west coast?...the whole US?.....just a couple, and it's not because people aren't getting up here. So much fresh stuff will never get published from out here...so many fresh pieces have been long since seen, appreciated, flicked, and buffed, and will never make it to any german, italian, or swiss printing presses. I don't know what the story is behind that....whether it's a money thing or what. Like old growth pointed out, spraypaint companies do not market to writers here at all. Krylon publicly opposes graffiti by supporting that "graffiti hurts" shit and by watering down their paint a bit more every year. The average writer getting his shit from walmart or home depot has like one shade of each color to choose from, maybe two. Okay it's late and I'm starting to ramble......I think to sum up my thoughts right now...there's a lot of fresh graffiti being produced the world over, but with the "graffiti media" being the way it is representation and documentation isn't always fair....and that skews our collective view of things. There's some kid painting a dope piece in Mexico city or Denver or El Paso or Pittsburgh right now and we'll never know.

Old growth was on point with his last couple lines.

Guest roger pitss

STICK TO THE TOPIC

DELETE THEM FLICKS

AND SEW IS A PHOTOSHOP GANGSTA

ROLER YOU'RE ON POINT WITH THE TOPIC

AND ALSO REMEMBER WE MUST BE READY FOR CHANGE

SOME TIMES CHANGE IS GOOD

yea sew is nice with his on the wall, in the books he devotion is unquestoned and i got up close to his work and it`s very clean not a pictorial cleanup, speaking of mags is the internet slowly becomin the mag of choice and yo i wanna see the west coast work today who`s doin the hot shit, i wanna see the up and coming on my end so i can direct the japanese cats to these sites, cause even tho the style was originated in the east it was the west that changed the game with the hyper rendering and the unsung heros green and genius doin bangin productions without the designer joints of today, the slick vs hex battle that had all kinds of tricks in there that had me swearing they were usin airbrush, just pure CAN CONTROL...think of it this way this is the transcendent artform what other movement brings together muthaphucka`s from across the planet that are into the same thing ....drawing...outside of tattooing...is there growth in the artform?

that hex and slick battle was insane.

ymi crew outta bklyn (sek3, cern, names, space, cosmo) gets slept on, these guys are always doing insane shit, and they have a unique style.

i think that compared to alot of stuff coming out of NY they are taking things to a new level. them and TD4.

peace! just got just back from checkin roy ayers, don`t now if alot of you young heads know this cat but he he`s a legend in the jazz fusion style of music, i know a few of his jams and he`s been sampled by mad artist, but anyway i`m checkin these old school cats out and i`m thinkin this cat is nice with his, lookin like someones grand dad, when my shorty leans into me and says "that`s you in about 15yrs", i immediately think whoa beer belly bill cosby lookin cat with locs! shitttt i workout to hard to go that route, is she sayin i`m gettin that fat, but then she leans back in with a little giggle and says "you know with that spray can art of yours" then she does the universal pressing/hand swipeing movement, then turns around and continues to check the show...for the rest of the show all i could think of was goin piecein...classic....

Originally posted by heavyLox

What I find most ridiculous about American graff-

1. There are way too many tuff guys, who like to

fight and protect there honor, but in reality are

just nervous insecure dudes who want their art to

be appreciated.

2. People have a really hard time taking

criticisms about their work but are very quick to

say how wack some one else is.

3. I hate being asked how I think some thing

looks when I know most people don’t want my

open and honest opinion. If I think it sucks or

could be better, so what who am I, besides the

person you asked. Most people want the generic

reassurance of, " oh that’s fresh man, couldn't be

fresher"

4. If you cant find problems with even your

favorite work it will never get better.

5. "Real writers are really scared of what they

don’t understand. If it doesn’t fit the "Graff" mold,

tags, letters, 3ds, so on, its not graff? Wtf is that.

If it’s done in public Illegally IT IS GRAFFITI. End.

6. Graffiti is at its heart a rebel art form it only

makes sense that at this point there should be a

lot of people making their own rules. There will

always be folks who hold the origins in high

esteem, but their willingness to freeze it in time is

stupid and very short sighted.

7. The last thing is that I have often thought that

because of the world wars destroying much of

Europe, as well as being a pre-war design power

house. The Ensuing reconstruction, re-design has

lead Europeans of our generation have a greater

natural sense of design, not to mention most of

my favorite design stuff, print, web, package

design, and motion graphics are bested by

Europeans. When I was in Holland I was

awestruck at the level of design that went into

really mundane stuff, like highway barriers. The

American aesthetic is so unrefined in comparison,

American cars are a perfect example, they work,

but their level of design sux. This is only a theory

so far but there is something there. But I feel like

this in some ways has helped them better

integrate the American formula of letters and

characters. For a long time I shied away from

characters cause I never got the connection

between letters and some random cartoon or

photographic representation.

Any way I haven’t had power for over 18 hours so I’m ranting a lil sorry.

Thank You, I kinda lost you after number 5, my attention span isn't fully functionable. But if prolly was so true. I can relate to you 100% percent from what you just said. Only everyone thought the way we did.... only if..

• 4 weeks later...

Archived