Train Heights

Daze One Million

stupid question but seriously asking, how far from the ground on average do the wheels go up, because from round here ive seen some pretty high ass trains but in flicks around this site they dont seem that big...is it just a camera issue or are certain trains lower than others? and what do you mostly come across?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

The wheels and trucks are all the same height, its just how the body is mounted to the trucks. On double stacks the trucks tuck into the car to compensate for the excess height of the containers and to bring the center of gravity closer to the ground w/ its height and long length. On Pullman-Standard 3 bay hoppers the body is mounted high to aid in the gravity induced unloading process of the grain (take about 2 damn milkcrates to reach), as opposed to ACF smoothside hoppers which sit a lower but if you look under them their are big gaps between the "chutes". It really all depends on the design, weight of cargo to be moved, and its ability to transport cargo safely and effectively.

Bosco has most of it covered. A lot of boxcar floors (inside) start at 4 feet. Some hang lower in the middle without adding any interior space, it's just a matter of how the frame was built.

I might add, most boxcars are 14 to 14 1/2 feet tall, and autoracks and excess height boxes substantially taller. Freight wholecars are no joke.

• 2 weeks later...

By the way

Even though it's definately possible to stand up under a grainer in the space between the hopper chutes, DON'T DO IT. If the train moves, you are dead meat. These spaces, on some models of grainers (Canadian grainers and Cadillac grainers) seem almost designed to help you hide from security people. but like I said, the "potentially dismembered" risk is high enough to increase my pucker factor off the scale.

Archived